The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Show whippets and hunting

pete

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Should a show whippet be able to catch a rabbit?

Hi Pete

ALL whippets regardless of how or what they have been bred for can & will catch a rabbit given the chance.

there is no better sight than watching a dog carry out the function which they were arriginally bred for.

take your dog out where there are plenty of rabbits and he/she will very soon show you that it knows what to do.

About 2 years ago, a couple approached my mother, who had a litter at the time.  The husband wanted a puppy to hunt with his lurcher, but the wife wanted a show dog.  They had been told that they could not find both in the same puppy.  They bought one of Mum's puppy bitches (all show lines).  She has been very successful in the show ring, and excellent in the field.  Any whippet will want to chase, and most will easily be able to catch a rabbit.  ( I say most because my youngster loves chasing, but is not too sure what to do when he catches up with his bunny!)

How do you get permission to run your dogs as i am having no luck in my surrounding area (Leigh)

Hi Dave

i've replyed to your other thread, around leigh you have a lot of farm land within a short drive, as i've said on the other thread you need to make yourself very busy and keep smiling even when they say no, try leaving you name & number with a few farmers then your not just a stranger you have then given them somthing that most asking for permission dont offer and then when they've had chance to think about you they may just give you a call,

but the main thing is be busy and be very polite even if the farmers not.

Hi Dave

I know it is rabbiting you want to do with your  dog but why don't you come along to our track in Astley to give your dog a run at least then it is chasing something & at the same time keeping it fit:)

-------

Vicky

(Edited by Vicky at 2:16 pm on Sep. 16, 2001)

(Edited by Vicky at 8:23 pm on Sep. 16, 2001)

Hi Dave

I live in Leigh too. Most local rabbiters travel out of the area some as far as Scotland. When rabbits do appear locally they are soon snapped up by shooters,ferreters & lurcher men. In other parts of the country they are a genuine nuisance I saw a field in Sussex literally covered in them.  Many landowners/tenants in other areas will probably welcome you. I'd take Vicky's advice & give your dog a run at Gin Pit in the meantime.

I see my daughter has told you of the pup I sold for show and work.  I am proud to tell you that, not only does she catch rabbits ,but with her lurcher friend has killed two foxes.  That's a really lovely home for a young whippet.

Annette  (also Ringmore)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back