The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Young greyhound who wees during the night!

Greyhoundlady

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi - I have just joined this forum as I was looking for advice. We got a beautiful 4yr old ex racer about two months ago. She has formed a pattern of getting up during the night to wee. Luckily, usually I hear her run downstairs so am in time to let her outside where she goes to wee. However, if I am not in time or do not hear her as am too fast asleep there is a patch on the carpet! We try to let her out to wee now last thing at night to wee. She still gets up in the night though. At first she was getting me up many times during the night. At the moment it seems to be just once or twice, which is better but is there any way we can help her stop this, even if only for the sake of our carpet! We have previously had an 8 yr old grey who never did this and we have also had our 4 yr old checked out at the vet and there are no medical issues. I am sure this is quite a common thing - does anyone else have this problem and any solutions?

Hi - I have just joined this forum as I was looking for advice. We got a beautiful 4yr old ex racer about two months ago. She has formed a pattern of getting up during the night to wee. Luckily, usually I hear her run downstairs so am in time to let her outside where she goes to wee. However, if I am not in time or do not hear her as am too fast asleep there is a patch on the carpet! We try to let her out to wee now last thing at night to wee. She still gets up in the night though. At first she was getting me up many times during the night. At the moment it seems to be just once or twice, which is better but is there any way we can help her stop this, even if only for the sake of our carpet! We have previously had an 8 yr old grey who never did this and we have also had our 4 yr old checked out at the vet and there are no medical issues. I am sure this is quite a common thing - does anyone else have this problem and any solutions?
Hi greyhound lady,we adopted a five year old ex- racing greyhound , who, I'm afraid,still occasionally wets the floor. The last people who had him said he did it several times a night and so returned him to the kennels. No-one told us about the problem, so we were rather miffed when he not only weed but did a large poo in the middle of the floor. However, we started to take him out very late at night, getting out of bed as you do, to let him out into the garden, and now just take him out about 9.30pm and he mostly goes through the night. I think we have to remember that these dogs have been in kennels all their lives where they can wee and poo as they like.We have now had our dog for four months and he is certainly catching on to the idea that we are pleased with him when he does his wees outside. It's a lot to ask a dog to change the habits of four years in a couple of months. Also insecurity of suddenly finding themselves in a new envirenment can't help. We give our dog the last feed at 3.30pm, so any water from the food is passed before night-time, and feel this has helped,( We also bought a Vax carpet cleaner for the sake of the carpet, but thankfully don't have to use it very often). I'm sure your girl will learn to wee outside eventually, once she is really settled in. Good luck and do persevere, these lovely dogs are worth it.

Hi

Thank you so much for answering. It sounds like you have a similar situation to us. We have thought of taking her actually out for a walk as late as possible and I think this may be a good idea and then to let her into the garden just before we go to bed also. At the moment we just do the latter. I am a part time worker so on the days I don't work I might feed her earlier. The only thing is will she then be too hungry before her morning feed comes round? She is fed twice a day - royal canin dry food. You are right about her insecurity as she has had a bit of past I think, we are not totally sure. We love her so much and have every intention of helping her work through this. We think it is rather like having a child and getting up during the night! Oh, and we are looking into the vax - this was my boyfriend's idea!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back