The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Whippet In Heat, Need Advice

lukkylady

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
i have a 2 yr old whippet who had her first heat last november, and didnt have her second one until 3 weeks ago, was planning on spaying her at xmas. but will leave that until after xmas now, just make sure everything has settled down again.

my question is:

How long do female whippets bleed for during a heat?

shes been bleeding for 3 weeks now, and no sign of it easing off, I have a neutered male, and shes trying to get him interested in her, so I think shes moving along in the stages of her heat.

any ideas of when the bleeding will stop? :b

this will be her last heat, as no plans to breed from her.

any advice/info most helpful! :cheers:

3 weeks of bleeding does sound rather a long time, none of mine have actually bled for more than 14 days, although there is a discharge before and after that for a while.

Hopefully there are lots of K9ers who breed their whips and will know exactly what you should expect :thumbsup:

Bleeding usually comes to an end at 10-14 days, which is when they become mateable...I'd pop her to the vets personnally if she's still bleeding heavily after 3 weeks, to check her out for infection etc :thumbsup:

Mmm neither of my girls bled for 3 weeks either :unsure:

I've had them bleed to some extent all through their season. I should wait until halfway between her seasons to get her spayed, a that is when her hormones are nearly normal, they spend about a month being normal!

She will have a go at any willing dog when she is ready to mate, that is normal too.

If you are worried, a visit to the vet would put your mind at rest.

thanks for all the replies :))

have helped alot, shes great in herself, eating well etc

i will keep an eye on her for a few days, and then pop to the vets if needed

as she is trying my male dog, she may be coming out of the bleeding phase!

and will leave getting her spayed until a month or so after xmas, making sure that all her hormones etc have returned to normal

was she ever normal im askin myself :- " (w00t)

Our Diva just finished her season last Saturday *25th* We've only had her just coming up to six weeks now and she came into season two weeks after we got her. We're not sure of her age but have been told she's probably between 3-4 years old.

She only bled for the first week or so, certainly no longer. For the rest of her season she was clear. Three weeks DOES seem a long time - perhaps it's because your bitch is only a youngster and her hormones are still sorting themself out? :b

We are getting her spayed just after New Year.....if she had PMT when we got her and was then 'on' and very moody (she was!) it'll be interesting to see what her 'normal' temperament is like :- " :lol:

I once had a whippet bitch that only came in season once a year but it lasted for 4 to 5 weeks :)

our lacey blleds for 4 weks normaliy for her and is only in sesson every 11 months. infcat when she had a litter she was mated on days 20 and 21 and had 5 lovely pups. if its not smelly and does not have a cloudy look to it and shes progressing though her cycal I wouldnt worry espcily if she did 3 weeks last time aswell. and as your getting her spayed 12 weeks or after from the start or her season is the recomebded time to have them done. dont know if its recomeded for the vet or the dog more at this time but but over 12 weeks is best

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back