The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Whippet Age

Nicola

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Is a whippet past his best for racing at 5 years old? I would like to introduce my whippet to racing. I am thinking of contacting the WCRA to enquire about a local racing club, but wondered if I'd left it too late now.

Nicola,

Most whippets are at their peak at the age of 3, so yes they are past their best at five years old although most dogs do only lose a couple of yards in speed.  I wouldn't at all let this stop you getting into the sport though as most whippets need hardly any training at all to chase (i'm sure your whippet has chased the odd cat in it's time) also be it pedigree racing or non pedigree racing, they both have races for veterans (over 5 years).

Good Luck Nicola, let us know how you get on!!!!

------

Vicky

Hi Nicola

As Vicky has said 5 is just past there best in most cases but there is still a lot of fun to be had with a 5 year old, most whippets given the chance will race and becouse clubs run a handicap system it doesn't matter how fasy your dog is it will still get a chance of winning.

if you e/mail me your details i'll put you in touch with your local club secretary who will then give you details of when and where they race (normally Sundays) and i'll send you a booklet we produce on training dogs for racing.

mark@whippet48.freeserve.co.uk

hope you get going soon Mark

Hi Nicola

I have to agree, in most cases a whippet at 5 years old is past it's best speedwise, but what fun you can have with them!  They are allowed to apply for a WCRA passport to run at opens until they are 8 years old, but you can't apply for a first time passport after 8.  They can run until they are 10, so you have a lot of fun left in racing your dog.  It's amazing to see the excitement, and the change in personality when you take them racing.  It's almost as though they have found their purpose in life.  We started full time racing with two show bred dogs who were never going to be world beaters.  We took them to shows when they were young, and they hated it.  They were quite nervous really, and shyed away from the judge when he/she approached.  Racing brought them out of their shells, and the nervousness disappeared almost overnight.  Unfortunately we lost one of them due to illness, but the other still races now, and is nearly nine.

Going back to the 5 year old thing, one of the whippets running at the Northern club became a champion at 5 years old.  WCRCh Little Beba was either 5, or nearly five when she won her full coat, and a great day it was too.  Due to other good dogs on the racing circuit, it was a long time coming, but she eventually made it and the Northern members at the Championships got a bit carried away with it all.

You don't say if you have any other whippets, and I note that you are a junior member.  If you are a single whippet owner, it is only a matter of time before another comes along - don't tell your parents I said so though!!  Good luck in whatever you decide.

Thanks for your encouraging replies. I've e-mailed Mark and he is forwarding me more details. The Northern Pedigree Whippet Racing Club is the nearest to me, so I hope to go along one Sunday.

I only have the one whippet. He's very shy and nervous, but goes beserk when he spots a squirrel in our local park. If he does qualify to race then I think he would really enjoy it. Yes, I think it would bring him out of himself a bit.

June, I'm not a junior member in the age sense (I'm 33), it's just that I've posted a number of messages on this board before, and after a certain number, one automatically get promoted to Junior Member from Newbie. It made me chuckle...couldn't think of anything worse than being a junior all over again...I much prefer my adult status :) As to more whippets...wishful thinking on my part...my partner won't let me have any more! Maybe I could persuade him to come with me to the racing and he might reconsider!

Well done June foot in mouth time again "dont tell your parents" :biggrin:

Nice one June

see u soon nicola

Hi Nicola

Sorry about my stupidness!!  I hadn't realised that you get promoted on the board - something I hadn't even thought of!  Get your partner along to the racing, he'll soon be hooked an want another younger whippet to race. ;) Mark will look after you at the Northern, we used to race there but now live in Hereford so go to the Independent - another good crowd.  If your dog would like to chase a squirrel, he will love racing.  Good luck, and enjoy, let us know how you get on.

I took my Whippet, Fred, racing on Sunday, to the Northern Pedigree Whippet Racing Club grounds. It rained all Sunday afternoon with no let up. Fred and I got soaked despite our coats and waterproofs. Fred didn't have a clue why I'd brought him and just sat and shivered...that is until he saw 4 whippets hurtle past chasing the lure! Suddenly his ears ears pricked, he jumped to his feet, yelped in excitement! He forgot the cold and looked at me in amazement!

I was allowed give him a couple of trials. The first time he just ran to me at the other end of the track and ignored the lure. He knew that he was supposed to run along the track, but didn't realise he had to chase the lure. He was a bit confused but looked pleased with himself all the same. The second time he kept looking to me at the end of the track and chased the lure as well. He was definitely getting the idea. I saw the look of excitement on his face and knew we'd be coming back for more!

Thanks for the welcome Mark (nice to meet you for real!). Despite the cold and wet we're definitely hooked. We'll be back!

PS. (refering to your last message June..no need to apologise ....easy mistake to make!Thanks for the encouragement!)

Thanks for the comments Nichola

he'll soon get the idea, as you saw Sunday he soon forgot about being wet and started to enjoy him self, and before long he will be as noisy as the rest.

(Edited by Mark Roberts at 3:19 pm on Oct. 23, 2001)

Glad you enjoyed it Nicola.  I have found that racing is the only time our whippets don't mind getting wet - not so sure about the humans though!  I was line judging at the Gloucester open a few weeks ago, and of course you have no choice but to stand out in it.  I don't think I have ever been wetter whilst being fully dressed!  My boots had puddles inside.  The weather was so awful I didn't think we should run our dogs in the finals.  I worried about the ground being slippy, and also that they wouldn't really enjoy it, but I was very wrong.  (I also thought of having to shower the mud off them when we got home!!)  They absolutely loved running in the rain and I was amazed.  Normally when we're out walking they will walk around puddles, but they came off the track looking very pleased with themselves.  We always call them wimps, but perhaps they are tough after all!!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back