The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Who Would Put This On A Dog?

snapdogs

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Use this collar to control stubborn dogs. Collar is fitted on dog and cinches when pulled on. Features 3.0 mm spikes. Sized from end of buckle to the end of collar. 23" wide.

View attachment 24376

found on an American website selling leads and collars :rant:

BARBARIC :rant: :rant: :rant:

Julie

:- " maybe it's for the 'humans' who like to be dominated :blink:

snapdogs said:
Use this collar to control stubborn dogs. Collar is fitted on dog and cinches when pulled on. Features 3.0 mm spikes. Sized from end of buckle to the end of collar. 23" wide.

View attachment 24376

found on an American website selling leads and collars :rant:

I'd like to put it on the person who made it, then tie them to the back of my car & go for a rather leisurely 100mph spin (w00t)

Similar used to be available in Europe 50 years ago, but they were put on the dogs with the spikes away from the neck and were sort of rounded. It was used by people who wanted to say; my dog is tough. I certaily hope nobody uses that with the spikes sticking into the dogs neck. Don't they have there something like RSPCA in the USA?

They do have the spca in the states. But these contraptions as well as collars which give an electric charge are seen as training aids. I personaly think they are barbaric and cruel...but having spent time in the states I have seen people use them. Luckily I have managed to change that by speaking to the owners and helping them train their dogs with positive reinforcement. But there are still so many people out there who think these barbaric tools are alright to use.

I wince every time I see 'shock' collars mentioned (very popular on some hunting sites-almost as an answer to every problem :rant: ), my fear is that in the wrong hands :( which they are bound to reach...well we dont need to expand further do we!

Although I do know a lady who was at her wits end after her placid dog had developed a very unhealthy interest in sheep, with trepidation she contacted a dog trainer who explained all about the shock collar and used it to swift effect, job done, back to a normal life for her and the dog.

whoever invented that thing could do with wearing it themselves :rant: :rant:

in the states they still declaw cats and debark dogs routinely dont they?(they did when i used to live there) :(

:rant: :rant: How dreadful is that.......... :rant: :rant:

Since I've been here I have seen a lot different methods of animal care. Granted that most of them I would never do...in the town im living in they have banned people from being able to keep pit bulls...and its up for discussion in other countys surrounding this. It makes me mad because of they looked at the owners of the dogs who had bit people they would probably find that the dogs have not recieved any training. The methods of care in the usa need to be carefully looked at and changed.

It is absolutely unbeleivable that someone would contemplate putting that on a dog isn't it? :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant:

On a US list that I'm on there was a discussion about their use. Several US folks use them with their whippets when they are OFC (coursing). It stops the dogs from pulling them all day as they 'walk up'.

Edited to add that I wouldn't use one myself. I also wouldn't use an e collar. I prefer to use positive methods.

Last edited by a moderator:
yes these collars are used- ive seen a few here! obviously not approved though- as in usa.

as dog pulls slightly- the spike bend inwards and pinch skin severely- we put them around our wrists to 'feel' the 'technique' it DID hurt!

I know they look awful but I don't think these collars are used to torture the dog or for their macho qualites.

I've got an american book called "The Well Adjusted Dog" by Dr Daniel Kamen who is an animal chiropractor and he mentions these collars, called prong collars, in a chapter about preventing subluxation of the vertebrae in the neck. He talks about using flat collars, choke collars, prong collars and harnesses to walk dogs in. This is what he says about them....

"The third type is the prong collar. This device, with its circular ring of spikes on the inner surface of the collar, looks menacing, but most of the literature suggests that this is the most effective and least dangerous of restraining collars. The prong collar distributes the pressure evenly around the neck, and requires only a small amount of force. It also has the advantage of being self-limiting, unlike the choke collar. Some trainers liken the prong collar to "power steering" where even the slightest touch will produce the desired result. Incidence of canine upper cervical subluxations is far less with the prong collar. Nevertheless, prong collars are beset by controversy and are banned in AKC competitions."

So maybe not as bad as you think. I still wouldn't use one myself though as I can't quite get past the way they look (w00t)

Alot of GSD trainers in the UK use them for police and Schutzhund work, i am training one of mine up for this and would never use it but they swear by them, i prefer my dog to respond because he wants to work for me.

littleminx said:
i prefer my dog to respond because he wants to work for me.
The collar is probably used when a quick result is wanted to be achieved with little interaction with the dog. Still think its looks cruel and unnessecery :(

It is a proven fact that you cannot fully train a dog using positive reinforcement alone, there has to be a reason that a dog chooses to do the correct behaviour and get rewarded, a consequence of negative behaviour. I am not talking about violence or huge correction as dogs feed off their handlers body language as well as any small corrections on the collar and the use of violence towards a dog is utterly wrong. The pinch collar can be a valuable training tool for the dog handler who can use it responsibly and correctly, but can be dangerous in the wrong hands, for obvious reasons. This rings true for the e-collar too, it can be a priceless tool when used humainely and carefully, but it has gotten a name as a barbaric tool because of the thoughtless way in which people use them to gain 'control' of their dogs.

I am completely for the use of both these training aids when they are in the hands of people who can use them correctly and understand the theory behind their use in corrolation with positive reinforcements, but there are so many people who buy them to put on their pet dog to get a control for a 're-call' in the park which obviously the dog will do while the collars are on, but dogs arent stupid, they know when the collars are on and when they arent on, and once the handler has 'cured' the dog of the recall problems through the collars, they then wonder why the dog continues to run off when the collar isnt on! these are the people which use these tools in a dangerous way! I have seen some completely barbaric use of e-collars and pinch collars over the years, in the hands of some completely barbaric people, but I have also been privilaged enough to witness them being used in the way they were originally designed for, and because of this my attitude has completely changed towards them and I can value them as the training aids that they are.

Strange how every time e-collars are criticised on any forum a brand-new members pops up and defends them :wacko:

I wouldn't use either a prong collar or an e-collar on any dog in any circumstances. Dogs can be trained by positive reinforcement alone, it's rubbish to say they can't. Guide Dogs, Assistance Dogs and many other skilled working dogs are trained without either of these 'aids'.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back