Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Why Do Some Dogs Hate Showing

Status
Not open for further replies.

janfiers

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
(w00t) Why is it that some dogs absolutely hate showing?

Angel certainly does for one so I have decided not to waste my money anymore.

She was ok whilst a puppy and did quite well, but since she had her first season, she took a dislike to it and it's been like that ever since. She throws her front and hind legs all over the place and of course at home she moves like a trooper.

If anyone knows anyone who would like to have an older bitch then if they contact me by either pm'ing me or contacting me on my mobile 07952 573369, they can have a lovely bitch who will give them lots of love and affection.

Lots of luck with finding a really deserving home for this lovely girl, where she could be a much loved pet first & foremost & show dog secondly (if had to be) as showing is such a short part of their lives. :huggles: :luck: :luck: :luck:

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan, I'm probably asking the obvious - but have you tried giving her to someone else to handle. Perhaps a savvy young junior handler? Sometimes it seems that no matter what we do the dog just won't work for its owner but is putty in someone else's hands.

My dogs are usually the other way 'round - work beautifully for me but won't do a thing for anyone else. :lol:

janfiers said:
Guess its a bit like saying "Why do some people hate football or golf etc", we are all different & so too are our dogs who all have their different personalities & likes & dislikes. :blink:

Showing is "our" hobby & we inflict it on our dogs who have no say in the matter, obviously some enjoy it & some dont. :(

For me showing is secondary. Living with them day to day, watching them grow, run & play & all the funny silly antics they get up to mean more than any dog show ever could & even more importantly the love & adornment they give is worth more than any bit of red card in the world. :huggles:

Good luck to both you & little Angel in finding a loving, caring home. :luck:

nina said:
janfiers said:
Guess its a bit like saying "Why do some people hate football or golf etc", we are all different & so too are our dogs who all have their different personalities & likes & dislikes. :blink:

Showing is "our" hobby & we inflict it on our dogs who have no say in the matter, obviously some enjoy it & some dont. :(

For me showing is secondary. Living with them day to day, watching them grow, run & play & all the funny silly antics they get up to mean more than any dog show ever could & even more importantly the love & adornment they give is worth more than any bit of red card in the world. :huggles:

Good luck to both you & little Angel in finding a loving, caring home. :luck:

I tend to agree with the above.....but I do realise everyone is different and has different views. Lots of luck to you in finding Angel her "non-showing" home :luck: :luck: :luck: ,as you say there is no point in inflicting something on her that she so very obviously dislikes.

I know Jan has limited space and can only keep a few , Im lucky in the fact that I can keep `unshowning whippets , :- " but I still have to limit the number I have , :cheers:

Harvee hates showing :( and hes 3 more to go to then that will probably be it :eek: but I love him far too much to ever rehome him , but thats cos I dont have to ;)

Everyone has different circumstances . :huggles:

I wonder if Harvee would show for someone else ? worth a try me thinks ;)

It's hard when they dislike showing. Sparky hates showing, he likes going to shows and is very sociable with other whippets and loves people but dislikes it in the ring, can't keep still, always checking who is behind him, and to be honest distracts the dogs either side of him which is not fair. Fortunately my youngest son dislikes shows as well so they just stay home together (for a tenner). I occasionally take Sparky but it's high maintenance.

Perhaps we should swap for a show Jax.?

Jenny

quintessence said:
It's hard when they dislike showing.  Sparky hates showing, he likes going to shows and is very sociable with other whippets and loves people but dislikes it in the ring, can't keep still, always checking who is behind him, and to be honest distracts the dogs either side of him which is not fair.  Fortunately my youngest son dislikes shows as well so they just stay home together (for a tenner).  I occasionally take Sparky but it's high maintenance.
Perhaps we should swap for a show Jax.?

Jenny

For a tenner :lol: look,i will mind your son and the dog for a tenner :lol: and just fer you, chuck in your laundry, oh and im good at gardening as well, speciality stool shifter

keith :cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back