The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Staffy Prejudice

TIGGERGOULD

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
A few lurcher and terrier shows i went to this year did not have classes for staffs fox terriers bedlington terriers airdales CAIRN WEST HIGHLAND E.T.C FUND RAISERS ARE MISSING OUT BY NOT INCLUDING A CLASS FOR ANY OTHER TERRIER IT ALSO BAFFLES ME WHY PEOPLE SHOW DOGS IN WORKING CLASSES THAT HAVENT GOT THEIR NOSES DIRTY IN THEIR LIVES I ALSO SAW NO BULL BREEDS ON SOME SHOW ADVERTISING WHATS ALL THIS ABOUT ITS LIKE DOG APARTHIED DOES THIS MEAN BULL XS IT IS A SLIPPERY SLOPE BECAUSE SOME OF THE BEST LURCHERS IVE SEEN ARE BULLX WHAT ARE YOUR VIEWS ON THIS TREND FELLOW K9RS? ALSO WHAT ARE YOUR VIEWS ON SIGHTHOUND XSIGHTHOUND LURCHERS COMPETING IN LURCHER SIM AND STRAIGHT RACING ? SHOUD THEIR BE A SEPARATE CLASS FOR SIGHTHOUNDS I WOULD APPREICEATE YOUR VIEWS ON THIS SUBJECT

TIGGERGOULD said:
A few lurcher and terrier shows i went to this year did not have classes for staffs fox terriers bedlington terriers airdales CAIRN WEST HIGHLAND E.T.C  FUND RAISERS ARE MISSING OUT BY NOT INCLUDING A CLASS FOR ANY OTHER TERRIER IT ALSO BAFFLES ME WHY PEOPLE SHOW DOGS IN WORKING CLASSES THAT HAVENT GOT THEIR NOSES DIRTY IN THEIR LIVES I ALSO SAW NO BULL BREEDS ON SOME SHOW ADVERTISING WHATS ALL THIS ABOUT ITS LIKE DOG APARTHIED DOES THIS MEAN BULL XS IT IS A SLIPPERY SLOPE BECAUSE SOME OF THE BEST LURCHERS IVE SEEN  ARE BULLX WHAT ARE YOUR VIEWS ON THIS TREND FELLOW K9RS?  ALSO WHAT ARE YOUR VIEWS ON SIGHTHOUND XSIGHTHOUND LURCHERS COMPETING IN LURCHER SIM AND STRAIGHT RACING ? SHOUD THEIR BE A SEPARATE CLASS FOR SIGHTHOUNDS I WOULD APPREICEATE YOUR VIEWS ON THIS SUBJECT

cant believe that no-one has any views on this!! :oops:

have i posted this correctly? :teehee:

TIGGERGOULD said:
TIGGERGOULD said:
A few lurcher and terrier shows i went to this year did not have classes for staffs fox terriers bedlington terriers airdales CAIRN WEST HIGHLAND E.T.C  FUND RAISERS ARE MISSING OUT BY NOT INCLUDING A CLASS FOR ANY OTHER TERRIER IT ALSO BAFFLES ME WHY PEOPLE SHOW DOGS IN WORKING CLASSES THAT HAVENT GOT THEIR NOSES DIRTY IN THEIR LIVES I ALSO SAW NO BULL BREEDS ON SOME SHOW ADVERTISING WHATS ALL THIS ABOUT ITS LIKE DOG APARTHIED DOES THIS MEAN BULL XS IT IS A SLIPPERY SLOPE BECAUSE SOME OF THE BEST LURCHERS IVE SEEN  ARE BULLX WHAT ARE YOUR VIEWS ON THIS TREND FELLOW K9RS?  ALSO WHAT ARE YOUR VIEWS ON SIGHTHOUND XSIGHTHOUND LURCHERS COMPETING IN LURCHER SIM AND STRAIGHT RACING ? SHOUD THEIR BE A SEPARATE CLASS FOR SIGHTHOUNDS I WOULD APPREICEATE YOUR VIEWS ON THIS SUBJECT

cant believe that no-one has any views on this!! :oops:

have i posted this correctly? :teehee:

Hi there,

I think you would get more response on THE HUNTING LIFE to your topic and a good discussion from people.

