The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

11 year old dog and supplements

Ken Thomas

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
my dog is a 11 year old jackshi, now he seams fine jumps around like a pup when he knows his going out eats quite well, now he is on probiotics for his poo but is it worth giving him other supplements to be on the safe side.

A lot of people recommend a joint supplement like YuMove. Of course, you can never really tell if it works or not as you don't know what your dog would have been like without it, but it's worth considering.

We use a supplement that has a very similar composition to YuMove but costs a bit less. It's called Age-ility.

We also use a magnetic collar (Bioflow). People who wear the bracelets say they either make no difference, or they are transformational. I don't know whether it helps but my view is it can't do any harm.

Reactions: RGC
Actually - there is a way to find out if your dog would be better without it @JudyN !

If you do a gut microbiome test, you can see if your dog is efficiently breaking down the molecules related to all aspects of nutrition (chondroitin for joints, protein, fats...)

Treat Therapeutics does a gut-testing service in the UK

Actually - there is a way to find out if your dog would be better without it @JudyN !

If you do a gut microbiome test, you can see if your dog is efficiently breaking down the molecules related to all aspects of nutrition (chondroitin for joints, protein, fats...)

Gut microbiome tests are not recognised as being reliable diagnostic tools in humans. The gut microbiome can change daily depending on diet, stress, etc., and so you are really trying to hit a moving target, and there is no good data that changing the diet will change the microbiome. If there isn't a good evidence base in humans, I very much doubt there is for dogs. Have you done research to show that giving joint supplements to symptom-free dogs whose gut microbiome looks fine has no benefits? If so, was the result statistically significant, and was this a random controlled double blinded trial?

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back