The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

why are people so heartless?

Sadly this is not a one off ....and in a country where we are supposed to be animal lovers :(:(:(:(:(:mad::mad::mad::confused::mad::mad:
Run free over the bridge poor baby pain free......

I honestly don't understand how people can be so cruel. It really baffles me.

I'm not even reading the article because I find these things so upsetting - I also don't understand how people can let such suffering go on:(

It is awful and cruel and heartless but its not the first case Ive read this week. A puppy breeder left a dog with an injury so bad the bone on the dogs leg was exposed, she treated the dog by giving it calpol meant for babies. She got a 10 year ban. The courts still view a pet as goods and chattel and therefore only of material value which doesnt help in these cases.

I think greed is at the root of many of these cases, the greed of the breeders to make quick £££ and the buyers who want a particular dog and they want it NOW, a mindset that allows unscrupulous breeder to thrive so one greed feeds another.

The other greed is vets, Im sorry but yes vets. I know they have overheads but seriously some charge the earth for people to walk through the door and in times when money is tight thats enough to make people turn to the internet and other places in the hope of a cheap home cure. In doing so vet treatment is delayed and delayed until shame and fear stops the person seeking advice until its too late. Much of the cruelty isnt intentional its neglect bought on through shame and economics.

My now vet does not charge consult costs for a return vist about the same problem within a month or so and offers a payment plan for any costs over €100. It make approaching them much easier for those on limited incomes.

I know my brother had to pay £50 consult fee at the front desk before he even saw a vet. Many vets are now basing charges on what they know they can get from insurence companies so if you dont have insurence you are stuffed.
Places like the BLue Cross , PDSA and RSPCA are cutting back on treatment so soon pets will be the reserve of the rich.

There’s a man that works at our offices and he brings his puppy with him, a sprocker. When I was chatting to him the other day (I mentioned how small he was) the man told me the breeder weaned him at 3 weeks!!!!! And he had him at 5 weeks!!!! Crazy. I told him that was illegal and asked him why he was weaned so early and he just shrugged.

The breeder obviously just wants money and preys on people who obviously don’t have a clue about breeding. I would have reported the breeder straight away

I don't think it's illegal. It is written into the licenses (of licensed breeders) that pups should stay with mum until 8 weeks but local authorities are stretched and don't have the resources to monitor this, and of course the breeder might not have been licensed. Weaning is commonly started at 3 weeks although it shouldn't of course be completed until the pups are about 7 weeks :(

That's just sickening, the poor girl she must have been in constant agony :(
....what a joke that it says it's the 'worst case of neglect in the uk' but she's only had a 5 year ban! I've seen ones on TV that have had 10 years for similar offences!
Plus there were other animals siezed who I bet weren't in the greatest health as well!!! Should have had a life ban! :mad:

Not looked at the link as I do not wish to distress myself any more than I need to. But I have long thought that whenever someone is found guilty of allowing an animal to suffer then it should always be a life ban from owning any animal. After all having pets is, (or should be), a privilege not a right. And if someone proves themselves to be incapable of looking after one then they loose the privilege.

I agree with the calls for a lifetime ban - unless there's some extenuating circumstances, like undiagnosed/unmanaged mental illness, it's not as if they're going to suddenly turn into a nice person five years down the line.

I too found this unbearable to read. Just seeing the initial photo was enough. The fine was laughable and just banned for keeping pets for five years?
The other one that has stayed in my mind is the dog which was dumped in the road with his bed and he ran after his owner. Never heard if he was caught.
What is wrong with people when they treat dogs like this. They are so loving and ask for so little in return.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back