The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Whippet Novice

das

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi to everyone!

I have just joined - minutes ago, so this is my first post, so please be gentle!

I am thinking about getting a whippet, it will be my first one of this breed. At the moment I have two Border Terrier bitches, litter sisters. I got them at 9 weeks old and they are now heading for their 9th year - both still like pups - one dumb, the other smart as custard! They are pets and have been very easy to train and live with. They are not "yappie" and bark only when something, person, fox or cat is around. They stop as soon as the "something" has gone.

On searching the web for a few days/nights I found this forum. I was overjoyed that whippet racing clubs existed for non-pedigree's. Before that, I thought a whippet had to be a pedigree to race and show. I can't afford the £400 + that is asked for these.

My question?

1] What is the best cross X, for a whippet pup that would be on or below 20" and one I would want to eventually race?

2] I have read the adverts about "little darlings..." and "make perfect pets..." but on this forum (a dose of truth I suspect), I have read about new door-jambs being required after chewing and noisy dogs. Are they hard to train in the doggy basics, house, walk to heel, unwanted barking etc?

3] When would training to race begin - 12 months?

4] Last but not least -- there is a newspaper article (online), which claims Whippets are the UK's mot expensive dog to keep, mainly vet bills, feeding. True or False?

Apologies for such a long 1st post - my 2nd might be longer !! lol :clown:

Hope you can help - Thanks!

das.

Last edited by a moderator:
Someone else could maybe help you with the racing answers but I can offer my opinion with the others :thumbsup:

Whippets are not any more difficult to train than any other dog ie you get back what you put in ;)

Whippet puppies do have the reputation of being a bit naughty but I have found that very much depends on the individual . No matter how naughty they are as puppies they all turn out really nice in the end :teehee:

I have had them for around 20 years and I would say compared to other breeds they are a lot less expensive to keep than most breeds . My own vet has whippets and one of the reasons he got whippets was because they have a lot less health problems than most breeds .

They are not fussy regarding food and will eat anything ( including things you don't want them to eat ! )

There is only one real problem I would say , they are addictive and one is never enough ;)

Welcome to the forum and good luck in your search :luck:

Hiya and welcome to K9.

You will probably find that you get a lot of different answers to your questions as the whippet folk all have their own individual opinions on how to look after/train their dogs.

In my opinion:

1. Racing whippets are raced according to weight rather than height but if ur wanting a racing whippet around 20" i would say u possibly want a whippet under 30lb as i have a 30lber and hes 19" to the shoulder. you'll be wanting middle weight whippet x whippet rather than a greyhound x whippet.

2. Training a whippet it much the same as any other breed of dog, altho if they are being trained for racing you are training them to chase, therefore cats, rabbits etc could always be a temptation.

3. The age of which to train whippets depends on the dog itself, larger dogs tend to take longer to train and are usually started later on but me myself begin to train (little short slips after the rag about 20yards) at about 6 months onwards but the owner tends to know when their dog is ready.

We also rag (play) our dogs and get them keen from being small puppies with bits of cloth or plastic.

4. To this question i'd say dont believe all you read, i had a pet rat that cost me more than my whippet has.

Good Luck and Welcome to the World of Whippet

Kim

Someone else could maybe help you with the racing answers but I can offer my opinion with the others :thumbsup: Whippets are not any more difficult to train than any other dog ie you get back what you put in ;)

Whippet puppies do have the reputation of being a bit naughty but I have found that very much depends on the individual . No matter how naughty they are as puppies they all turn out really nice in the end :teehee:

I have had them for around 20 years and I would say compared to other breeds they are a lot less expensive to keep than most breeds . My own vet has whippets and one of the reasons he got whippets was because they have a lot less health problems than most breeds .

They are not fussy regarding food and will eat anything ( including things you don't want them to eat ! )

There is only one real problem I would say , they are addictive and one is never enough ;)

Welcome to the forum and good luck in your search :luck:

Thanks Hula - much appreciated.

A past neighbour, an old boy in his seventies had one a few years ago, a dainty little lady - he would be up at 3-4am and take her lamping or hunting - he had done it all his life . In all the time I lived there, I never saw a collar, let alone a lead on her, she would just trot by his side. A good old fella - RIP.

Thanks again!

Welcome to k9!

I have to say I agree with Kim. Whippets personality wise are like people...they are all different :) You don't say whereabouts you are, if you could give us a rough idea then we could point you in the direction of your nearest racing club, they really are the best thing to show you what non ped whippets are all about and would give you an opportunity to chat and ask your questions.

Good luck :luck:

Hiya and welcome to K9.
You will probably find that you get a lot of different answers to your questions as the whippet folk all have their own individual opinions on how to look after/train their dogs.

