The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Your Handicap

sherry

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
ok just wondering how many dogs your local handicap gets on a regular basis? this is just out of curiousity.

i know old hall seem 2 have a thriving hcap, is blidworth still going? manton? maltby? north yorks? i know stockton run regular so do newton aycliffe, dawdon & horden but how many dogs do u get?

the 2 north east h/caps:

bigges maine get approx 15 or more every sat

the rising sun get @ the mo about 11 on a sunday

4or5 time dogs 30 lb+

no littleuns

4 /5 peds they looking well some great races :thumbsup:

at aycliffe :( pity people dont keep dogs to run at club, trend seems to be if they not open class off they go to pet homes.

if we dont keep the clubs going the end is near (w00t) as there are clubs closing every year :(

our sadie is not open class but she has had some great races at club i enjoy club as much as opens not as much travelling and the racing is just as good :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Manton at the moment is on its winter break from end of November back racing first Sunday in February.

Numbers vary quite alot we can have anything from 8/9 dogs up to about 22 on a good week but have to say the 22 weeks were not too often last year.

at aycliffe pity people dont keep dogs to run at club, trend seems to be if they not open class off they go to pet homes.

if we dont keep the clubs going the end is near as there are clubs closing every year

Unfortunately very true statement David maybe we do have too many opens and are not doing the clubs any favours, if there were less opens maybe the clubs would pickup and the sport in general may have an upward turn - altho have to say i love going to the opens too but if there werent as many would clubs pick up again? (Think maybe i aint doing myself any favours saying my opinions no one wi big ens will want to talk to me :- " - now all the open class people will say 'ah humbug woman' but free speech and all :( ).

I remember a night at Manton where it looked like a greyhound meet Karen :- " :lol:

rodders said:
I remember a night at Manton where it looked like a greyhound meet Karen :- "  :lol:
Me too we were invaded :D we do accommmodate big ens too if they come - never said i dont like good big ens :- " just i presonally havent got one :blink: :oops: you know what i mean :)

aycliffe do yd a lb, littuns just there are no dogs at the moment hopefully it will pick up in spring :thumbsup:

we still run on a saturday around noon.trails etc non peds peds and had a odd lurcher one last year trialed and raced and was unbeatale at the coarsing where the lure jinks side to side :thumbsup: :luck:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yet the year before David we had a healthy yard a lb handicap...think 07 we had alot of little young pups schooling and found it easier to school with some of our own lighter dogs

we tried the yard for pound @ wallsend only had 2 or 3 so the majority just race in the h/cap now. i dont think cutting down opens wud make any difference to numbers after all theres no opens on in jan but some of the clubs close. just my opinion but if the clubs never close and the weather was ok u wud prob get a few open racers even if it was just to give their dogs a run.

when u think about it half the time @ a club u prob win more than wot u wud say for winning maybe a heat @ an open, 4 instance sun gone @ the sun i think we had 11 dogs the winner got £15.00 the runner up £7.50 and they both won a trophy becoz it was the xmas h/cap @ the end of the year they will get a small trophy to keep the large ones they keep till next year, we have a six heat pool the owners pay nothing towards this but on average win approx £10.00 then we have a top dog & top bitch competetion which runs all year for regular supporter of the club top dog and top bitch will receieve a small trophy & £10.00 and last year a certificate ( not sure wot im doing this time) 2 and 3rd top dogs and top bitches received a fiver each & a certificate ( framed) again they pay nothing towards this. the money to pay for this comes from dogs run ups/domino cards and some from the entry money.

Ours (A & T) hasn't been wasn't right good last year but a lot of us have been open racing at the weekends, the majority not mixing the two.

There are a few pups though for this year that will be schooling so we shouldn't be too bad.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back