The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

9 weeks puppy crating &behaviour

AlfieBo

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi,

I've recently got a cavapoo puppy (our first) a few days ago and so far he's settling well. Initially he wasn't eating much and very sulky but the last couple of days he's full on tornado mode. He's being crated so he sleeps in it fine throughout the night after he was very anxious the first night. Now he doesn't cry, we take him on toilet breaks outside and once we put him back in he goes back to sleep with no fuss.
During the day is another story... he hardly goes in it, we feed him in the crate so he goes in and we close the door for a few seconds and then let him out (no crying or whining), we started putting high value treats and lick mat but as soon as he finishes them, he goes out straight away. We now started to associate word "crate" with lots of treat scattered around the crate for him to find.

I'm wondering if we're on the right path here with crate training?
At the moment it is so exhausting to have to watch him every second of the day (in case of accidents), as he has free reign (open plan kitchen & living room), his crate is in the living room, so we are thinking of having a gate squared and used as a pen for him to play in sometimes just to get that 5 mins back to get a cup of coffee and as a mini time out when he gets his crazy hyper modes when he's over excited which affects his mood and takes ages for him to settle and sleep (we have to either hold him or distract him with nylabone till hes tired enough). Meanwhile we will continue our crate training till he likes chilling in it outside of nap times & bed time.
Any advice is very much appreciated.

You may simply be expecting too much too soon - it's a great start that he sleeps well in his crate at night. There's an excellent article on crate training by behaviourist Emma Judson here: Crate Training, by Emma Judson Do ask if you have any further questions after reading it.

A puppy playpen would be a great idea, or you could use in effect a fence (maybe a playpen opened up) to keep him in the kitchen area rather than the living area, as I'm assuming the former is easier to make puppy proof. The early days are exhausting, there's no two ways about it, but it sounds like your cavapoo is making excellent progress.

We have more articles for puppyhood that might interest you, all available here: Useful Links & Recommended Reading

Oh, and we do love puppy photos... hint hint ;-)

How much time each day are you closing the door on your puppy. I understand he is shut in it at night which is of course very useful, but how many hours during the day also.

I am not a great lover of cages, dogs and puppies are social creatures and naturally live in packs not shut away in cages and learning nothing, just being horribly bored and miserable
I think your suggestion of a pen gives more freedom and movement, a much better idea or as you have suggested get a gate for the doorway. :rolleyes:

Hi
Oh thank you that's a great article I'll have a read through the rest while he naps. that's such a relief to hear, you are right we might be expecting too much too soon, we will follow the steps of the crate training and take it slow.
Indeed a play pen opened up would be ideal so will have a look at that set up in the kitchen.
Thank you

Oh here's a pic of him sitting nicely before the zoomies

Attachments

• 20230214_113956.jpg
    20230214_113956.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 85
How much time each day are you closing the door on your puppy. I understand he is shut in it at night which is of course very useful, but how many hours during the day also.

I am not a great lover of cages, dogs and puppies are social creatures and naturally live in packs not shut away in cages and learning nothing, just being horribly bored and miserable
I think your suggestion of a pen gives more freedom and movement, a much better idea or as you have suggested get a gate for the doorway. :rolleyes:

Hi

I agree, we do not close the door on him only for a few seconds while he's eating his meals, and when he's napping ( he falls asleep next to it, we pick him up and put him in crate then close the door ( he doesnt even flinch, when he wakes up he stares at us with his puppy eyes and we open the door,no crying or whining in the process )other than that, he is never in it with the door shut, we just put kibbles and treats in it he goes in, scuffs them all and gets out ha.

Definitely something we will set up today.
Thank you

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back