The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

A Neighbour Complained To The Dog Walden!

snapdogs

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
[SIZE=8pt]MY STEP DAUGHTER WORKS FOR THE LOCAL COUNCIL, SHE CAME HOME TONITE TO TELL US THAT SOMEONE HAS WRITTEN A LETTER TO THE COUNCIL COMPLAINING ABOUT OUR DOGS BARKING!!!!!! I AM SO PISSED OFF ABOUT IT.... WE HAVE HAD A BITCH IN SEASON, WITH 3 MALE DOGS IN THE HOUSE THERE WAS HOWLING ETC! BUT NOT ALL DAY, AND ONLY FOR A FEW DAYS.... OTHERWISE I HAVE NEVER HAD ANY COMPLAINTS ABOUT MY DOGS.... THEY TOLD THE DOG WALDEN I GO OUT TO WORK ALL DAY AND LEAVE THEM ALL..... I BLOODY WELL WISH THESE PEOPLE HAD THE GUTS TO COME AND KNOCK ON MY FRONT DOOR..... I DO NOT GO OUT TO WORK AND LEAVE MY DOGS ALL DAY. I WORK PART TIME, AND COME HOME LUNCH TIME I JUST HAVE ENOUGH TIME TO GRAB SOMETHING TO EAT, THEN RUSH BACK TO WORK FOR A FEW HOURS..... ANYHOW WHAT BUSINESS IS OF THEIRS... I JUST WISH I KNEW WHO IT WAS!!!!!! I AM LIVID.... MY DOGS ARE WELL LOOKED AFTER, THEY ALL LIVE IN THE HOUSE AND ARE IN EXCELLENT CONDITION... JESUS SOME PEOPLE, I HAVE HAD DOGS FOR ABOUT 30 YEARS. I DON'T KNOW IF I WANT TO SPEAK TO ANY OF MY NEIGHBOURS ANYMORE AFTER THIS![/SIZE] I WOULD LOVE TO PUT A BIG SIGN IN MY FRONT ROOM WINDOW TELLING THEM TO PI** OFF.... WHAT WOULD YOU DO........ NORMALLY YOU DON'T KNOW I HAVE A DOG IN THE HOUSE LET ALONE 5! I EVEN BROUGHT A BARK STOP.... WHICH WAS REALLY EXPENSIVE

Last edited by a moderator:
I can understand you are unhappy about it , I had the same thing happen to me a few years ago (w00t) in fact he complained TWICE about my dogs barking at night , At the time I lived alone and my dogs then. as now , mean the world to me and I had many sleepless nights listening for them to make a noise . plus the worry that I might lose them . :(

They cant do anything with out investicating their allegation , eg sitting outside your home and monitoring any noise etc

I DID know who had reported it and believe you me , that makes it worde `cos you wonder `WHY ` :eek: ( I did know why . cos Id told him his children had been rude, cheeky and threated to throw stones at my greenhouse (w00t) ), and this was his way of getting back at me :rant:

