The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Won't stop nibbling

EveDaisyAFMM

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
My cockapoo won't stop nibbling herself, especially her paws. She's on allergy medication and we have tried green tea and oatmeal baths, but other than telling her not to, I am stumped on how to get her to stop - anyone had this? Hate to see her uncomfortable!

It's a tough one, because stopping her is fine but as soon as you aren't there, she'll be back at it.

The key (easy to say) is to find out what's causing it. Then you can tackle the root cause, rather than just the effect (the nibbling itself).

If allergy medication isn't working, maybe it isn't an allergy; or maybe it's an allergy that this medication isn't effective for? Have you tried different medications? What medication is it, in case anyone can suggest alternatives? Is her parasite protection up to date (I'm sure it is, but we need to ask).

It's also possible it's a habit, or a nervous displacement activity. Do these ideas resonate at all?

There is often an underlying reason, some of which can be as simple as diet.
What are you feeding her and the brand name!

It's a tough one, because stopping her is fine but as soon as you aren't there, she'll be back at it.

The key (easy to say) is to find out what's causing it. Then you can tackle the root cause, rather than just the effect (the nibbling itself).

If allergy medication isn't working, maybe it isn't an allergy; or maybe it's an allergy that this medication isn't effective for? Have you tried different medications? What medication is it, in case anyone can suggest alternatives? Is her parasite protection up to date (I'm sure it is, but we need to ask).

It's also possible it's a habit, or a nervous displacement activity. Do these ideas resonate at all?
She's up to date on everything for sure and I will go back so to the vet and ask for medication alternatives :) She can get a little anxious bless her, so maybe it is a new habit? Nothing has changed at home though, so I wonder what could have triggered this!

Thank you for your advice!

There is often an underlying reason, some of which can be as simple as diet.
What are you feeding her and the brand name!
She eats a mixture of a special dry food mix from Tails with either a bit of Cesar wet food or tuna :)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back