The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

9 Week Doberman Pup With Hair Loss

Iain

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi, I'm new on here and I hope someone can give me some advice.

We have a 9 week old Doberman Bitch called Teah and we've had her for around a week and a half now. She's Brown, beautiful and cheeky.

One problem - she started to get a "thinning" of her coat right down the length of her spine. It's not so visible when you look at her from the head down but it stands out when you look at her from her hind side up. Her chest also appears to be thinning and also I think the rear of her hind legs. There isn't any redness or broken areas although i have noticed her having the odd scratch. Our vet is puzzled and will be referring her to a vet hospital in a couple of weeks if it doesn't get better.

She's on James Wellbeloved Puppy/Performance. She doesn't seem stressed in any way - shes a bundle of fun.

So I'd be grateul if anyone would be able to shed a bit of light on this.

Great site by the way.

Sorry cant give you any advice :( its a great site & im sure someone on here may be able to help you :)

Hope Teah's coat improves soon :thumbsup: she sounds gorgeous o:)

Hi Iain welcome to k9 :)

My Mum (Kris on here) used to breed and show dobes so if this is a trait of the breed she'll probably reply and let you know. I do recall that brown and tans seemed to be susceptible to skin conditions? She'll probably be online tomorrow evening.

Welcome to K9!

I made a quick search on google, as I knew hair loss was common in blue dobes (and, less frequently, blue dogs of other breeds), but not brown ones. I came across this site: http://www.seattle-attorney.com/storm/sup.html

From what I can gather from this site, you might want to have her tested for hyperthyroidism.

Anyway, fingers crossed it is nothing serious :luck: :luck: :luck:

hi there.blue dobes and fawns (isabellas) do tend to have a lot of skin/coat problems.colour inheirited alopaecia is one prob but there can be many others.in the liver and tans there are less hairs per sq inch than black/tans,they also tend to bleed more when cut.(dunno why they just do!)i had a liver an tan bitch that had a disease that involved hair loss but it was from the flanks and she also had swellings between the toes.it was a problem with her glands and her hormones.its hard to tell what it is without testing cos theres a number of reasons why a dog can lose its coat,especially in a specific area like the spine.has your vet took skin scrapings for mange both demodectic and sarcoptic?also if i remember rightly chellated zinc is supposed to be good for thin coat.we never in all the years we bred dobes bred any blues or fawns specifically because of the coat and skin problems they have.a lot of folk bred them and sold them for vastly inflated prices to unsuspecting new owners telling them they were very rare and valuable.ha!the only thing rare about them was the abscence of any money in your wallet when you owned one cos you were always going back an forth to the vets with them!liver and tans dont usually get this problem but im not saying it isnt possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
dont know if this will help, as it was recommended for my girls itchy flaky skin, but ambers coat looks better for it :tea tree oil shampoo, as well as tea tree spray.

you could also try some supplements, such as codliver oil (few drops each day) or wheatgerm oil.they might not increase hair growth, but they will definately improve the condition of whats there.

:luck: in finding the cause

Which James Wellbeloved is she on ?? .......as there has been a problem with the turkey and rice one and allergies, collitus etc .........Some Dob's do seem to suffer with allergies that result in bald area's and thinning hair (my friend has 2 .....luckily one is now tablet controlled)........I wouldn't think it would be hypo or hyper thyroidism as the hair loss down the spine is very unusual .......... :luck: :luck: with her ........btw some dogs are just naturally a bit bald in places ;) .......

Hi how high is the protine in this pups diet i had the same sort of thing years ago with a whippet fed on omega rings i changed the diet to meat & veg the problem went away i would also scrape the skin & have it checked for signs of mange :luck:

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate your concern and your comments.

I've checked out the web site suggested by bardmand and the symptoms described suggest that she may very well have CDS.

Our vet took some scrapings and has sent these along with some photos to the vet hospital.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back