As long as you know yourself that your dogs are not causing a problem . I would calm down and feel sorry for the Ba :rant: d who has nothing better to do with their time :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
snapdogs said:
[SIZE=8pt]MY STEP DAUGHTER WORKS FOR THE LOCAL COUNCIL, SHE CAME HOME TONITE TO TELL US THAT SOMEONE HAS WRITTEN A LETTER TO THE COUNCIL COMPLAINING ABOUT OUR DOGS BARKING!!!!!! I AM SO PISSED OFF ABOUT IT....  WE HAVE HAD A BITCH IN SEASON, WITH 3 MALE DOGS IN THE HOUSE THERE WAS HOWLING ETC! BUT NOT ALL DAY, AND ONLY FOR A FEW DAYS.... OTHERWISE I HAVE NEVER HAD ANY COMPLAINTS ABOUT MY DOGS.... THEY TOLD THE DOG WALDEN I GO OUT TO WORK ALL DAY AND LEAVE THEM ALL..... I BLOODY WELL WISH THESE PEOPLE HAD THE GUTS TO COME AND KNOCK ON MY FRONT DOOR..... I DO NOT GO OUT TO WORK AND LEAVE MY DOGS ALL DAY. I WORK PART TIME, AND COME HOME LUNCH TIME I JUST HAVE ENOUGH TIME TO GRAB SOMETHING TO EAT, THEN RUSH BACK TO WORK FOR A FEW HOURS..... ANYHOW WHAT BUSINESS IS OF THEIRS... I JUST WISH I KNEW WHO IT WAS!!!!!! I AM LIVID.... MY DOGS ARE WELL LOOKED AFTER, THEY ALL LIVE IN THE HOUSE AND ARE IN EXCELLENT CONDITION... JESUS SOME PEOPLE, I HAVE HAD DOGS FOR ABOUT 30 YEARS. I DON'T KNOW IF I WANT TO SPEAK TO ANY OF MY NEIGHBOURS ANYMORE AFTER THIS![/SIZE] I WOULD LOVE TO PUT A BIG SIGN IN MY FRONT ROOM WINDOW TELLING THEM TO PI** OFF.... WHAT WOULD YOU DO........ NORMALLY YOU DON'T KNOW I HAVE A DOG IN THE HOUSE LET ALONE 5! I EVEN BROUGHT A BARK STOP.... WHICH WAS REALLY EXPENSIVE
i'm sorry but i have a dog next door that barks all day and i could ring it's neck and i have repeatedly spoken to the owner i have two whippets and the same as you have been a dog owner for 30 years it dosnt matter how well dogs are looked after if they are barking it is very annoying i think your being a bit onesided

masta said:
snapdogs said:
[SIZE=8pt]MY STEP DAUGHTER WORKS FOR THE LOCAL COUNCIL, SHE CAME HOME TONITE TO TELL US THAT SOMEONE HAS WRITTEN A LETTER TO THE COUNCIL COMPLAINING ABOUT OUR DOGS BARKING!!!!!! I AM SO PISSED OFF ABOUT IT....   WE HAVE HAD A BITCH IN SEASON, WITH 3 MALE DOGS IN THE HOUSE THERE WAS HOWLING ETC! BUT NOT ALL DAY, AND ONLY FOR A FEW DAYS.... OTHERWISE I HAVE NEVER HAD ANY COMPLAINTS ABOUT MY DOGS.... THEY TOLD THE DOG WALDEN I GO OUT TO WORK ALL DAY AND LEAVE THEM ALL..... I BLOODY WELL WISH THESE PEOPLE HAD THE GUTS TO COME AND KNOCK ON MY FRONT DOOR..... I DO NOT GO OUT TO WORK AND LEAVE MY DOGS ALL DAY. I WORK PART TIME, AND COME HOME LUNCH TIME I JUST HAVE ENOUGH TIME TO GRAB SOMETHING TO EAT, THEN RUSH BACK TO WORK FOR A FEW HOURS..... ANYHOW WHAT BUSINESS IS OF THEIRS... I JUST WISH I KNEW WHO IT WAS!!!!!! I AM LIVID.... MY DOGS ARE WELL LOOKED AFTER, THEY ALL LIVE IN THE HOUSE AND ARE IN EXCELLENT CONDITION... JESUS SOME PEOPLE, I HAVE HAD DOGS FOR ABOUT 30 YEARS. I DON'T KNOW IF I WANT TO SPEAK TO ANY OF MY NEIGHBOURS ANYMORE AFTER THIS![/SIZE] I WOULD LOVE TO PUT A BIG SIGN IN MY FRONT ROOM WINDOW TELLING THEM TO PI** OFF.... WHAT WOULD YOU DO........ NORMALLY YOU DON'T KNOW I HAVE A DOG IN THE HOUSE LET ALONE 5! I EVEN BROUGHT A BARK STOP.... WHICH WAS REALLY EXPENSIVE
i'm sorry but i have a dog next door that barks all day and i could ring it's neck and i have repeatedly spoken to the owner i have two whippets and the same as you have been a dog owner for 30 years it dosnt matter how well dogs are looked after if they are barking it is very annoying i think your being a bit onesided

