The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Have a cheetah ever exhibited at coursing meet?

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I take it you didn't attend this years! it was brass monkey weather.

The latest pic clearly show the park coursing set up with the chute to the right of the slipper for the hares to be released up.

Mark Roberts said:
The latest pic clearly show the park coursing set up with the chute to the right of the slipper for the hares to be released up.
Damn!! You guessed!

These are from some very old glass negatives from just after the turn of the century. The meet was in Nebraska.

What surprises me is the quality of the dogs they had back then. Wouldn't be ashamed to own any of them to-day.

View attachment 2091

tlewis said:
What surprises me is the quality of the dogs they had back then. Wouldn't be ashamed to own any of them to-day.
Sure that's not just from a hunt this year? I think that's Io there in the front of the line up :lol:

I don't know about Io at the front of the line but I sure like that pretty fawn one way to the left at the back. Very handsome bunch.

Merril

Wonderful collection of photos. Thanks for sharing Tony. :cheers:

Merril said:
I don't know about Io at the front of the line but I sure like that pretty fawn one way to the left at the back.  Very handsome bunch.
Merril
The fawn caught my eye as well. Quite lovely :)

catchjack

after reading through this topic with interest. even though i dont use my whippets for anything but racing and a bit of rabbiting. i have to comment on this dude sidewinder,( isn't that a rattle snake) found it funny for a while and then came to the conclusion what a wa ..er

Last edited by a moderator:
The black one in the first picture was nice too.

All these pictures were taken from glass negatives from around the turn of the last century. Actually they were not on a coursing web site, but were on an historical site for Nebraska. I just can not find them again. I guess I'm not computer savvy enough. I only copied a few and there were quite a lot more.

Another picture, of I would guess, all the entrants in a stake. Not too much detail, but you can see how well they were organize back then.

The Great Plains States has quite a history of quality longdogs going back to before General Custer.

View attachment 2095

Tony,

The pictures are wonderful. If by any chance you own them, bring them next time you are on the west coast at a hunt or race meet. I am a photographer and professional B&W darkroom printer in Ca, and have handled glass negs before or can work from original prints. I always look for this stuff on ebay etc.

Thanks, Lisa

The attached photo is by Herb Wells, its Io(W) and Honeyrose(GH) owned by George Bell

io_honey__7

Tony,

Shoot, just received your last post after I posted. I knew it was to good to be true that they were yours.

-Lisa :(

Lisa,

I think it would be great if you could post more of those pictures of Herbs. Maybe post them a couple at a time in sequence. I was going to post them but could not find them on my desk top.

Merril

eieio said:
The attached photo is by Herb Wells, its Io(W) and Honeyrose(GH) owned by George Bell
Wow Lisa, this is a great photo. Would you please tell us a bit about where this photo was taken?

Cheers,

catchjack

Herb takes some great coursing pictures and so does Rey McGehee.

His latest at.

http://personal.palouse.net/valeska/whitetail-2004.html

I don't know how Rey manages to take them when he is always holding a couple of pitching Bozois at the time.

For those coursers who don't know the hares shown at the above url are Whitetails and are still in their Winter coats. They will start changing about now until they have turned brown by mid May. Rey said that the jack in the Whippets mouth still managed to escape. Looking at the picture I wouldn't have taken odds on it. Pictures from last weekend

Wow Lisa, this is a great photo. Would you please tell us a bit about where this photo was taken?

Cheers,

catchjack

These coursing photos were taken in the southern part of the Central Valley area of California. The area is known for it's pastoral beauty and charm.

-Lisa

io_honey_1_24_1

I drive 4-5 hours to the Central Valley, guzzling Starbucks coffee to keep me awake. I drive in the middle of the night, breaking posted speed limits, in my japanese SUV, to get to the draw at the homey and welcoming Denny's Restaurant. Denny is a charming chap known for ability to cook wonderful breakfasts almost as good as Mr. McDonald.

-Lisa

io_honey_1_24__2

Satisfied and ready and rarin' to go after a wonderful meal, the 10-20 participants and judge, hop into their vehicles loaded with hounds and caravan down I-5 to be in the field at first light.

-Lisa

io_honey_1_24__3

We park the cars, and all 10-20 of us quietly prepare our dogs, and load ourselves with everything we could possibly need. Potentially we may not see our cars again until dark. Or a real bathroom, or a bush large enough to be a bathroom.

-Lisa

io_honey_1_24__4

We enter a field that we pray is full of cooperative jackrabbits. Hopefully we won't see any tarantulas and even more hopefully no rattlesnakes. Hopefully our breakfasts agree with us. I say "we" but maybe its just me.

-Lisa

io_honey1_24__8

The day grows long but with each exciting course we are rejuvenated. If we aren't getting enough courses off, we may not be getting along too well. For some reason there is a rule against drinking in the field during our hunts-perhaps we should propose that one be removed at the next board meeting. We could all be best buddies.

Ya, right.

-Lisa

io_honey__7

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back