The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

After crucial ligament surgery

Hooley1993

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
This is just a general query! My rottie tore her crucial ligament in her back leg last summer and since then has had surgery to repair it! My vet told me after she’d been given the all clear that she was fine going for walks but maybe not let her play with other dogs. I’ve let her off a few times with my other dogs but I do worry she will damage the other leg so try not to let her do this often! She’s a bundle of energy and loves to play 24/7 ( she’s 6 and still acts like a puppy at times) I take her for lead walks but that doesn’t always burn all her energy off! Just wondered if there was anything else I can do other than the running or has anyone else’s dog had the same operation? How do you cope now?

Lots of mental stimulation: games of hide and seek, 'find the treat under the cups', teach new tricks... If you have a search on the internet you'll find lots of suggestions. Depending on your budget, Nina Ottinson activity toys are great: https://www.nina-ottosson.com/ Even if you don't want to splash out on them, they might give you ideas for diy versions. I have a commercial version of this game which is great: DIY Pig Toy - Mini Pig Spin the Bottle Game - Treat Dispensing Toy -

You could also encourage sniffing on on-lead walks - throw a handful of kibble or small treats into long grass and let her search for them. You might also want to try scenting games - I've never done this but I'm sure there will be lots of ideas online.

Also, a big bone might keep her occupied for a long time (as long as she's not a guarder).

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back