I think it would have been a bit more neighbourly to snapdogs first before writing a letter to the council. I mean that is a bit excessive. I feel it would have been better for the neighbour to air their concerns before taking it to the council.

masta said:
snapdogs said:
[SIZE=8pt]MY STEP DAUGHTER WORKS FOR THE LOCAL COUNCIL, SHE CAME HOME TONITE TO TELL US THAT SOMEONE HAS WRITTEN A LETTER TO THE COUNCIL COMPLAINING ABOUT OUR DOGS BARKING!!!!!! I AM SO PISSED OFF ABOUT IT....   WE HAVE HAD A BITCH IN SEASON, WITH 3 MALE DOGS IN THE HOUSE THERE WAS HOWLING ETC! BUT NOT ALL DAY, AND ONLY FOR A FEW DAYS.... OTHERWISE I HAVE NEVER HAD ANY COMPLAINTS ABOUT MY DOGS.... THEY TOLD THE DOG WALDEN I GO OUT TO WORK ALL DAY AND LEAVE THEM ALL..... I BLOODY WELL WISH THESE PEOPLE HAD THE GUTS TO COME AND KNOCK ON MY FRONT DOOR..... I DO NOT GO OUT TO WORK AND LEAVE MY DOGS ALL DAY. I WORK PART TIME, AND COME HOME LUNCH TIME I JUST HAVE ENOUGH TIME TO GRAB SOMETHING TO EAT, THEN RUSH BACK TO WORK FOR A FEW HOURS..... ANYHOW WHAT BUSINESS IS OF THEIRS... I JUST WISH I KNEW WHO IT WAS!!!!!! I AM LIVID.... MY DOGS ARE WELL LOOKED AFTER, THEY ALL LIVE IN THE HOUSE AND ARE IN EXCELLENT CONDITION... JESUS SOME PEOPLE, I HAVE HAD DOGS FOR ABOUT 30 YEARS. I DON'T KNOW IF I WANT TO SPEAK TO ANY OF MY NEIGHBOURS ANYMORE AFTER THIS![/SIZE] I WOULD LOVE TO PUT A BIG SIGN IN MY FRONT ROOM WINDOW TELLING THEM TO PI** OFF.... WHAT WOULD YOU DO........ NORMALLY YOU DON'T KNOW I HAVE A DOG IN THE HOUSE LET ALONE 5! I EVEN BROUGHT A BARK STOP.... WHICH WAS REALLY EXPENSIVE

THIS IS WHY I SPENT A LOT OF MONEY ON A BARK STOP! TO STOP THEM BARKING, BUT THEY ONLY BARKED BECAUSE OF THE BITCH IN SEASON... THEY ARE NOT DOING IT ANY MORE.... IN FACT I BROUGHT MY BARK STOP OFF E BAY... THERE IS FEED BACK FROM PEOPLE WHO HAVE BROUGHT THEM BECAUSE OF NEIGHBOURS DOGS BARKING AND IT HAS STOPPED THEM, PERHAPS YOU COULD BUY ONE.... I DON'T THINK I AM THINKING OF THINGS ONESIDEDLY.... I'D HATE TO THINK THEY WERE CAUSING A NUSANCE, AND I KNOW NORMALLY THEY WOULD NOT DO THIS! THEY TOLD THE DOG WALDEN I AM NOW WORKING AND LEAVE MY DOGS ALL DAY.... IN FACT I HAVE BEEN AT UNIVERSITY FOR 15 MONTHS ANYWAY... BUT STILL DROVE 20 MILE RETURN JOURNEY LUNCH TIME TO LET THEM HAVE A ROMP IN THE GARDEN AND LUNCH TIME TREATS.... GETTING ONLY A QUICK SNACK ON MY RETURN JOURNEY BACK TO UNI! IT WON'T BE HAPPENING AGAIN ANYWAY... WE HAD NO ONE TO ASK TO TAKE IN OUR BITCH WHEN SHE WAS IN SEASON.... SO WE JUST HAD TO RIDE THE CREST OF THE WAVE... SHE IS BEING SPAYED IN 3 MONTHS TIME! MY HUSBAND WANTED A LITTER WITH HER, BUT WE CAN'T CHANCE THIS ALL HAPPENING AGAIN!

