The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

8 week old pup and 19 month old

Julie69

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi, I'm New to this, but in need of some advise. We are getting a new puppy on Saturday, we already have a 19 month old dog, who has full access to the house when left alone. My question is are we best putting the New pup in a crate when left ( won't be for a while yet ) in a separate room to our other dog, or in the same room.

Hi, and congratulations!

If it were me, I would crate train the puppy and use the crate for safety. Obviously a puppy can not be left for long periods in a crate but short periods after eating and toileting will be fine. Your older dog might prefer to be left in peace for a while too :)

Choose a room that you can use, later, to leave you puppy loose in. For most people this will be the kitchen, but if open plan might have to another room. When puppy outgrows the crate he/she will be used to the room they are left in.

It is a tough call about whether to leave the two together. Puppy might get frustrated seeing older dog wandering around. Or puppy might settle more with the presence of older dog around? Bit of a case of suck it and see :)  

I think we are gonna see how they interact with each other, and take it from there. My older dog just lies behind the front door when left, doesn't even play with his toys. I'm hoping he teaches our new pup how to relax. 

Hi, Julie -
how are the pups getting along? -- & how are U coping?  Are things going well?

And we need * pictures *, LOL. ;)  
- terry

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back