The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Zen and the art of being stubborn

Discussion in 'General Dog Forum' started by Flobo, Aug 20, 2021.

1. Flobo

Flobo Well-Known Member Registered Partner

I am looking after a dog at the moment who I have walked since she was 17months old, she is now 10. I absolutly adore her, love her to bits, but she is the most stubborn, willfull dog I know, to the point where she will stop in the middle of a road sometimes and when I try all my usual tricks of getting her to cross she'll just sit down! Over the years I have developed a variety of techniques, like making her moving in to a game ie; ready, steady, go! or actually telling her to sit(even if she is already) then stay, then come! All with high value treats..sometimes it works, sometimes she just carries on sitting.. which is fine, sometimes...

She has been with me a week and yesterday our first walk of the day had a road sitting incident, luckily a quiet side road, but still. I had to get behind her, lift her bum up and push her forwards and then she walked. Our late afternoon walk I drove her up the hill, she got 5 steps from the van, (it was now raining too) and then refused to go forwards to hill, to turn around and go to football field behind us or to just go 5 steps back to the van and go home. I am an incredibly patient person but I am ashamed to say I actually swore at her in frustration at that point(it wasn't a barrage by any means, just a 'FFS!!' moment!).

She eventually decided the football field was the way to go, so we went there, she had a wee, then we sat in the rain for 10minutes, where I gave her a hug and said I was sorry for swearing at her, then we went home... She then totally ignored me until after the ferrets had been out this morning!! We both had a crap nights sleep as I could feel her actively ignoring me all through the night!
    Anyhow today has been a good day, phew! 2 good walks with managable stops and even some compromising with direction with relative ease! She is spark out, quietly snoring as I type. Deep breath, I have regained my Zen and the art of being patient and 1 week to go!

Can anyone guess what breed of dog she is?? A few other clues;

She is incredibly loyal to the few she deigns to love
    She'll pretty much ignore everyone else quite blatently
    Some dogs she likes, some she doesn't, she'll make her mind up in the last second
    She is the largest of her breed type.
    She is a lot of fun, quite silly and affectionate in her own way with those she loves, otherwise she gives nothing away.
    Training has to be done cleverley otherwise she just won't bother interacting!

2. JoanneF

JoanneF Well-Known Member Registered

I was convinced Shar Pei until this
    But I had a coffee/keyboard interface moment at
    :D:D:D

Flobo likes this.
  3. Tinytom

Tinytom Well-Known Member Registered

Schnauzer or Airedale;););)

Flobo likes this.
  4. JudyN

JudyN Moderator Moderator Registered

Me too!

My thought was greyhound - they can be choosy with their affection. Though they're not prone to sitting, so maybe not. Lifting her bum and shoving wouldn't be guaranteed to work either.

Flobo likes this.
  5. Richard & Patsy

Richard & Patsy Member Registered

Standard poodle?

Flobo likes this.
  6. Flobo

:D one of you have got it right...;)

She's my favourite fruitloop, nutball, Airdale!! Queen of the terriers:p:D:D:D and doesn't she know it!!:confused::D:D

Ash2021, Finsky, JoanneF and 2 others like this.
  7. Finsky

Finsky Well-Known Member Registered

Brilliant....she sounds like 'fun' :rolleyes::D How about taking one of your ferrets for a walk too? Would she be more incline to follow you up where ever you and your ferret are heading? Would ferret be happy staying inside you jacket (pocket)?

Flobo likes this.
  8. Flobo

:eek: That wouldn't work for sure, she is way too interested in them and I don't think it's a 'you're interesting can I be your friend?' type of interest!!:D I reckon it would be bedlem from start to finish:eek::D:D ( as well as the fact that Sid is petrified of outside as he was found as a stray, Goose is way too nosey to be even vaguely controllable and Iggy, um he may be up for it but only if his brother came too!)
    She's the only dog I have ever had stay that walks in and the first thing she does is remove the cover from the stair gate seperating the ferrets from rest of hall. She'll then sit and watch through the gate with a bit of whining before she gets bored and wanders off, generally because they are sleeping and not entertaining her!:rolleyes::D

9. JoanneF

JoanneF Well-Known Member Registered

Not so Zen if that happened!

Flobo likes this.
  10. Ari_RR

Ari_RR Well-Known Member Registered

Love this story! She is a ridgeback!

Flobo likes this.
  11. Finsky

Finsky Well-Known Member Registered

Ah...that's that bonkers idea out of window then. Though it would make 'interesting' walk for sure...'bedlem' is kind of 'interesting':D:D

Flobo likes this.