The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Whippet struggling to do the toilet

Cash_Dolly

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
So my little Dolly has been really having to push to go the toilet the last few days and I wondered what is the best thing to give her to help...

In the past if I have ever had this problem a small amount of olive oil in the dinner has done the trick but not with Dolly! Is there anything else? As most of you know I feed mainly raw with a small amount of kibble but I am trying to faze the kibble out so she is on mainly raw and am unsure if this may be causing it (not enough fibre?)

So if anyone can recommend a regular food to help with this that would also be appreciated!

Thanks

Probably not enough tbh. She only tends to eat minced meat or if I cut it up very finely (unlike my other who will wolf anything down)

I give them chicken wings etc on the bone and she chews a bit then eventually just leaves it. I don't know how else to give her it?

As you must be quiet aware raw feeding does produce very hard poos', (good for the anal glands helps them to function properly)

I am a raw feeder myself and have one girl who hates doing the white chalky poos, she will not always get out of the car willingly if she knows she has to do one of these! The poo will always come when it's ready and I do not worry about it.

If you want to make the poo slightly easier to move I use lightly steamed vegetables/greens mixed in with the meat feed. At this time of year I am foraging for "Goose grass" and young "nettle tops" to add to the girls feeds, again gently steamed and chopped.

Have you thought of offering her "green tripe", I know it smells awfull but it is very nutritious and some has a residue of herbage still on it (so very good and natural)

I do feed green tripe fairly regularly as it is a favourite of theirs (not of mine!)

I will try some greens too and see if that helps. My other has no problems at all with his poop! But little Dolly seems to struggle and it takes her a while (though she still goes its not as if there is nothing to come out...)

oh and another question, excuseme I am sure you can answer this for me. I have been reading a lot about egg shells, I have never fed them but I know of many RAW feeders who give a whole egg, shell and all...is this recommended?

I bet I cannot answer this one! I have never fed them either with shell on !

Some people like to grind them up and others just crack them open and add to the food.

If your dog is getting a sensible amount of bone/calcium in it's diet I don't think there would be an need to add the shell as well.

A whole egg occasionally with shell on can't do any harm though.

excuseme I have been waiting by my computer constantly checking this page in eager anticipation of your reply!!! I do give them egg in with their food but never with the shell I just know many do and swear by the goodness in it.....I'm sure bone chewing teeth can't be damaged by egg shells? I know Cash will have no problems but little miss fussy priincess Dolly may have issues with eating shells! I'll let you know how I get on!

I give whole eggs ..well rather she steals them from the chucks !!!!

My young girl will just eat the whole egg but my old boy likes his smushed up with the pieces of shell broken and mixed into other food. Ive even just popped a couple of eggs into the blender then poured the mixture over food

We have a hen that lays a soft shelled egg, If I can get to it quickly enough before the hens eat it themselves I just put the whole thing on top of one of the dogs dinners and it's gone!

We used to keep chickens and one particular whippet used to steal the eggs any chance he got! For a while i thought that crows or magpies had taken them until i caught him red handed. He must have eaten them shell and all but i know people who grind them up. He also used to dig up the potatoes in the garden and eat them too.

I have heard veg that grow above ground help loosen the bowel movement, veg grown below ground (roots) firm it up. If Timber is slightly constipated I give three or four cooked green beans and a small amount of milk (half a mug). Also cooked, pureed pumpkin balances things regardless of whether the stool is hard or soft - clever pumpkin! I suppose squash would be similar, I've seen it frozen in Tesco.

Hmm, never heard of that one before JoanneF, I will have to do some work on that one. Are you talking about below ground veg that are cooked or raw?

Not very easy though when our poo's are very firm already! Un cooked below ground root veg tend to go through un digested and come out looking similar but chomped up

I assumed cooked but haven't got anything like your knowledge excuseme. Nutrition is my interest so I am always keen to learn. I thought root veg should be cooked - I use sweet potato a lot.

Well I can confirm that on our late afternoon walk dolly dimple managed a struggle free poo I think maybe the liver she had this morning done the trick!!! Also put some egg shell in with their dinner and though they didn't exactly wolf it down the did crunch it. I'm hoping it will be good for Dolly who doesn't eat too much bone as she is such a delicate little eater xx

Always a relief! What are we dog owners like over poo!

JoanneF, I meant the above and below ground thing! :)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back