The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

9 month old puppy now barking in the night

Miselong

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi

We have a 9 month old puppy that we've had since 10 weeks old.

The first month or so was hard especially with nighttime, but we got there in the end and puppy has been sleeping through the night no problems for months.

However this last week she has started barking after bedtime. The first night I went down and slept with her. I know this is a big no no but we live in terrace housing and it's not fair on the neighdbours.

It's been almost a week now. The only thing that we have changed is I happened to have a bunch of flowers in the kitchen. Could it possibly be the smell that is upsetting her? If so why is she ok when we are with her?

I have removed the flowers today, so if the barking stops tomorrow or day after we will know why but does anybody have any advice or had This happen too. Puppy still hasn't come into season, do you think it could be that?

Thank you in anticipation.

Emma

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Miselong,

9 months is teenager time, which test boundaries and just generally driving you up the wall, any time day or night, to see what they can get away with. It's a total nightmare!

I understand that you are in a terrace and have to consider the neighbours, but the only way you are going to break this is to ignore her. Literally!!!!

Even if she goes on for hours and hours, and then you cave in she knows that eventually you will crack and go and sleep with her and she has got what she wants.

If you ignore her, she will give up eventually and go to sleep.

The only time you should tend to her is if she needs the toilet.

There is no other training tool, or ways or means of getting her to be quiet other than this.

Explain to your neighbours what's happening and you never know they might not even hear her if they are asleep!

Apologies for the blunt reply but it literally that simple.

Sophie x

Exactly what Sophie said...take your neighbours a bottle of wine...say im very sorry i have a teenager in the house..explain what you are doing and tell them it will get easier soon. Remember EVERY time you give in for a quiet life all you are teaching them is they need to cry/howl/bark longer harder and louder next time. stay strong..his stage dosent last forever ..i know it feels like it does but honestly if you stay firm, but fair and most of all consistent they will get the message quite quickly :) . good luck x

Yep, apologies to all of the humans and ignoring the dog are the way to teach her that she doesn't get the humans to pay her attention at her will just because she wants them.

It could be the flowers, it could be the start of her season, or it could just be that she's being a madam teenager. If it's the flowers then she needs to get used to them and if it's her season then she needs to learn not to make such a fuss. In all likelihood it's her testing the boundaries so it's all the more important to not let her get away with it and dictate whether you get up and pay her attention when you need to be sleeping.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back