The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Whippet Poodle- Anyone Have Experience Of This Cross?

Keeley

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I've just had my saluki whippet mated with a poodle and would like to hear about anyone who owns or has known these crosses. I've selected for temperament, agility and intelligence and am hoping they will make great agility and assistance dogs (as well as being able to work as a lurcher). Would love a few quotes from people on how great this cross is (so far I've heard only enormous praise and love) or to be prepared for any possible down sides.

Hi Keeley you're better off trying the other discussion areas of the forum, this section only tends to be looked at by people who race and breed "Non-pedigree Racing Whippets".

Good Luck with your mating, I hope your breeding works out :luck:

Not a cross I've ever heard of really and I've have thought the outcome would be very unpredictable in terms of whether they take after the dam or the sire or anything in between.

Genuine question, but what did you hope to gain from this cross? Poodles are already excellent agility dogs and very intelligent and trainable, I doubt adding a lurcher to the mix would improve on that, and I can't imagine this cross would have the same working abilities as a whippet/saluki.

Was it a standard poodle (just curious) :))

It was miniature poodle, a little smaller than my bitch (I didn't want a difficult birth if the pups were too large). I had a few objectives: some might have low- shedding fur for allergy sufferers, I've heard of this mix making excellent assistance dogs for the deaf, I want them to be family pets rather than bought for coursing and I wanted to help promote the lurcher as the wonderful family member they can be, by association with a more well-known 'pet only' breed. I also have visions of them making excellent ratters and even truffle hunters, but that's an afterthought! The poodle sire matches Nell in intelligence, but also by his grace and delicacy hiding a real tough, fit cookie, always up for action but so calm around the house.

It was miniature poodle, a little smaller than my bitch (I didn't want a difficult birth if the pups were too large). I had a few objectives: some might have low- shedding fur for allergy sufferers, I've heard of this mix making excellent assistance dogs for the deaf, I want them to be family pets rather than bought for coursing and I wanted to help promote the lurcher as the wonderful family member they can be, by association with a more well-known 'pet only' breed. I also have visions of them making excellent ratters and even truffle hunters, but that's an afterthought! The poodle sire matches Nell in intelligence, but also by his grace and delicacy hiding a real tough, fit cookie, always up for action but so calm around the house.
Based on statistics I've seen, your odds of producing a non-shedding coat are less than 30%. The odds of producing coats worse than a poodles to maintain are better. At least some of the pups are likely to be wire coated, high shedders.

You simply cannot predict with any certainty what characteristics of which breed will end up in each pup. On the trainability side of things you could end up with anything.

F1 crosses are a lottery.

Last edited by a moderator:
we have a non ped whippet and bred her with a standard poodle ,she's fawn and white and the poodle apricot , but she had 5 black puppies ,, no probs with the size of pups at all.

the one we kept , blake 15 mths , is making a fine hunting dog , we're just starting him on coursing this year, not be fast enough for the whippet / greyhounds on straight racing

hope things go well for you

by the way they cast

kind regards

Thank you! I did wonder about the possibility of black pups as that gene is dominant in poodles. That's really useful. Do you have any pics of Blake?

I've just had my saluki whippet mated with a poodle and would like to hear about anyone who owns or has known these crosses. I've selected for temperament, agility and intelligence and am hoping they will make great agility and assistance dogs (as well as being able to work as a lurcher). Would love a few quotes from people on how great this cross is (so far I've heard only enormous praise and love) or to be prepared for any possible down sides.

Hi Keeley,

We have a rescue pooch which we thought was some kind of terrier, but we had her genetics done and according to them she is mostly poodle and whippet. Knowing that, you can see it in her- she has a soft curly coat with a woolly undercoat. Just sheds a little of the wool. She does mat if not kept clipped or well brushed. She has long legs and a whippet chest. Lovely little girl. Mostly shades of gray with white.

Sweet disposition dog, loves to fetch and run. She can outrun any dog her size (she's miniature poodle size, about 15 pounds) and has more endurance than any dog on the field. She would literally rather chase a tennis ball than eat. In fact she's very much uninterested in food. She will sometimes leave her dinner for hours before finishing it. She's had a little trouble with housebreaking. She's a little harder to train because she's so uninterested in food.