Hoping this will help. :thumbsup:

I find it difficult to equate bulls with sighthounds. Lurchers should be sighthound crosses with collies, bedlingtons etc., but not bulls. These bull crosses can have very suspect natures.

As for sight hound racing/lure coursing at lurcher shows, what is wrong with that? That is what they do!!!!!!!!!! They are bred to work and pick up rabbits, used to be hares pre-ban.

The terrier side of the shows never used to include the bull crosses, it was jacks, patterdales, fox terriers, bedlingtons, heelers etc, never bulls as they are not a hunting breed.

As for working terriers, how do you know these terrier are not worked? Loads of lurchers at shows are not worked, I personally don't have a problem with that, unless some makes it a rule that only working dogs can enter these shows, this is how it will be. These people also bring money with them to enter and attend, so don't knock them.

I have given my opinion for what it's worth.

Last edited by a moderator:
i think the answer to your question is that the terrier people don't see staffs as working terriers, lakeys, borders,jr's, patterdales and any of these x'd, are working breeds, as with the lurchers most people, judges and the like think bull x's can be agressive just cos of the rep bulls have got, i have judge quite a few shows through the years and have no problem with bullx's in fact i have given a few best in show, i had no problem racing and sym coursing with greyxwhipps with my lurcher as he beat quite a few of these in his day, there is a lot of lurchers out there which are very fast you just got to get the one that is

When I used to go to a lot of terrier and lurcher shows , staffs used to get shown in a mixed class for miscellaneous breeds that wouldn`t have attracted enough entries for a full class. I`ve seen a couple of Staffies that were great ratters, and one that would deal well with bigger game :D If there were more people working them then you might get more people wanting to show them at working terrier shows.

You`ll always get people who don`t work their dogs entering them into working classes, it`s a fact of life/ they are just chasing rosettes. The way I look at it is that if you know yourself what your dogs can do then b-----s to everyone else, a rosette in a working class wouldn`t make any difference :D

As for sighthound crosses being lurchers, this is an argument that has been around for longer than I`ve owned lurchers sighthounds, whippets etc. Some say a lurcher is any cross between a greyhound., whippet, any sighthound and another type of dog be it collie, terrier retriever etc. Others thinks a lurcher is any non pedigree sighthound.

20 years or more ago , a sighthound cross i.e saluki x greyhound would have been called a longdog , a collie x greyhound a lurcher, beddie whippet a lurcher etc. times change.

As for the racing it`s up to the organisers to class the dogs, but the fastest dog always wins :D

Last edited by a moderator:
nigelmcfc said:
When I used to go to a lot of terrier and lurcher shows , staffs used to get shown in a mixed class for miscellaneous breeds that wouldn`t have attracted enough entries for a full class. I`ve seen a couple of Staffies that were great ratters, and one that would deal well with bigger game :D If there were more people working them then you might get more people wanting to show them at working terrier shows.
You`ll always get people who don`t work their dogs entering them into working classes, it`s a fact of life/ they are just chasing rosettes. The way I look at it is that if you know yourself what your dogs can do then b-----s to everyone else, a rosette in a working class wouldn`t make any difference :D

As for sighthound crosses being lurchers, this is an argument that has been around for longer than I`ve owned lurchers sighthounds, whippets etc. Some say a lurcher is any cross between a greyhound., whippet, any sighthound and another type of dog be it collie, terrier retriever etc. Others thinks a lurcher is any non pedigree sighthound.

20 years or more ago  , a sighthound cross i.e saluki x greyhound would have been called a longdog , a collie x greyhound a lurcher, beddie whippet a lurcher etc. times change.

As for the racing it`s up to the organisers to class the dogs, but the fastest dog always wins  :D

Well said, you explained it much better than I did. I just cannot see staffies in the context of working. I know they make good ratting dogs, but how many people use them for that. Most seem to be used as thing parade around with in black leather and brass harnesses!

bertha said:
I find it difficult to equate bulls with sighthounds. Lurchers should be sighthound crosses with collies, bedlingtons etc., but not bulls. These bull crosses can have very suspect natures.
As for sight hound racing/lure coursing at lurcher shows, what is wrong with that? That is what they do!!!!!!!!!! They are bred to work and pick up rabbits, used to be hares pre-ban.

