The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

When Do Male Pups Need To Breed?

markE

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
how old are dogs usually when they start to feel the need to, well you know, copulate?

Harvee was ready to mate his sister at about 4 months (w00t) , dosnt mean you let `um though :- "

I have had dogs pups `humping` in the nest :oops: :cheers: :lol:

markE said:
how old are dogs usually when they start to feel the need to, well you know, copulate?
Although a young puppy does not have the urge to procreate, males do engage in sexual play in the form of mounting, as early as 5 weeks. At this stage, they probably have no idea what they are rehearsing, though successful mounting presumably establishes something about the relationship between two pups. Testosterone levels climb in young male dogs, hitting a first peak at about 5 months of age. By this time, their mounting and thrusting behavior may be becoming a nuisance to their owners. At 7 months, dogs may seek to mate, attracted by pheromones put off by bitches.Mating usually occurs for the first time when the dog is around one year of age.

hope this helps? :thumbsup:

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM Little Fynn is just about to hit one, I am constantly dragging him off all sorts of dogs, male and female, front and back at the moment. It is driving me potty (w00t) .He is danger of having his enormous plums plucked at this rate!

Many a year ago,my friend had her 5 month old gsd mate one of her bitches who went on toproduced a litter :blink:

Needless to say,this was an accident :oops:

Odd topic title. To answer it they don't. :thumbsup:

I've known of 7 month old pups being used at stud successfully.

Most people wait until the dog is much older and has developed fully so that any faults show up. Also so that the dogs temperament can be assessed properly.

~whitecross whippets~ said:
markE said:
Although a young puppy does not have the urge to procreate, males do engage in sexual play in the form of mounting, as early as 5 weeks. At this stage, they probably have no idea what they are rehearsing, though successful mounting presumably establishes something about the relationship between two pups. Testosterone levels climb in young male dogs, hitting a first peak at about 5 months of age. By this time, their mounting and thrusting behavior may be becoming a nuisance to their owners. At 7 months, dogs may seek to mate, attracted by pheromones put off by bitches.Mating usually occurs for the first time when the dog is around one year of age.

hope this helps? :thumbsup:

I doubt that dogs have ever the urge to procreate. I am sure they have no idea that copulation will result in pups and vice versa.

As far as little puppies humping each other goes, that is a game with some dominance overtones, boys hump girls or boys, girls also hump girls or boys.

Real mating usually occurs when somebody decides the dog is good enough to breed from. I had entire males (Borzois) who were not used at stud until they were matured and gained championship title (about 4). They were both housedogs, along with some entire bitches, and interestingly they were never nuisance.

markE said:
remember entire males do not wait for their owners permission to mate...so any entire male should not be left alone with a bitch in season...regardless of the breed or you may end up with unwanted puppies !

of course if you were thinking of neutering?...then maybe this link would be helpful?

good luck with whatever you intend to do :luck:

http://www.apbc.org.uk/article4.htm

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back