The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Puppy refuses to drink

flange

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
My 8 month old puppy that we have had for just 5 days hasn't had a really good drink since being with us. I have tried chicken broth, bottled water, and tap water and she refused all 3 of them. She isn't getting any moisture from her food as such as she isn't eating any wet food. Can anyone help please

I would try a different sort of bowl - sometimes a dog can be upset by the reflections off metallic bowls, or by the chink of their collar against a bowl. I would try anything, from earthenware bowls to plastic, to your own mugs. If there's any clean streams locally, you could take her there and see if she'll drink from them.

Dehydration can become serious quite quickly - have a google online to find symptom lists. If different bowls don't help, it might be wise to ring your vet - they might want her to come in straight away to be checked over.

When my dog has been unwell and I've needed to hydrate him, I have added a little bit of the water from a can of tuna in spring water (not brine) to normal drinking water.

I would try a different sort of bowl - sometimes a dog can be upset by the reflections off metallic bowls, or by the chink of their collar against a bowl. I would try anything, from earthenware bowls to plastic, to your own mugs. If there's any clean streams locally, you could take her there and see if she'll drink from them.

Dehydration can become serious quite quickly - have a google online to find symptom lists. If different bowls don't help, it might be wise to ring your vet - they might want her to come in straight away to be checked over.
Thank you for the advice we have tried different bowls she now has plastic ones, there is a resivoure a few miles away so we will take her for a walk there and if she drinks from there I will fill some bottles up for her. She seems really healthy

Will she eat tinned meat or even better some raw meat. There is a lot of moisture in both of these products but the raw has better nutritional value.
What was she eating before you got her? Were you given a menu and how she is used to feeding alone? I assume she was an only puppy and not feeding with others!
I have fed troublesome puppies on the floor before now, this sometimes gets them going.
Both Natures Menu and Millies Wolfheart sell nice tinned food.

Last edited:
Will she eat tinned meat or even better some raw meat. There is a lot of moisture in both of these products but the raw has better nutritional value.
What was she eating before you got her? Were you given a menu and how she is used to feeding alone? I assume she was an only puppy and not feeding with others!
I have fed troublesome puppies on the floor before now, this sometimes gets them going.
Both Natures Menu and Millies Wolfheart sell nice tinned food.
We have tried tinned meat, we poached some chicken she eat that and had a small amount of the chicken broth, but the next day she was sick. We were told she would eat Harringtons but she hates it, she was sharing food with a lab poodle, a cooker poo. She was the only pup with much bigger dogs. The household had 3 young children so I think it was a case of the children feeding Pepper human food. I have an order of tails puppy food being delivered later in the week. But for now it's chicken, rice, scrambled egg, and new tonight we have given her poached fish and rice.

It is possible that she has never eaten alone and by herself before, and she is now having to learn how to do this, but it should not take too long. Sit with her in the same room while her food is offered and have a cup of coffee yourself, do not distract her while she eats or she may not continue eating. Keep her meals moist but not enough to spoil them.
It may take a few days for her digestive system to adjust to her new/different diet, don't worry too much if she sicks it up for a few days and sometimes our dogs are quiet happy to clean the mess up themselves and re eat the meal. As gross as this sounds it is perfectly ok, and usually stays down the second time .
Take care with the "Tails" ingredients, there appears to be a lot of cheap fillers in their food, (Rice, Maize, Beet and Wheat) all of these can be very difficult for our canine friends to digest, so watch out for some runny tummies.
If you are wanting to re hydrate your puppy a dry kibble product is not the best choice.

Thank you for the advice and things seem to be better today

Have a look at Dog Food Reviews | Find the Best Dog Food - All About Dog Food
They have a lot of good info.
The only thing I was going to add, @excuseme mentioned, she's been used to eating with other dogs around, as well as the fact she's only been with you for a short time. She'll be having to adjust to a new life with you after only ever knowing her previous home, (presuming she's only had this 1 home before you), since leaving her mum and siblings... she's not going to understand why this move has happened, so she maybe quietly worried and it displaying in her not eating or drinking as normal...just a thought of course...
Glad things seem to be improving though:)

Have a look at Dog Food Reviews | Find the Best Dog Food - All About Dog Food
They have a lot of good info.
The only thing I was going to add, @excuseme mentioned, she's been used to eating with other dogs around, as well as the fact she's only been with you for a short time. She'll be having to adjust to a new life with you after only ever knowing her previous home, (presuming she's only had this 1 home before you), since leaving her mum and siblings... she's not going to understand why this move has happened, so she maybe quietly worried and it displaying in her not eating or drinking as normal...just a thought of course...
Glad things seem to be improving though:)
We didn't see her with Mum. There is more to her than meets the eye so a leaning curve it is

My 8 month old puppy that we have had for just 5 days hasn't had a really good drink since being with us. I have tried chicken broth, bottled water, and tap water and she refused all 3 of them. She isn't getting any moisture from her food as such as she isn't eating any wet food. Can anyone help please
I found moving the bowl away from their food (outside in the garden) was helpful.

Andrew Gatt - dog owner to my three pups

Is she going for a wee? If not then a vet visit is urgent - if she is then she is getting moisture somewhere or drinking when you are not in the room

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back