The terrier side of the shows never used to include the bull crosses, it was jacks, patterdales, fox terriers, bedlingtons, heelers etc, never bulls as they are not a hunting breed.

As for working terriers, how do you know these terrier are not worked? Loads of lurchers at shows are not worked, I personally don't have a problem with that, unless some makes it a rule that only working dogs can enter these shows, this is how it will be. These people also bring money with them to enter and attend, so don't knock them.

I have given my opinion for what it's worth.

Debbie b said:
i think the answer to your question is that the terrier people don't see staffs as working terriers,  lakeys, borders,jr's, patterdales and any of these x'd, are  working breeds, as with the lurchers most people, judges and the like think bull x's can be agressive just cos of the rep bulls have got, i have judge quite a few shows through the years and have no problem with bullx's in fact i have given a few best in show,  i had no problem racing and sym coursing with greyxwhipps with my lurcher as he beat quite a few of these in his day, there is a lot of lurchers out there which are very fast you just got to get the one that is

nigelmcfc said:

20 years or more ago  , a sighthound cross i.e saluki x greyhound would have been called a longdog , a collie x greyhound a lurcher, beddie whippet a lurcher etc. times change.

As for the racing it`s up to the organisers to class the dogs, but the fastest dog always wins  :D

ALL VERY WELL PUT :thumbsup:

I think there are enough Staffies in rescue centres already,without adding crosses as well.I go on Babbington Rescue most weeks,90% of the dogs are Staffies.I think the Bull crosses are well catered for by having there own class in the Lurcher ring and there own championships.As for Sighthounds being Lurchers,like another k9er has said,i would say a longdog.I have one of these long dogs,who works,races and shows,along with many other dogs.I also have a Lurcher and a Greyhound.I only ever show or race the Greyhound in Sighthound classes.I think the longdogs are helping keep the Lurcher shows on there feet,and at the end of the day,as has been said,the best dog wins.I know that my longdog will always outrun my Lurcher,but my Lurcher can turn on a sixpence,and over rough ground,will out run my longdog.I just enjoy owning a bit of allsorts,and enjoy working,racing,and showing all my lot.The Lurcher/Sighthound debate is a old hat,and as far as i know,has been around for years,i think thats why there was a delay in people responding to the post. :thumbsup:

Amandax

finleyfoofoo said:
I think there are enough Staffies in rescue centres already,without adding crosses as well.I go on Babbington Rescue most weeks,90% of the dogs are Staffies.I think the Bull crosses are well catered for by having there own class in the Lurcher ring and there own championships.As for Sighthounds being Lurchers,like another k9er has said,i would say a longdog.I have one of these long dogs,who works,races and shows,along with many other dogs.I also have a Lurcher and a Greyhound.I only ever show or race the Greyhound in Sighthound classes.I think the longdogs are helping keep the Lurcher shows on there feet,and at the end of the day,as has been said,the best dog wins.I know that my longdog will always outrun my Lurcher,but my Lurcher can turn on a sixpence,and over rough ground,will out run my longdog.I just enjoy owning a bit of allsorts,and enjoy working,racing,and showing all my lot.The Lurcher/Sighthound debate is a old hat,and as far as i know,has been around for years,i think thats why there was a delay in people responding to the post. :thumbsup: Amandax

[SIZE=14pt][/SIZE]

and you have proved your point with all the winning your dogs have done :huggles:

Debbie b said:
finleyfoofoo said:
I think there are enough Staffies in rescue centres already,without adding crosses as well.I go on Babbington Rescue most weeks,90% of the dogs are Staffies.I think the Bull crosses are well catered for by having there own class in the Lurcher ring and there own championships.As for Sighthounds being Lurchers,like another k9er has said,i would say a longdog.I have one of these long dogs,who works,races and shows,along with many other dogs.I also have a Lurcher and a Greyhound.I only ever show or race the Greyhound in Sighthound classes.I think the longdogs are helping keep the Lurcher shows on there feet,and at the end of the day,as has been said,the best dog wins.I know that my longdog will always outrun my Lurcher,but my Lurcher can turn on a sixpence,and over rough ground,will out run my longdog.I just enjoy owning a bit of allsorts,and enjoy working,racing,and showing all my lot.The Lurcher/Sighthound debate is a old hat,and as far as i know,has been around for years,i think thats why there was a delay in people responding to the post. :thumbsup: Amandax

[SIZE=14pt][/SIZE]

and you have proved your point with all the winning your dogs have done :huggles:

Thanks Debbie,

I am very proud of my lot,and hopefully,my new longdog,Cracker,will do well too.

