The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Which Puppy Is Which

debsandben

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
JUST WONDERING HOW OTHER PEOPLE WITH A LITTER OF PUPPIES ALL THE SAME COLOUR, MARK EACH PUPPY TO DETERMINE WHICH IS WHICH, AFTER THEY HAVE BEEN PICKED?

I HAVE A LARGE LITTER OF ROTTWEILERS AND SOME ARE SO ALIKE.

ADVICE GRATEFULLY RECIEVED.

debsandben said:
JUST WONDERING HOW OTHER PEOPLE WITH A LITTER OF PUPPIES ALL THE SAME COLOUR, MARK EACH PUPPY TO DETERMINE WHICH IS WHICH, AFTER THEY HAVE BEEN PICKED?I HAVE A LARGE LITTER OF ROTTWEILERS AND SOME ARE SO ALIKE.

ADVICE GRATEFULLY RECIEVED.

With my last litter of 11 pups, most of whom were black, I either painted one toe nail with nail varnish, in different shades, or cut a notch of hair from an unobtrusive place on the body and then made sure I wrote down which colour/hair patch belonged to which hound/prospective owner. When they got older, and I was getting them used to collars, the remaining pups all wore different coloured ones.

:thumbsup:

I once had a litter of 15 blue great danes, by the time they were 4 or 5 weeks old I could tell them all appart. No two pups are exactly the same. :)

I know people who use coloured rick-rack (think wavy trim for sewing) and make little collars - different colour for each dog. Make new ones every couple of days as the pups grow.

Wendy

Seraphina said:
I once had a litter of 15 blue great danes, by the time they were 4 or 5 weeks old I could tell them all appart.  No two pups are exactly the same.  :)
Flippin eck! (w00t) now thats what I call a huge litter!

lOVELY LOOKING PUPS! Do u still keep Gt Danes?

The coloured collar made from wool or rick rack seems to be quite popular with breeders of Hungarian vizslas,they really do look alike as pups!

One woman we heard of was nearly put off going to see what the breeder refered to as the "Green Dog" .She was having visions of a green viszla! :blink: On arrival at breeders home she realised the pups all wore different coloured collars made from wool for id purposes. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
:lol: love the idea of different coloured nail varnish :lol:

Hi - with my Siamese Kittens that are born all white then colour up afterwards I use soft elasticated hair bands of different colours and keep a chart of which colour is which male/female,date, time they were born weight etc. I start off with smallish bands because the kittens are tiny then change them as they grow but keep the same colours. I can discard the band if there is only 1 of each colour but if all the same the colour coding is brilliant . Sue

imperative said:
Seraphina said:
I once had a litter of 15 blue great danes, by the time they were 4 or 5 weeks old I could tell them all appart.  No two pups are exactly the same.  :)
Flippin eck! (w00t) now thats what I call a huge litter!

No, I gave them up long time ago.

i did in the past attempt to mark a very small pup, when somebody booked one and insisted, but no collar ever stayed on long enough. I do put however pieces of stretchy fabric around puppies necks from about the 6 weeks on, just to get them used to having something around their necks. They remove them off each other, but if they were not able to, i would worry they could strangle themselves. Nail varnish is definitely a better option.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back