The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Skinners for non-working dogs?

Imusette

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi all,

I've been looking at getting a new dog food for my 10 year old dog.

I was looking at putting him on one of these:

Autarky Adult Salmon - protein 24% fat 13.5% fibre 3%

Autarky Mature Lite Salmon - protein 22% fat 5% fibre 6.5%

Skinners Field&Trial Adult Chicken - protein 25% fat 10% fibre 2.8%

Step up naturals adult no grain chicken - protein 23% fat 11% fibre 3.5%

I know that the protein and fibre for senior dogs should be high, and they should have a lower fat content, so I was leaning towards the skinners one but with some added fibre ingredients. The fat content in the autarky senior one seems a bit low, although I suppose this could also be supplemented. Everyone's thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Our dogs all do well on a raw diet whether they are old or young it is a diet "where one size fits all", if you want more fibre in their diet fresh vegetables can be added.
I always keep a bag of "Millies Wolfheart" on stand by for days where I forget to thaw the raw.
"Natures menu" is a convenient and clean food with no mess, it's perfectly safe and our oldies do very well on raw products.

Skinners is a very poor quality product based on, Maize, oats, Meat meal (whatever that might be? )Barley and beet pulp. None of which are of much good for our dogs whether young or old!
I would not choose this product for any of my dogs and certainly not my 2 oldies, they deserve a far better quality at their age with a higher quantity of meat. Meat being the first ingredient in the ingredients list.

Contact the "Millies Wolfheart" site for better quality foods.

If you want to feed kibble , all a working dog food tends to differ from non working dog food is fat content they normally have more fat. Also working dog food is vat free so can be cheaper as pet dog food is charged vat.

Beware lots of working dog food is marketed and made for people who want to pay as little as they can to feed their dogs and such the ingredients can be mainly grain and not much actual meat content . The whole grain vs grain free regarding DCM is on-going to my knowledge.

At 10 you can keep the same kibble as a normal adult dog but you may need to feed less depending on the dogs body condition and activity levels .

Senior dog food, like weight control food tends to have less calories per grams of weight as many people will overfeed their dogs .

It's worth bearing in mind too that some older dogs lose weight rather than gain it... in which case senior dog foods won't be appropriate for them at all.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back