The Longdog at Lurcher shows,has been bought up many times.If you go to the Lurcher shows,most of the fast dogs are longdogs,so if you can,t beat em,join em,by owning both i can see both point of views.But i do think that the Lurcher shows are already dwindling,so lets see more longdogs,it should be treated with good sportsmanship and be fun :thumbsup:

Amandax

The reason is because THEY ARE CRAP if you want a decent small dog

to hunt you CAN NOT beat a whippet...... come and see me if you have any problems, son.

John E Greenwood said:
The reason is because  THEY ARE CRAP if you want a decent small dog

to hunt you CAN NOT beat a whippet...... come and see me if you have any problems, son.

I whole heartedly disagree.. 'to hunt you CAN NOT beat a whippet.........

Depends what you want to hunt.......... :D

20 years or more ago , a sighthound cross i.e saluki x greyhound would have been called a longdog , a collie x greyhound a lurcher, beddie whippet a lurcher etc. times change.

Whether times change or not a sighthound x sighthound is still a longdog always has been always will be.

Lamper1980 said:
Whether times change or not a sighthound x sighthound is still a longdog always has been always will be.

there`s no arguing with that point ,lurchers, longdogs and sighthounds all have their merits so you buy the dog which suits your needs,coursing, racing etc,but the end of the day a lurcher is a cross as described by lamper1980 :thumbsup:

i havent come to discuss the lurchers etc as yous are all out of my league on that,and id make a fool of my self.I have worked a few staffies,mostly on rats i must admit but i did have one i used with ferrets,i love staffs but i must admit on the rabbits they were a bit too heavy mouthed,the rabbit was badly bruised and sometimes broken bones that were like splinters.Before the ban on foxes the staffy was brill,also working along with a lurcher bred to chase deer they can grab and bring the deer down.Thats if your lurcher is strong enough to hold on till the staffy arrives.But to me it is a lingering death for the deer,i have had a deerhound cross english bull terrier that worked good.here is his pic.

0002.jpg

0001.jpg

but once again a bit heavy mouthed.But i have picked a pup out of my stepsons litter to train to work.As for terrier shows,i dont think there is enough people out there working their staffs,if there was i would be pleased to enter my future worker only if he was good enough.So come on get your staffs working.

jane bone said:
i havent come to discuss the lurchers etc as yous are all out of my league on that,and id make a fool of my self.I have worked a few staffies,mostly on rats i must admit but i did have one i used with ferrets,i love staffs but i must admit on the rabbits they were a bit too heavy mouthed,the rabbit was badly bruised and sometimes broken bones that were like splinters.Before the ban on foxes the staffy was brill,also working along with a lurcher bred to chase deer they can grab and bring the deer down.Thats if your lurcher is strong enough to hold on till the staffy arrives.But to me it is a lingering death for the deer,i have had a deerhound cross english bull terrier that worked good.here is his pic.
0002.jpg

0001.jpg

but once again a bit heavy mouthed.But i have picked a pup out of my stepsons litter to train to work.As for terrier shows,i dont think there is enough people out there working their staffs,if there was i would be pleased to enter my future worker only if he was good enough.So come on get your staffs working.

How much deerhound in that dog?. nice dog though :thumbsup:

these pics were taken after we had shaved him,not sure,i got him off i lad in wigan for free,his mum is the bull terrier the dad was a deerhound,his mum was an african breed line,she was quite tall.I worked him a few times then the lad wanted him back.I would of loved to have crossed him with a bitch greyhound but he had been snipped before i got him,but he is still working and doing great.The lad missed him once he had gone.

jane bone said:
these pics were taken after we had shaved him,not sure,i got him off i lad in wigan for free,his mum is the bull terrier the dad was a deerhound,his mum was an african breed line,she was quite tall.I worked him a few times then the lad wanted him back.I would of loved to have crossed him with a bitch greyhound but he had been snipped before i got him,but he is still working and doing great.The lad missed him once he had gone.
An African breed line? Maybe he's a hyena LOL

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back