In my opinion:

1. Racing whippets are raced according to weight rather than height but if ur wanting a racing whippet around 20" i would say u possibly want a whippet under 30lb as i have a 30lber and hes 19" to the shoulder. you'll be wanting middle weight whippet x whippet rather than a greyhound x whippet.

2. Training a whippet it much the same as any other breed of dog, altho if they are being trained for racing you are training them to chase, therefore cats, rabbits etc could always be a temptation.

3. The age of which to train whippets depends on the dog itself, larger dogs tend to take longer to train and are usually started later on but me myself begin to train (little short slips after the rag about 20yards) at about 6 months onwards but the owner tends to know when their dog is ready.

We also rag (play) our dogs and get them keen from being small puppies with bits of cloth or plastic.

4. To this question i'd say dont believe all you read, i had a pet rat that cost me more than my whippet has.

Good Luck and Welcome to the World of Whippet

Kim

Thanks Kim/Badger, much appreciated for picking your brain!

I wouldn't want a "tall" dog around the size of a greyhound - too big around the house, hence the 20" idea. So whippet X whippet seems to make sense.

There is a cat that comes into the back garden, but she has evaded the Border's, so far and would probably change her route if a whippet gave her a close call! (w00t)

I suppose I'm looking for a whippet (not immediately) because I could do more with it than just have a family pet (although that's what it would be also) - the Border's fill that role. I like the idea of racing one as a hobby interest - Thanks again Badger!!

Laughed at the bit about the rat! lol!

Welcome to k9!I have to say I agree with Kim. Whippets personality wise are like people...they are all different :) You don't say whereabouts you are, if you could give us a rough idea then we could point you in the direction of your nearest racing club, they really are the best thing to show you what non ped whippets are all about and would give you an opportunity to chat and ask your questions.

Thanks marielou - I'm in Preston, Lancashire - I have seen two clubs so far, one a pedigree only club and one a non-pedigree/pedigree club. Both are not too far in a car for me.

Thanks for your reply!

Welcome to k9!I have to say I agree with Kim. Whippets personality wise are like people...they are all different :) You don't say whereabouts you are, if you could give us a rough idea then we could point you in the direction of your nearest racing club, they really are the best thing to show you what non ped whippets are all about and would give you an opportunity to chat and ask your questions.

Thanks marielou - I'm in Preston, Lancashire - I have seen two clubs so far, one a pedigree only club and one a non-pedigree/pedigree club. Both are not too far in a car for me.

Thanks for your reply!

ppps: Sorry to use this in reply - still finding my way around - but someone "pm'd" me saying a whippet X bedlington could be considered. THANKS for that, but it popped up - I read it - then clicked off without a reply or getting the name - Apologies to that person! :unsure:

Yes i agree with what kim has said (Good answers sis, not often i agree with you eh lol).

I also agree with the part Hula said ONE IS NEVER ENOUGH lol

welcome to k9 and the whippie world (w00t)

welcome to k9 i also agree with the both badger and sadie and definitly the best advice is wot marielou has said go to a local club if u can, best way to find out everything u need to know. i said 15 years ago id only have one then went to il only have 2 ive now got 5 and planning on mating one when she comes into season and havent decided if il keep 1 or two lol

Thanks for your reply!

Hi Das

first welcome to k9 you will get most of your questions answered on this site--- mostly in a positive way ---

always nice to see new members ---

I see your just down the M6 From us -----we race at Lancaster and if you ever would like to visit us please do so

I can say that you will be made most welcome thats for sure -- if you require any information please ask --

We are at the moment running twice weekly--Tuesday/Thursday from around 6 oclock on the Far Moor playing fields

Post code for sat nav is LA1 3JW- hope to see you very soon -- pedigree whippets are welcome to run with us as are

most dogs that run hounds/terriers etc.

good luck --Steve

Thanks for your reply!

Hi Das

first welcome to k9 you will get most of your questions answered on this site--- mostly in a positive way ---

always nice to see new members ---

I see your just down the M6 From us -----we race at Lancaster and if you ever would like to visit us please do so

I can say that you will be made most welcome thats for sure -- if you require any information please ask --

We are at the moment running twice weekly--Tuesday/Thursday from around 6 oclock on the Far Moor playing fields

Post code for sat nav is LA1 3JW- hope to see you very soon -- pedigree whippets are welcome to run with us as are

most dogs that run hounds/terriers etc.

good luck --Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the offer and the info. This is a really welcoming forum.

I used to go to Lancaster to St. Martin's College - off the M6 - through some little village - straight on down the road - turn right and I was there. I remember a nice restaurant, a nice pub and a castle lit up at night!

I might know Far Moor playing fields, without realising it, anyway - the postcode should sort it --thanks again!!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back