The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Whippet and kennel

Hanawick

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
We are going abroad to visit our family for a week and because we have to fly, our 1,5 year whippet has to stay in kennel. Though this kennel is really very good it is just a kennel and it is a really difficult decision to send our couch potatoe softie there. Does somebody have an experience with this problem or does somebody know about a person/family kennel who would accommodate our boy and he could feel really homely?

Hello.As I think you are probably suspecting whippets do not tend to cope well in kennels. Is there not a friend who would look after your dog instead?

I think it might be worthwhile asking on "the whippet forum" which as it's name suggests is a website run by and for whippet owners. They may be able to offer advice or even recommend someone who could help you out. It would help if you could let people know what part of the country you are in.

I fully understand your predicament - I don't really trust anyone with my dogs(whippets) and so haven't had a holiday in 30 years

I think the main worry is warmth. As you know Whippets don't cope with the cold very well. If you could find a kennel that is well heated then that would help.

Some dogs are very clingy to their owners and need lots of human contact. These are the dogs that do not cope so well when kennelled. Other, more independent, dogs cope much better than owners expect.

You will know your dog best.

Hello.As I think you are probably suspecting whippets do not tend to cope well in kennels. Is there not a friend who would look after your dog instead?

I think it might be worthwhile asking on "the whippet forum" which as it's name suggests is a website run by and for whippet owners. They may be able to offer advice or even recommend someone who could help you out. It would help if you could let people know what part of the country you are in.

I fully understand your predicament - I don't really trust anyone with my dogs(whippets) and so haven't had a holiday in 30 years
Hello,

We really appreciate your kindness to write back to me. I have subscribed myself on "whippet forum" webside and placed the request as well. It is a really nice spot to communicate with people.

We have been living in East Riding of Yorkshire for 3 years and unfortunately we do not know anybody who would be able to help.

Anyway, thank you for your support.

ake care and have a nice Christmas.

Kind regards

Hana and Tony

I think the main worry is warmth. As you know Whippets don't cope with the cold very well. If you could find a kennel that is well heated then that would help.

Some dogs are very clingy to their owners and need lots of human contact. These are the dogs that do not cope so well when kennelled. Other, more independent, dogs cope much better than owners expect.

You will know your dog best.
Hello,

thank you for your kind answer and we really appreciate it. You are right we are mainly concerned about the temperature and about the feeling he is scared because of other barking dogs.

Pascal had a bad experience in the past on the beach. He was a puppy at this time and pack of five big dogs was "playing" with him to actually chase him like hunters do. He was running fast to escape, crying at the same time. All people on the beach stopped and were watching this scene and the owner of the dog was not able to call them back. We did not know what to do, so we led toward him and Pascal finally found the way to us and he literally jumped into my arms.

Since this moment he has always been timid in open space with other dogs, he no longer trusts . He is always very friendly but aware of this experience. He is timid ish and always close to us. This experience will always stay in his head.

So, it is why we would be happier if he can stay with somebody who has a whippet at home.

Take good care and have a nice Christmas time.

Regards,

Hana and Tony

You might like to ask around at pet shops and vet surgeries to see if anyone in your area offers "home boarding" of dogs. This is where the dog stays in the persons home with their dog or other boarding dogs.

Do check that their garden is secure and that there are two doors between the living space or garden and the street. It is not enough that they love dogs they should have some kind of professional experience.

About 4 years ago we had to put our 3 whippets into kennels, just for 1 night thankfully, but felt like we'd betrayed them, waving goodbye to them in their concrete cell, with the barking of other unknown dogs all around them, and the air heavy with other dogs' smells. Also, although it was mid-summer, we were told when we arrived at 5pm that they'd already missed walking time, so wouldn't even get out until morning. At that time the kennel (in Hertfordshire) was charging £15 per night for the first dog, then £10 for each further dog, so it worked out at £35 per night. I don't know whether it was a good or bad, cheap or expensive, kennel, as that's the only time we've used one. Yours may be a lot better, and maybe even cheaper.

