The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Whippet colours

wilcon10

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi
Can 2 fawn whippets produce black and white, fawn and blue puppies in the same litter? Thank you

Not impossible if those other colours were in both sides' parents.

Thank you for answering Hemlock,

I have been told my puppy's parentage (sire) is in question due to the colours of the puppies.

Nothing short of DNA testing would prove it. Did the person telling you have an agenda?

As an example, I bred a silver brindle to a fawn and got brindles, fawns and pieds, then fawn to fawn and got fawns and pieds, then fawn to pied and got fawns and pieds, then fawn to fawn and got fawn, pied and two born black that then went to black-tipped fawns.......one went fawn after a year, the other stayed black-tipped i.e. her hair was fawn at the roots and black at the tips. There was no whisper of doubt about the true parentage - I never risked a bitch being covered by any other than my chosen stud.

Hi
Can 2 fawn whippets produce black and white, fawn and blue puppies in the same litter? Thank you
anything in the gene pool can pop up at any time. my dad had a red dobermann that looked like a pointer.. probably because The Weimaraner had pointer in the make up..

Nothing short of DNA testing would prove it. Did the person telling you have an agenda?

As an example, I bred a silver brindle to a fawn and got brindles, fawns and pieds, then fawn to fawn and got fawns and pieds, then fawn to pied and got fawns and pieds, then fawn to fawn and got fawn, pied and two born black that then went to black-tipped fawns.......one went fawn after a year, the other stayed black-tipped i.e. her hair was fawn at the roots and black at the tips. There was no whisper of doubt about the true parentage - I never risked a bitch being covered by any other than my chosen stud.
It's actually The Kennel Club who have been in touch this week, apparently there's been an investigation because the breeder registered black and white puppies in the litter, they are now 6 months old, born to 2 fawns and they say this is not possible. My puppy is fawn with a black mask. I'm waiting for a reply from The Kennel Club. I wonder why,6 months on, there's now an investigation?
I rang the breeder who is in no doubt about the sire.

Interesting - how infuriating for the breeder. Worth DNA testing in that case, and hope the breeder gets an apology.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back