I'm not 100% sure Dawn but I think the Havant dog-warden owns a whippet. If she's the one I'm thinking of I think she has had whippets for a while. It's got to be worth talking to her I think she would understand.

Hope it all works out for you.

Jenny

When I had a complaint about noise I went around to all the neighbours. The complaint came via a note through the door rather than the dog warden. I went to everyone in my street and the street behind me and asked them if they had a problem? As it happens there were dogs barking all over the estate all day. It appeared that mine barked for about 10 minutes after I left for work but were no problem after that.

It is a real worry. I had someone pose as an RSPCA trying to gain access to my property via my neigbours.

I moved shortly afterwards so dont go and live in Towcester they are weird (w00t)

snapdogs said:
masta said:
snapdogs said:

THIS IS WHY I SPENT A LOT OF MONEY ON A BARK STOP! TO STOP THEM BARKING, BUT THEY ONLY BARKED BECAUSE OF THE BITCH IN SEASON... THEY ARE NOT DOING IT ANY MORE.... IN FACT I BROUGHT MY BARK STOP OFF E BAY... THERE IS FEED BACK FROM PEOPLE WHO HAVE BROUGHT THEM BECAUSE OF NEIGHBOURS DOGS BARKING AND IT HAS STOPPED THEM, PERHAPS YOU COULD BUY ONE.... I DON'T THINK I AM THINKING OF THINGS ONESIDEDLY.... I'D HATE TO THINK THEY WERE CAUSING A NUSANCE, AND I KNOW NORMALLY THEY WOULD NOT DO THIS! THEY TOLD THE DOG WALDEN I AM NOW WORKING AND LEAVE MY DOGS ALL DAY.... IN FACT I HAVE BEEN AT UNIVERSITY FOR 15 MONTHS ANYWAY... BUT STILL DROVE 20 MILE RETURN JOURNEY LUNCH TIME TO LET THEM HAVE A ROMP IN THE GARDEN AND LUNCH TIME TREATS.... GETTING ONLY A QUICK SNACK ON MY RETURN JOURNEY BACK TO UNI! IT WON'T BE HAPPENING AGAIN ANYWAY... WE HAD NO ONE TO ASK TO TAKE IN OUR BITCH WHEN SHE WAS IN SEASON.... SO WE JUST HAD TO RIDE THE CREST OF THE WAVE... SHE IS BEING SPAYED IN 3 MONTHS TIME! MY HUSBAND WANTED A LITTER WITH HER, BUT WE CAN'T CHANCE THIS ALL HAPPENING AGAIN!

I wasnt having a go, i was trying to put over the over side i work from home and the dog next door barks constantly when i speak to clients on the phone they carnt believe the noise and ask if i have reported it. i wouldnt because as a dog owner/lover i no how distressing that would be(i have spoken to the owner a breeder and judge of westies many times with no joy) but and it is a big but! i can also tell you listening to constant barking is bloody chinese torture especialy if your trying to run a business i'm sure things will settle once she comes through her season

I've been through this twice and although I was desperately upset each time nothing ever came of it. The dog warden was lovely and very understanding and was surprised that anyone could complain about whippets and greyhounds! There was an underlying reason why the neighbours' concerned complained and it had nothing to do with my dogs barking! :rant: When the dog warden asked them how long the dogs barked for they said 10 minutes - he all but laughed in their faces!! :D

Fortunately for me, one set of neighbours is now moving... :- "

Like you I don't like excessive barking and do stop them if they get over excited. I also know exactly how you feel! :huggles: :huggles:

At our old house we got a complaint about Chloe barking - we received a letter from the council. We don't know who made the complaint. We had let her play in the garden one afternoon when we were both working (it was a lovely summer day) and it stemmed from that - one day!!!!!!!!

