The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Zero Refuses to Eat Her Puppy Food :/

Zero

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hello all,

So i went away for a long weekend and let my fur-baby in the capable hands of my partner. On my return i find that Zero refuses to eat her food. She has previously wolfed down her food, and often tried to at our older dogs food too. ( I supervised feeding time and made sure she never got any as its a different brand).

I couldn't work out what was wrong until my fella confessed that he'd ran out of treats for her and so had been giving her a bite of the older dogs food as a treat.

Now she i'll pick one or two bites of her food and wait/push the older dog out the way to eat his food! I'm guessing she thinks he's getting a big old bowl of treats :(

The food he's on is senior food so not suitable for her. And i don't really want to move her from her current food as she seems to be doing really well on it.

My question is, if i buy a can of puppy food. Would it be ok to mix a teaspoon in with her dry food to encourage her to eat? Or should i just find a different brand of dry food all together and hope it agrees with her?

Thank you :D

You could add the teaspoon and try and transition her onto a good brand, but you could even try the puppy with some chicken, beef, lamb etc. mixed in.

A teaspoon of wet mixed with the dry is fine but be aware you may have to continue with it if you start. If you are happy to do that, you can freeze teaspoon sized portions of the wet so it doesn't go to waste.

As an alternative uou could try adding a little hot water to the dry to bring out the smells.

I took the plunge and bought a little tray of wet food. Mixed it in and she wolfed it down, locked her bowl clean!

I don't mind keeping up with mixing the food together, as long as she eats, grows and is healthy. Thank you

I do this with my puppy. He is on Ava ans does well on it and wolfs it down with a bit of wet mixed in. Tbh because I dont use much of it, I just buy the trays from Aldi.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back