The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

When dog walking can you let the dog run free in a park?

Dogtastic101

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hello everyone! I'm 14 years old and have joined this forum because I love dogs and I am really knowledgeable about dogs and dedicate my time to learning about them and dog body language. I want to become a dog walker when I turn 16! :) I just wanted to ask, if you are a dog walker can you let the dog run free and play at a park will they return even though you aren't their owner? Thank you so much and have a lovely week everyone. :)

As in so much concerning dogs, it depends... there's no hard n fast rule. :oops:
The 1st Q to ask the owner is, how good is this dog's recall with U? - can s/he be called in reliably?
Will they come to the owner at least 8 times of 10 single cues? [80% compliance]

then it further depends on how well-proofed the dog has been - can they be called in when other dogs are present? When other ppl are there? When they're sniffing tracks, chasing, or watching a prey animal?
What if they see a roaming cat? - will they chase, kill her / him if possible, or ignore the kitty?

Proofing is the part of training where most owners fall down on the job; sure, U can call Ur dog to U in the home garden... when no visitors are present, & the neighbor's dog isn't outside, barking, & there are no squirrels, birds, cats, or children in sight... So what? :confused: . That's an extremely-low bar, & it's pretty useless away from home!

Proofing is the process of adding the 3 Ds: Distractions, Distance [from the handler], & Duration [of the behavior] to the training process; no dog can be "well-trained" if s/he has never been proofed, & each individual exercise gets proofed step by step, gradually raising the level of difficulty.

The last bit is the dog's response to U as an individual - some dogs take longer to warm up to a stranger than others; some make friends very quickly, & will respond to cues from U just as well as they'd respond to the same cues from their owner.
All of these factors - how much training they've had, how much proofing they've had, how sociable & affiliative they are as individuals, & how well U two hit it off - determine if they can be free INSIDE a fenced park.

Personally, until i got to know them well, I would not let any client's dog off leash OUTside a fence - just in case. As a trainer or dog-walker, I'm legally responsible for the animal's safety, & also liable for any damages that dog might cause; if they ran into the street & caused an accident between 2 cars who swerved to avoid hitting the dog, I could face thousands of dollars in costs.
I can always use a long-line to let them romp in an unfenced area, or use a bike with a K9-Springer attachment to jog the dog safely at low speeds. :)

JMO & IME, YMMV,
- terry

As in so much concerning dogs, it depends... there's no hard n fast rule. :oops:
The 1st Q to ask the owner is, how good is this dog's recall with U? - can s/he be called in reliably?
Will they come to the owner at least 8 times of 10 single cues? [80% compliance]

then it further depends on how well-proofed the dog has been - can they be called in when other dogs are present? When other ppl are there? When they're sniffing tracks, chasing, or watching a prey animal?
What if they see a roaming cat? - will they chase, kill her / him if possible, or ignore the kitty?

Proofing is the part of training where most owners fall down on the job; sure, U can call Ur dog to U in the home garden... when no visitors are present, & the neighbor's dog isn't outside, barking, & there are no squirrels, birds, cats, or children in sight... So what? :confused: . That's an extremely-low bar, & it's pretty useless away from home!

Proofing is the process of adding the 3 Ds: Distractions, Distance [from the handler], & Duration [of the behavior] to the training process; no dog can be "well-trained" if s/he has never been proofed, & each individual exercise gets proofed step by step, gradually raising the level of difficulty.

The last bit is the dog's response to U as an individual - some dogs take longer to warm up to a stranger than others; some make friends very quickly, & will respond to cues from U just as well as they'd respond to the same cues from their owner.
All of these factors - how much training they've had, how much proofing they've had, how sociable & affiliative they are as individuals, & how well U two hit it off - determine if they can be free INSIDE a fenced park.

Personally, until i got to know them well, I would not let any client's dog off leash OUTside a fence - just in case. As a trainer or dog-walker, I'm legally responsible for the animal's safety, & also liable for any damages that dog might cause; if they ran into the street & caused an accident between 2 cars who swerved to avoid hitting the dog, I could face thousands of dollars in costs.
I can always use a long-line to let them romp in an unfenced area, or use a bike with a K9-Springer attachment to jog the dog safely at low speeds. :)

JMO & IME, YMMV,
- terry

Thank you so much for the insightful reply, I really appreciate it. Have a lovely week or weekend depending on wherever you are! :)

Welcome, If you make a contract with the owner then they can sign if they want their dog to be let off or kept on the lead.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back