The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Whippet Agility

Cecilia Eastwood

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I am hoping to get a whippet to train to do agility. I already do agility with my Samoyed. I have thought about a Border Coliie but tend to prefer dogs that are not so usual in the sport. We are now in our second year of competition and doing well and during that time I have only seen one Whippet competing. I know they can be very good if trained the right way. I have had some difficulty with finding trainers who understand my Samoyed’s attitude to training. He will switch off if things get too repetitive or sometimes if he simply doesn’t feel like it, (maybe he is hot or simply has had enough). He likes to have fun and if training stops being fun he will respond accordingly. Sounds a bit like a whippet from what I have read about them. Does anyone know of an Agility Trainer, not a huge distance from me, who knows about sighthounds and understands their quirks and requirements. If so I would love to hear about them. (I am near the Essex/Cambridgeshire/Suffolk borders.)

Surprised there isn't a reply to this, so...... bump! Anyone?

Hello @Cecilia Eastwood - I'm afraid I cannot offer any help as I have a lazy Labrador! but @Whippylove may be able to help? lots of other whippet owners on here to (sorry having mind blank at the moment)

Whippets can be a bit hard to train, but only that in general they do not like repeating the same thing. They are sensitive dogs that need gentle positive training. With gentle training and doing a variety they do well. I only did a couple of sessions at Agility training, (they started on a week day evening then changed to Sunday due to going dark, and Sunday is race day). She was getting into it and obviously enjoyed it. For sure they have speed to spare and can turn quickly which added to being good jumpers should make a good Agility dog.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back