FEEDBACK NEEDED: Dog Hampers.

Josie

Administrator
Administrator
Registered
Wagso - Clevedon Dog Walking Services
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
A friend of ours is starting a business selling dog hampers to hotels etc.

Please could you answer the following questions and help us, if you visited a hotel or holiday cottage and received a dog hamper:
  1. Would you find a dog hamper useful during your stay with your pet?
  2. What items would you like to see in a dog hamper that would make your stay more comfortable?
  3. How important is the inclusion of eco-friendly or sustainable products in the dog hamper to you?
  4. Would you prefer the dog hamper to be included in your room rate or available as an optional add-on?

Thank you so much.

1. Yes, I'd like that depending on what was in it. For example, we were once in a hotel that gave a sort of selection box of quality dog treats - great. On a ferry, we were given a little bag wit a cheap and nasty rope toy and a rawhide chew - we left it behind.

2. A little silicon collapsible bowl, some poo bags, a first aid kit with a tick tool and some good quality treats. If she is really going upmarket a fleecy throw/blanket maybe.

3. Important but not so much that I'd decline it. It also depends on the products in it. For example if she includes poo bags, I'd like them to be compostable.

4. Included. I could just buy what I needed if I was paying extra for it. I know the room rate would likely include the cost but psychologically I'd feel like I was getting a gift.

Hypothetically, of course...

1. Yes, depending on contents.

2. Things that I might forget, or not easily available when I arrive: poo bags & treats spring to mind, maybe even a bag of 'emergency kibble'. Oh, and tick removers. But the things that would be really useful would be a bit too bulky for a large dog: e.g. dog bed, food & water bowl, towels: it would make sense for the hotel itself to provide these as they'd need to be laundered after.

3. Yes. But then again, providing eco-friendly dog shampoo (or any dog shampoo), for example, isn't eco-friendly for a dog who never has a bath. And that will apply for a lot of things, to be honest. Maybe different hampers could be offered, for small/medium/large dogs? Even dog toys need to be right for the size of dog. Or the website could list available products so people could choose what would be useful to them?

4. Unless the hamper contains products useful for any dog (poo bags, treats, tick remover...), extra - if the contents weren't appropriate for my dog, I wouldn't want to feel that I was having to pay for them.

If I ran a hotel, I'd be tempted to do this myself so I could offer products from local businesses - who could be more than happy to give free/cut-price samples if info was included on where to buy them.

Hello Josie,
It sounds like a lovely idea, I have added to the questions below for my opinion and ease of reading :)

1. Would you find a dog hamper useful during your stay with your pet? As above @Judy and @JoanneF, if it had things like compostable poo bags, quality treats, maybe a calming sachet or plug in (mine is nervous in new spaces like hotels) a small fast dry dog towel (thinking to wipe the feet mainly) perhaps a fragrant pleasant smelling to humans and k9's bandana collar and a brain toy, something to keep them entertained (stuffed Kong) loaded snuffle rug that type of thing. ooh.. just thought, a small dog toothbrush and doggie toothpaste, that would be super cute for a hotel / guest house.
  2. What items would you like to see in a dog hamper that would make your stay more comfortable? Bowls, I always forget those and end up using the collapsible drinking bowl.
  3. How important is the inclusion of eco-friendly or sustainable products in the dog hamper to you? The balance of cost and conscious is vital, as we know the more traceable, ethical things are the more they appear to cost. Overall wherever possible I always chose eco, sustainable items.
  4. Would you prefer the dog hamper to be included in your room rate or available as an optional add-on? Broadly speaking I'd like to have the option and know the cost, however I also think it depends on the accommodation, if its a nice hotel to walk in to see a hamper (of any description) feels like a treat and who doesn't like hotel slippers (doggy socks perhaps) but it all comes down to price point of the accommodation and of the dog hamper. I would probably only spend up to £15-£18 for a good hamper (I would have to feel like the products are good value otherwise I might as well buy the dog a steak or similar type treat) there would need to be a picture illustrating the type of hamper I would receive in order for me to tick the box for it when online booking a room. If I was staying somewhere posh (chance would be a fine thing) like The Savoy, Dorchester etc I would expect it to be included.
I hope this helps, wish your friend good luck and let us know if she goes ahead with the idea so we can look out for it on our travels.👍

We stayed on a dog friendly camping. They gave us a treat bag. There was a pack of poo bags, hypoallergenic pet wipes , hand sanitizer for the humans and a little bag of hypoallergenic doggy rewards. I thought it was a nice touch and made us as dog owners feel welcomed instead of just tolerated.

Probably no - I know what august likes and what I am comfortable feeding her. I seldom go away, but when I have I includes enough packing space for her bowls and toys.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back