The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Whippets In Obedience

turb065

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi everyone

I was wondering (especially in australia) if anyone knows how many if any whippets have reached the title of cdx.

For those overseas cdx is the title of when you pass 3 open obedience trials. In an open trial your dog must

1. Heal at a high standard to a judges instruction

2. stand for examination (where a judge goes over your dog with the handler at a distance of 3m with out the dog moving any more than 2 feet)

3. Retrieve a dumbell on the flat and over a solid hurdle

4. Drop on command in a recall situation

5. Jump on comand over a broad jump and return to the handler in a recall position

or

6. Change positions on command from a stand to drop to recall on command

and

stay in a sit position for 3mins and a drop position for 5mins both out of site of the handler

Thanks for your inputs

ps has anyone taught there whippets to retrieve a stationary item coz i could really use some tips :)

That sounds like a lot of dedication to acheive that level. Good luck :luck:

Our first whippet got his USA CDX title in the early 1960s. It was quite similar to the examination you describe. I remember my older brother constructing the broadjump to practice on. the dog had to get qualifying marks at 3 trials. Jumping was easy to teach; all my whippets love jumping. We had already taught heel on and off lead,recall and stays for the CD (companion dog title) but had to do handler out of sight stays for the CDX. Retrieving was difficult to teach this dog and we did it by rote, teaching him to take and hold the dumbell on command and to give it to command, then progressing to throwing the dumbell for the dog to fetch at a distance. He never enjoyed that exercise, but did as asked. Way back then, I think only one whippet had a Utility dog title. That test includes scent discrimination. At least a few whippets have got it since.

It appears to me that the UK obedience trials are less attractive to people with whippets because there is more of a competitive element, rather than an emphasis on gaining a qualification open to any dog and handler who performs adequately. Our whippets are not going to cling to us on the heel the way collies do, for instance.

I have competed at obedience in Uk and would love the whippets in this country to be able to have a chance at competing in this style of obedience. Instead we have to compete as Macha says, with collies and GSD's and it is very hard to beat them.

Whippets are extremely intelligent and can be trained to a very high standard with the correct motivation. I wish you all the best in gaining your title, It can be done

I do not know any so acomplished but am very proud of 2 dogs that I bred, they are doing pretty well; Banjo (TWA link) just got JD AD and is winning competitions ahead of many more usual breeds, and Spice (TWA link) has a CD title and working on her agility title. Thanks to their dedicated owner/trainer Sarah :thumbsup:

There does seem to be a few whippets in agility, there are 3 currentlyin class at my club. i guess what scares most of the people off from obedience is the retrieval paart as its not so natural for whippets, but slowly slowly, ill let you know how things go :)

There does seem to be a few whippets in agility, there are 3 currentlyin class at my club. i guess what scares most of the people off from obedience is the retrieval paart as its not so natural for whippets, but slowly slowly, ill let you know how things go :)
Howie is also training in agility.

There is a Victorian Whippet trainer who has put UDs on both her girls. Sadly I don't know her name.

I would back chain the retrieve starting with a "give" and rewarding for all offering of the article to you.

My Howie is a natural retriever - including from water!!

Howie's off:

Howiejumpingindam.jpg

And a big entry:

SplashHowie.jpg

Now where's that Wubba?

TheresHowie.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back