I was so mad that they didn't just come round and tell us. I rang the council up and explained everything to them and they were very understanding. They had told the complainant to keep a log of the barking for 6 weeks before anything else would be done.

Funnily enough, during that 6 week period we went on holiday for 2 weeks and Chloe went to kennels miles away from our house. The lying ba :rant: ds, put on there records that she had been barking during the time we were on holiday - so they were caught out as liars!!

It is very upseting as we just do not have a control over our dogs when we are not at home. And it is normal for dogs to behave differently when ther is nobody to tell them to be quite. I am very strict with mine as i do understand perfectly how enoying barking dog can be. Recently, for about 18 months until few months ago i had people living next door with 2 dogs so noisy that i completely stopped using my garden. These dogs barked continuesly anyway, but if any of us, human or animal put a foot outside they would go absolutely beserk, tearing at the fence.

One day, absolutely desparate lady knocked on my door and told me would i please do something with my dogs. At that point my girls stood next to me not making a sound. However the dogs next door barked as usually. Anyway, it took bit of a persvasion, and in the end taking her into my garden and leting her see for herself that they are not in my backyard, to accept they are not mine. She lived in the street behind us somewhere and was really at the end of her tether. And I do not blame her, I was finding it hard to deal with even that my house is double brick and i spent most of my time in the part away from the noice.

Of-course, it would be better if people come to talk to you first. I did that on couple of occasions when i had a problem with neighbor's dogs, like the GSDs kept loose and charging at my friends coming to visit me. Instead trying to control the dogs these people just abused me and when finally other people in the street complained to the authorities, the owner blamed me and threatened my dogs. So, i would think twice about aproaching anybody again. :(

jok said:
At our old house we got a complaint about Chloe barking - we received a letter from the council.  We don't know who made the complaint.  We had let her play in the garden one afternoon when we were both working (it was a lovely summer day) and it stemmed from that - one day!!!!!!!!
I was so mad that they didn't just come round and tell us.  I rang the council up and explained everything to them and they were very understanding.  They had told the complainant to keep a log of the barking for 6 weeks before anything else would be done.

Funnily enough, during that 6 week period we went on holiday for 2 weeks and Chloe went to kennels miles away from our house.  The lying ba :rant: ds, put on there records that she had been barking during the time we were on holiday - so they were caught out as liars!!

Love it :oops: Jo ;)

Same thing happened here , he had to keep a log for 6 weeks , I did have a word with him when we met up at the local shops , seemed his wife was also suffering with depression ( not surprised living with him :oops: :- " ) They are all ok now , maybe its because Im not a `single `woman anymore ;)

The most noise my dogs make at night is the odd `sing ` for about 15 secs ( yes i count it ) or if there is a fox about , . Even then Ive put a curtain up at their window so they cant see it :wacko: :lol:

I have neighbours the other side of him who have 4 border collies . who bark far more than mine every had , but hes a car mechanic and servises tw*t faces car :- "

Good grief - if folks can't put up with a bit of barking for just a few days :rant:

i mean, really!

my dog barks in the garden for well..........3 or 4 barks worth when he sees a squirrel or pigeon in the tree.... he'll do this a few times over for the 5 mins he's out on his own for a morning wee. and that's it!

i saw my neighbour this morning and just checked, and he confirmed that Digit never barks during the day - so i think his little march round his ramparts in the morning is totally justifyable.

Those of us who live in built up areas need to learn to give and take - my dog barks occasionally, other people have loud late parties occasionally. they put up with mine, i put up withh theirs.

