The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Whippet puppy has the runs, should I get in touch with vet?

BeaWhippet

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi guys, new here!!

My beautiful 16 week old whippet, Olive, has had the runs for a good four days now. She has been her usual self , playing, happy on her walks, gobbling anything I've given her, finding comfortable objects to laze on etc :) ..

BUT, she's been waking me up in the middle of the night, sometimes just an hour apart crying, since we've got her she's been a great night time sleeper, so I knew the only reason she would be crying was needing the toilet - when I let her out she runs straight to the end of the garden and literally has explosive runny poo, she hasn't went in her crate or in the house yet, but it seems urgent .

The first night I thought it might pass, the second I did a little searching and decided to stop feeding her normal kibble, I instead gave her rice and chicken, she was very hungry the whole day, the diarrhea seemed to ease up the second day, no waking in night. This morning on her walk she did a healthier looking poo. However...

I thought she might've just had an upset tummy and all was better, maybe thought to soon, started her back on a small amount of kibble with chicken, and she's back with runny poo. The only reason I'm not putting it down to her food is because shes been on it since I got her and she's not had this issue before ( james well beloved puppy).

Poo doesn't appear to have blood in it, it's light brown in colour, I'm not sure how to tell if it's got mucus in it though (sorry little bit gross).

I obviously will go to the vets if it persists but should I already be in touch with them? terrified that she's picked up a bug( although she's had all her injections and fully wormed) or she's eaten something without my knowing which is even scarier :s

Anyone been in the same boat? I know some whippets are food sensitive but she's been doing really well on the food so far, seems bizarre with such a sudden change?

image.jpg

It does seem suspicious that as soon as you re introduce the food she gets the runs again doesn't it. I would keep her on chicken and rice for a bit longer and, perhaps, give her some natural yoghurt to help her tummy get back to normal. If, after that, she still gets runny poo on James Wellbeloved then you might need to try something else. Keep plenty of chicken and rice handy while you experiment.

I don't think a vet visit is necessary if she is well in herself and you can stop the problem with chicken and rice.

I was waiting for Gipsysmum to post as her advice is always spot on. And I didnt want to suggest diet stuff until Gipsysmum had advised on the vet for fear of muddying the waters. But I looked online at the ingredients in your puppy food (nutrition is my interest) and there is nothing obvious that rings alarm bells. If you are changing, try to keep wheat free, wainwrights are also good. I take it she isn't getting milk? She shouldn't. Chicken, rice and live natural yoghurt (low fat if possible) are all good. Keep us posted.

If you are thinking of changing dog food, take al look at a website called All About Dog Food.

I have Kaolin & Morphine which I give my dogs if they have a runny tummy, its usually because they have been chewing on something they should not be! You can get it from the vets but I get mine from a friend in Scotland as they still sell it over the counter in the chemists and its cheaper.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back