The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

A Few Last Night

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
a1dogs said:
grendel said:
markbrick said:
now thats what a lurcher forum should be about :thumbsup: theres not many on here who can go out tonight and catch them nus,are will drive 300 miles in bad weather to catch them nus,good on you mark
OK I'm prepared to be smacked down here but here goes:

Firstly - Towzer, congrats on an obviously good night. Great looking dogs and the result shows the amount of time and effort you put into them.

Secondly - I agree that a lurcher forum should embrace hunting and the reality of running lurchers but I'm not convinced that photos are necessary. I am 100% pro hunting in all it's forms and love seeing working dogs in action. I just don't know about this forum as I think photos of dead furry beasties, especially large bags, can be detrimental to the future of country sports in the UK where laws that affect the countryside and it's pursuits are in effect really made by people living in cities.

Photos such as these are an honest, perfectly legal and true representation of what lurchers are capable of when owned by people who know what they are doing. My fear is when large catches are shown in glorious technicolor the bunny huggers see 2 dogs taking 28 rabbits then start doing the maths and wonder just how many rabbits are being killed by these bloodthirsty lurchers across the country. Suddenly every lurcher is a hunting dog which must mean many thousands of innocent bunnies are being slaughtered every night for fun.

Everybody involved in shooting/hunting/country sports knows what happens at a shoot or a night's lamping. To those actually involved a photograph is a memento of a memorable day. But taken out of context the same photo in a public forum frequented by non-hunters and anti-hunters can also be interpreted as hunters bragging about their kills. We've lost enough of our rights already without sticking our heads above the parapets even more. I don't personally mind if the voting public stays ignorant about what happens outside the towns and cities. It's when they start noticing I get worried. Putting hunt pics on forums like moochers is OK with me as if you are not pro-hunt then why look there. I expect to see dead animals on a hunting site.

Please Towzer I'm not taking a swipe at you personally, just a general observation.

Perhaps I'm being over-sensitive about upsetting the antis but I can no longer shoot a handgun, can't carry a decent knife on my person and can no longer buy an airgun by mail order. I don't want to have to muzzle my dogs in public because folks are offended by photos of dead vermin.

Hiding from the truth does no good ,you should be proud of what your dogs achieve in all forms. Its a lot easier to explain the death of a load of rabbits with dogs, than by gassing or mixy when i return home from a hunting trip pre ban local kids would rush round to see the the results.Dead hares pheasant or any other game the dogs had caught i would explain to Evey body the reasons why over time 99%except and under stand why, its this creeping about and trying to appease an ties witch lost us the right to hunt.So keep up the good work Towzer p.s your dogs are a credit to you. :thumbsup: :cheers:
Instead of seeing a good bag of rabbits as a necessary evil (pest control), we would be doing ourselves a favour by emphasizing the real end result- a load of healthy food for people and animals gone in the freezer. With the current fashion for 'country living'/ organic food, and so on, the large majority of people would accept this- it' s a lot easier than trying to explain that you are out lamping in the cold and rain at two in the morning because its in your blood to hunt with dogs- non hunting people will just think you are a nutter.

I think it is O.k. to have pictures like this on k9, but on a site like this, that is not dedicated to hunting, people need to be told why the photo is showing a good thing (over and over again).

More importantly, good work Towser- that 300 mile round trip shows a lot of dedication to getting your dog plenty of runs. Your saluki x looks superb and obviously does the business :thumbsup:

i couldnt agree more with all the replies on this subject,i beleave a lot of young adults visit these forums especially K9,most dont know what a lurcher is bred for they think to chase chase a plastic bag up a field on a hot weekend day :angry: well iam sorry to tell most its not,thats why when you are lucky enough to be able to catch a good haul of rabbits are the odd fox pre ban its done with a certain type of lurcher that isnt usually seen at these weekend events,so if the photos get a couple of people interested in real lurcher work instead of playing playstations,sittin on a computer are walkin the streets doin nothing then lets see more cause everytime i see a haul like that it makes me want to go out in the dark with the dogs,mark

Keep putting the pics up :thumbsup: At the end of the day you're showing 'PEST'control at its best.If it was a picture of dead rats and 2 terriers it would be quite acceptable by most folk. :) Karen

Apologies to Towzer for taking this thread off topic. In no way do I wish to detract from the achievements of anyone or even suggest that dogs shouldn't be used for sport or pest control.

I respect all the replies to my post. A couple of points in my defence and then I'll say no more on the subject.

We live in a media-driven celebrity-led culture. The antis are not responsible for the laws that ban certain types of hunting - ordinary people are. Politicians make decisions on what they believe is a vote winner. A few hunt saboteurs didn't get fox hunting with dogs banned - what did was media images kills being beamed into millions of homes, images that only show a tiny part of the whole process which when taken out of context are horrifying to many viewers/voters. Same story for pit bull/devil dogs.

Animal rights organisations like PETA are thriving because they have the endorsement of rock stars, actors and other celebrities. Just watch TV and see how the nation loves celebrities. Whole magazines devoted to what celebrities say and do.