Anyway, someone, can't remember who, suggested an agency such as Animal Angels who will send people to stay in your house and look after your pets, for a fee of course, and at that time we paid £50 per day for that service. Seems a bit steep, but not a huge amount more than the kennel option, and so much nicer for the dogs. We used them about 3 years ago, and they did a good job with our 3 whippets, allowing them to sleep in their nice warm beds, go on their usual familiar walks, eat their usual food, and so on, and the dogs all seemed perfectly happy when we returned.

One of the advantages of a good agency is that the sitters will have been CRB checked by the agency, and they'll be covered by agency insurance, so in the absence of someone you know and trust that's a good second best option. As it happens the agency people we had were an ex-policeman and his partner, who seemed like nice people. We all went out with the dogs on the day they arrived, so they could what the local walking options were. I think that most of the people who house/dog sit for the agency are retired people who like dogs but don't have their own, and treat it as an opportunity to have a free or cheap holiday in someone else's house.

I have no connection with Animal Angels or any other such agency, it's just the one we happened to use. From a quick Google search it looks like they're still going, but I'm sure there are other similar agencies which other people might have experience of.

Hope it works out for you and doggy, whichever option you choose.

I wouldn't put mine in kennels. they wouldn't forgive me. I am lucky that my friend is a dog walker/sitter so she can come and stay in my house or the can go and stay at hers and they love her. You may have a similar business/agency near you?

About 4 years ago we had to put our 3 whippets into kennels, just for 1 night thankfully, but felt like we'd betrayed them, waving goodbye to them in their concrete cell, with the barking of other unknown dogs all around them, and the air heavy with other dogs' smells. Also, although it was mid-summer, we were told when we arrived at 5pm that they'd already missed walking time, so wouldn't even get out until morning. At that time the kennel (in Hertfordshire) was charging £15 per night for the first dog, then £10 for each further dog, so it worked out at £35 per night. I don't know whether it was a good or bad, cheap or expensive, kennel, as that's the only time we've used one. Yours may be a lot better, and maybe even cheaper.

Anyway, someone, can't remember who, suggested an agency such as Animal Angels who will send people to stay in your house and look after your pets, for a fee of course, and at that time we paid £50 per day for that service. Seems a bit steep, but not a huge amount more than the kennel option, and so much nicer for the dogs. We used them about 3 years ago, and they did a good job with our 3 whippets, allowing them to sleep in their nice warm beds, go on their usual familiar walks, eat their usual food, and so on, and the dogs all seemed perfectly happy when we returned.

One of the advantages of a good agency is that the sitters will have been CRB checked by the agency, and they'll be covered by agency insurance, so in the absence of someone you know and trust that's a good second best option. As it happens the agency people we had were an ex-policeman and his partner, who seemed like nice people. We all went out with the dogs on the day they arrived, so they could what the local walking options were. I think that most of the people who house/dog sit for the agency are retired people who like dogs but don't have their own, and treat it as an opportunity to have a free or cheap holiday in someone else's house.

I have no connection with Animal Angels or any other such agency, it's just the one we happened to use. From a quick Google search it looks like they're still going, but I'm sure there are other similar agencies which other people might have experience of.

Hope it works out for you and doggy, whichever option you choose.
Hello,

thank you very much for your letter and a wise advice, we have been searching for this agency so we will see. I will even ask a local walker.

Thank you, take care.

Hana and Tony

I wouldn't put mine in kennels. they wouldn't forgive me. I am lucky that my friend is a dog walker/sitter so she can come and stay in my house or the can go and stay at hers and they love her. You may have a similar business/agency near you?
Hello,

thank you for your advice very much. I will try to ask a local dog walker. It would be really ideal because our whippet Pacal lives with his good friend cat Heidi and they would be happy to stay together!

Thank you again.

Kind regards

Hana and Tony

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back