The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Worming

stephen mason

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I have been in contact with the Intervet, S.A. people regarding the worming of our in whelp bitch. The intervet vet. recommends dosing the bitch 25 mgr. per kilo of weight per day from the 40th. day until 2 days after the birth of the litter. Is this the practice in the U.K? The recommendations for puppy vaccinations from 6 weeks to 12 weeks using DP,DHPPi+Lepto conforms to what we have used in the past. Apparently vaccinations and worming tablets can be obtained from any Chemist. Any input welcomed, Regards, Stephen

Hi Stephen, our own vet will not worm a bitch in welp, we always make sure our bitches are done before mating takes place then do the pups every two weeks untill there 8 weeks. I do know people who"s vets will worm them through pregnancy though and they seem to be ok. hope this helps.

As far as I know there is only one worming treatment that is safe to use whilst the bitch is in whelp and that is Panacur,it is specifically made to use on in whelp bitches daily from the 40th day I think too, up until they whelp.It comes in a syrup and you give a very little amount.

I have used this with success :thumbsup:

But I suppose everyone is different and Vets are different too,as some wont worm and some will whilst the bitch is in whelp. I certainly have NEVER used any other wormer on a bitch in whelp that I would normally use on my dogs.

I'm sure if I've got the name or dosage wrong above some kind person connected to a Vet practice will put me right (w00t)

Thank you all for your replies. Our whippets are wormed every 6 weeks, the tablets being acquired when the whole village,over a period of 4/5 days, queues up near the town hall for a subsidized rabies injection. Yes, the Intervet product is "panacur" but I think it comes in tablet form rather than liquid. To be on the safe side we shall have a chat with our vet. a little later this week. This litter will be our 5th. generation, all being descended from Pardee/Nevedith/ Silkstone/Cobyco/Samarkand, Dondelayo lines with a little Bohem and Manoir de la Grenouillère thrown in. Regards, Stephen

Some nice lines there Stephen,especially love the Bohem :wub:

Good luck with the litter :luck: and can't wait to see some pics :thumbsup:

I wormed my girl with panacur aswell befor she was mated and during the pregnancy under the panacur instructions and vets :thumbsup: ........best to IMHO ........Then the pup's were done every 2 weeks ........ :luck: :luck: with your girl :D

I have also used Panacur on bitches during pregnancy with success. I used the powder formula as I found it easier (and they hate the medicine!). I did use the liquid on the pups, but that is because it's the only way you know they're getting the right dose. All of my pups have been born healthy, and I have never lost any at birth. Although I have heard some scare stories, I wouldn't hesitate to use it again.

Our bitches are wormed when they come in season with Drontal Plus then the bitch is wormed with panacure when 6 weeks pregnant i have done this routine for many years with no ill effects

Well things have changed since our last litter almost 2 years ago. Panacur 250 can be acquired at our local chemist (at a cost of €8.00 for 10 tablets) but the distemper, parvovirus, hepatitis etc. vaccines have to be given by a qualified vet. Puppies have to be vaccinated at 6 weeks with Nobivac Puppy DP, at 8-9 weeks with Nobivac DHPPi+Lepto and again at 10-12 weeks. The Intervet vet. suggests mixing the tablets with water to be administered to pups via a syringe. The last litter (only one bitch) gave us a difficult time making sure the small tablet was finally swallowed. As regards dew claws most vets. seem reluctant to visit to remove the dew claws at 4/5 days. One we spoke to insisted on putting all the puppies in a basket, driving to the clinic where the dew claws would be removed, and stitching up the wound. The stitching up is news to us. In the past after removal our old vet. just used a stick of silver nitrate (or something like that) to stop the bleeding. Apparently old clients can be supplied with the vaccines by the vet. and injected by the client. Question of trust. Wife used to be a nurse. I certainly do not want to keep taking pups to the vet, upsetting the dam and exposing the pups to disease even though I understand they are protected through the dam`s milk. Hopefully we now have everything sorted out. Would be interested in knowing the procedure in the U.K. regards, Stephen

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back