Maybe a handful of kids might look at pest control photos and think a night on a cold wet moor looks more attractive than playstations but realistically unless beckham comes out and publicly says he'd rather be lamping then today's youth are more likely to side with Paul McCartney and his mates.

People in general are squeamish about anything to do with how meat is put on the table. I think they'd rather be kept in the dark than have too much reality. In the USA where hunting is very much a right in many states, certain types of hunting once taken for granted are now under threat. Manufacturers and hunting companies often distance themselves from too much blood in their marketing preferring to show live animals instead of dead ones. Tying dead deer to your car bonnet is no longer PC in the states.

Flooding the internet with hunting/pest control photos (an exaggeration but remember most stuff posted on the web hangs around in cyberspace for many many years) is IMHO more likely to contribute to having even more of our freedoms taken away as opposed to spreading understanding and acceptance. Photos/images have power which can be used against you.

As a country sports enthusiast I'd prefer to keep the public gaze off me as every time they take an interest I lose out bit by bit, year on year.

grendel said:
Apologies to Towzer for taking this thread off topic. In no way do I wish to detract from the achievements of anyone or even suggest that dogs shouldn't be used for sport or pest control.I respect all the replies to my post. A couple of points in my defence and then I'll say no more on the subject.

We live in a media-driven celebrity-led culture. The antis are not responsible for the laws that ban certain types of hunting - ordinary people are. Politicians make decisions on what they believe is a vote winner. A few hunt saboteurs didn't get fox hunting with dogs banned - what did was media images kills being beamed into millions of homes, images that only show a tiny part of the whole process which when taken out of context are horrifying to  many viewers/voters. Same story for pit bull/devil dogs.

Animal rights organisations like PETA are thriving because they have the endorsement of rock stars, actors and other celebrities. Just watch TV and see how the nation loves celebrities. Whole magazines devoted to what celebrities say and do.

Maybe a handful of kids might look at pest control photos and think a night on a cold wet moor looks more attractive than playstations but realistically unless beckham comes out and publicly says he'd rather be lamping then today's youth are more likely to side with Paul McCartney and his mates.

People in general are squeamish about anything to do with how meat is put on the table. I think they'd rather be kept in the dark than have too much reality. In the USA where hunting is very much a right in many states, certain types of hunting once taken for granted are now under threat. Manufacturers and hunting companies often distance themselves from too much blood in their marketing preferring to show live animals instead of dead ones. Tying dead deer to your car bonnet is no longer PC in the states.

Flooding the internet with hunting/pest control photos (an exaggeration but remember most stuff posted on the web hangs around in cyberspace for many many years) is  IMHO more likely to contribute to having even more of our freedoms taken away as opposed to spreading understanding and acceptance. Photos/images have power which can be used against you.

As a country sports enthusiast I'd prefer to keep the public gaze off me as every time they take an interest I lose out bit by bit, year on year.

excellant reply :thumbsup: but a few rabbits in front of a lurcher is not like a deer tied to the front of a car with more armour around it then the araqi army have,america always goes ott i think we should show what we hunt as long as its in the law and to me a lurcher with a few rabbits is proper hunting,mark

Have to grin at the idea of Beckham saying he'd rather be out lamping :teehee:

~Helen~ said:
Have to grin at the idea of Beckham saying he'd rather be out lamping :teehee:
well vinny jones does why not beckham :D :thumbsup: i know it wont happen he might get his boots dirty,mark

grendel said:
Apologies to Towzer for taking this thread off topic. In no way do I wish to detract from the achievements of anyone or even suggest that dogs shouldn't be used for sport or pest control.I respect all the replies to my post. A couple of points in my defence and then I'll say no more on the subject.

We live in a media-driven celebrity-led culture. The antis are not responsible for the laws that ban certain types of hunting - ordinary people are. Politicians make decisions on what they believe is a vote winner. A few hunt saboteurs didn't get fox hunting with dogs banned - what did was media images kills being beamed into millions of homes, images that only show a tiny part of the whole process which when taken out of context are horrifying to  many viewers/voters. Same story for pit bull/devil dogs.

Flooding the internet with hunting/pest control photos (an exaggeration but remember most stuff posted on the web hangs around in cyberspace for many many years) is  IMHO more likely to contribute to having even more of our freedoms taken away as opposed to spreading understanding and acceptance. Photos/images have power which can be used against you.

When someone new has navigated their way onto k9, its more than likely that to some extent, they are interested in running dogs and are aware that a characteristic is their hunting ability. This should prepare them for some discussion of hunting (although I accept that the antis could use discussion/ photos out of context, as ammunition).

With regard to where food comes from, people are squeamish, but at the same time, Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall et al. are big business now. Although such books and tv probably haven't caused many people to take up hunting, or even cut up a whole lamb, they have made the killing and eating of game much more widely accepted.

When seen from this point of view, I think the majority would find pictures of dead quarry acceptable, but it is vital to always remind that these rabbits will be used for food and are not just killed for the sake of it.

IF WE PUT PICTURES OF THE AMOUNT OF RABBITS WE CATCH IN A NIGHT

THE ANTIS WOULD HAVE A FEILD DAY

AND IF WE DON'T KEEP THE RABBITS DOWN, WE WOULD LOSE OUR PERMISSION.

TOM

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back