Please let me know more about the pups and how they turn out. My ex-wife has Lily the "whoodle", or is she a "pippet"? and I'd love to have another like her- I need one that doesn't shed, though, because of allergies. Perhaps you'd consider selling one if they turn out well?

regards,

Bern

Hi. Not sure what all the fuss is about. You have as much right as anyone else to breed crosses, and I can see why you chose whippet and poodle- they sound just like the sort of dog I am looking for. Do you have a litter yet? If so, will you be selling any pups?

Hi Keely, I have only Ever seen 1 Poodle X lurcher (Whippet X Ghd) It was just a tad on the heavy side But was Still a good lil worker,plus the poodle in Question was a Working Standard poodle instead of the miniture poodle you used so there will no doubt be differences between that dog n your pups. If you have kept to solid working Stock with Strong working Temprements when you should come up Trumps :thumbsup: All the Very best of luck with that pups n cant wait to see some pics :)

From the hunting side of it, There was some standard poodle x greyhound advertised a while ago, by a very well know working lurcher breeder, caused a bit of a stir in some hunting forums im a member of, (you do get a lot of synical sods on them though).

Obviously they will be smaller but as your only by law allowed to hunt rat and rabbits now with dogs you really dont need, by law, anything bigger.

I dont know poodles or how the minature relate to the standard, but there a good shape, could add a good coat, just depends what else it can add or take away, but i think theres potential.

Have a look on the hunting life forum and do a search on there there was a lot of disscusions about this a while ago.

how did your cross work out? would love a non-shedding whippet cross.

aloha from Hawaii

We have a whippet poodle cross bread specifically for agility by the breader. She is excellent, extremely intelligent and fast, she is low moulting and black (all the puppies were black). Everyone who meets her comments on how pretty she is and how soft her fur is she is extemely friendly and loves nothing more than a big cuddle.

We have a whippet poodle cross bread specifically for agility by the breader. She is excellent, extremely intelligent and fast, she is low moulting and black (all the puppies were black). Everyone who meets her comments on how pretty she is and how soft her fur is she is extemely friendly and loves nothing more than a big cuddle.
You have gained nothing in producing this cross, you would have been far better mating the Suluki Whippet with a working Bedlington, or to a Greyhound, there again it all would depend if the Suluki X Whippet can work,

it appears to me you have just produced a litter of mongrels, sorry to be blunt, I cant imagine any of the working lads,

wanting this cross.

You have gained nothing in producing this cross, you would have been far better mating the Suluki Whippet with a working Bedlington, or to a Greyhound, there again it all would depend if the Suluki X Whippet can work,

it appears to me you have just produced a litter of mongrels, sorry to be blunt, I cant imagine any of the working lads,

wanting this cross.
I would only breed off a bitch that was a top class worker, and if your Dog came into this category, why did you not consider putting her to a working whippet, there are some good ones standing at stud, that would have given you Whippet X Suluki X Whippet which would appeal to the working community I am only answering the part of your post that says quote, as well as being able to work as a lurcher.

interesting to see how these turn out I would be wary of using a miniature poodle are they tough enough? but it all depends on the individual. In theory a standard poodle is not a bad ingredient in a lurcher it would want to go to a saluki greyhound rather than a pure grey as the saluki would lghten the bone of the offspring. I wouldn't say it would be the finished article but as an ingredient there are worse.

interesting to see how these turn out I would be wary of using a miniature poodle are they tough enough? but it all depends on the individual. In theory a standard poodle is not a bad ingredient in a lurcher it would want to go to a saluki greyhound rather than a pure grey as the saluki would lghten the bone of the offspring. I wouldn't say it would be the finished article but as an ingredient there are worse.
Hi.

I have a 2yr old poodlex whippet. What an amazing dog.poodle father whippet mother. no hair loss,clever, very quick lots of stamina. Comical animal full of fun always wants to play. Anything else you would like to know just mail me.

I have a 2yr old poodle x whippet she is magic

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back