A once in a blue moon spate of barking from three boys in hot persuit of a hot lady sounds like the kind of thing your neighbours should just be tolerating snapdogs

as i'm sure you put up with little things that they do

chin up :D

Its so difficult isn't :( . I know that one of my girls cries pitifully when I go out during the day (only to the shops or gym, otherwise they come too), I know this becuase a very nice neighbour came round for a coffee and 'happened' to mention it. She was so nice about it, and loves my dogs, she just feels sorry for who ever it is who is crying. However I feel incredibly guilty about it, but I really don't know what to do about it.

if you find out who it was tell them to go get a life some people have such boring lives they are only happy when they are upsetting other people :rant: .

jok said:
At our old house we got a complaint about Chloe barking - we received a letter from the council.  We don't know who made the complaint.  We had let her play in the garden one afternoon when we were both working (it was a lovely summer day) and it stemmed from that - one day!!!!!!!!
I was so mad that they didn't just come round and tell us.  I rang the council up and explained everything to them and they were very understanding.  They had told the complainant to keep a log of the barking for 6 weeks before anything else would be done.

Funnily enough, during that 6 week period we went on holiday for 2 weeks and Chloe went to kennels miles away from our house.  The lying ba :rant: ds, put on there records that she had been barking during the time we were on holiday - so they were caught out as liars!!

GOOD FOR YOU!

mtotos said:
if you find out who it was tell them to go get a life  some people have such boring lives they are only happy when they are upsetting other people :rant: .

But if its excessive it can affect peoples lifes....

I have told my neighbours if they hear my dogs barking or being to noisy to let me know...they are having a baby soon so said it may get noisy at night so a bit of give and take, us while their baby settles down and thim while our dogs settle into there outside cage

Kim and Tilly said:
mtotos said:
if you find out who it was tell them to go get a life  some people have such boring lives they are only happy when they are upsetting other people :rant: .

But if its excessive it can affect peoples lifes....

I have told my neighbours if they hear my dogs barking or being to noisy to let me know...they are having a baby soon so said it may get noisy at night so a bit of give and take, us while their baby settles down and thim while our dogs settle into there outside cage

When I first read that , I thoought youd said the baby was going in an outside cage !! (w00t) :oops: :lol: :- "

When we frist got Zeb we were not sure if he would bark when we were out so we asked the neighbours to listen for him barking (he did bark alot)

they know answer (when asked) that he only barks samtimes and that its not a problem, but it still worries me that sameone may call the DW. :(

hello guys,

i am so sorry you are having all this trouble. I had exactly the same thing last year as a result of my divorce and my nasty neighbour complained and said he was going to take me to court etc etc. I phoned the local dog warden who was superb, and even hough the neighbour had kept a disturbingly wierd diary of my movements (creepy or what) the compalint nuisance can ONLY be taken FROM the moment of complaint onwards, so any barking done in the past does not count. IF the dog warden recieves a complaint then they visit you and the dogs at home to see what the issue is about, in my case they were quite knowledgeable and sympathetic and said that if there had been a divorce and pack (ie me and my ex) disturbances then it would take the dogs a period of 6 months to readjust and this would be taken into account. They also said that a diary would need to be kept by my neighbour (and myself) and if push came to shove before anything was done they would record the dogs voices individually and leave recording equipment at the house to see who was barking, establish patterns and try to find a cause/cure. Rehoming or confiscation is abvsolutely their last resort as most dog wardens are devoted dog lovers and are in it to help the dogs.

Having said that i was under medication and was bullied by my neighbour so i did reluctantly ( understatement of the year) rehome two of my five dogs. Picking who it was to be was the worst thing i have ever done. The warden was fab and swiftly helped sort out a place at NCDL and i took them last July. I hated every moment but thats nothing to the hate i feel for that ******* next door. I now have my remaining 3 who were traumatised by the loss of their mates, one bitch had chronic depression and the pack changed into a defensive sensitive reactive group which has taken a long time to steele. Especially as if one of them so much as sniffs the air loudly we get comments and sometimes scxreaming from the pllock next door. I can only hope that he shouts really loudly and pops an artery!

Now i am back on track and up to full mental function i will not be intimidated and ignore him, the dogs live indoors so barking is minimised to hadly any at all.......... sorry gone on a bit, but dont dispair, talk to the warden, i found them to be very helpful. By approaching them first for advice before a complaint has a chance to be made puts them onto your side and shows you are being responsible and "caring" towards your neighbours ... even if on the quiet you`d rather be strangling them!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back