The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

9wk old pup crying all night

swaza

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hello, I am new to the forum and a new dog owner.

We collected our Lhasa-Poo at the weekend and he is really good and does all of his business outside and truly is a pleasure.

HOWEVER, he loves his crate and sleeps in there during the day, when it comes to night time he has a playpen (so he doesn't come to any harm) with access to his crate. He cries non-stop, I go downstairs take him outside he just continues to cry jumping up at my legs for attention (I give none) take him back in and back to bed for us both. He does eventually settle but probably not until 2am then sleeps through til 6am ish.

He also has no poop problems but last night there was a tiny bit of blood in it (on a pad outside his crate in the pen) and I can only put this down to stress as he is fine at all other times.

Just not sure what to do for the best. Would he be better in our bedroom, or once I start that I'm guessing that's it for good.

I'm sure this won't last for long and we are managing to be strong and not give in but I hope we're not causing his tummy to get upset.

Many thanks

He probably would be better with you at night. Take his bed or crate to your room where you can reassure him if he gets upset. Remember being separated from his mum and littermates is distressful. There is a balance between ignoring cries for attention (which you will learn to recognise) and crying through distress. At this stage heneeds reassurance, not isolation. You wouldn't leave a child crying in an empty room, it's the same with your puppy, if you do you risk reinforcing the message that being left is indeed a terrible thing, the anxiety of being left gets reinforced and although the crying may stop, it's because your puppy has shut down. He stops crying as he knows it has no effect but he is not in a happy state of mind.

Once he has settled for a few nights in your room, start to move his bed away in small steps. Outside the open door, the hallway,outside the room where he is to sleep etc until he is where you want him to stay. If the crying restarts, you have moved too fast for him. Go back a step and stay there for a few nights.

Re the blood in the poo, it could well be from the stress of moving. Keep an eye on it and see your vet if you are concerned.

BTW I think puppy pads slow toilet training as they give mixed messages about whether it's ok to toilet indoors. At this stage you should be setting your alarm to take him out a couple of times in the night. his little bladder and bowel aren't big enough or strong enough to last all night. You ideally want him out before he needs to toilet so you are setting him up to succeed, not have 'accidents '.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back