The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

A Question About Working/racing Whippets

Lakey

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I currently have a whippet pup that is 5 months old. I bought her with the intension of just working her and as such I am training her accordingly.

I've thought about giving her ago at racing/lure coursing but I am a little worried that getting my whippet pup to want to chase a plastic bag will spoil her working temperment.

So my question to you is can they do both efectively or should I just stick to one or the other. I would love to here all your views :cheers:

Regards..........Lakey

Lakey said:
I currently have a whippet pup that is 5 months old. I bought her with the intension of just working her and as such I am training her accordingly.
I've thought about giving her ago at racing/lure coursing but I am a little worried that getting my whippet pup to want to chase a plastic bag will spoil her  working temperment.

So my question to you is can they do both efectively or should I just stick to one or the other. I would love to here all your views  :cheers:

Regards..........Lakey

My personal opinion is that they can do both!

Greeny's dog Photo Finish has done really well both racing and coursing! :thumbsup:

Mine chase a plastic bag at racing and lure coursing Lakey but I know for a fact that if they saw a bunny they wouldn't watch it run past (w00t)

Come on give em a go you know you want to :thumbsup: and I want to see polly I haven't met her yet :- "

iv done bothe m8 coursed and raced a dog thats wot they bred for good luck with the pup

Hi all ,I have found that my bitches that have run live hares are not so keen to chase the lure ,so this year i kept a pup back just for the lure ,and she only knows the lure ,she has run at two meetings this season.First meeting she got to the semi of a 16 dog stake , and the last meeting she was very unlucky in the final against Lamping mans very good little bitch , depends on the dog at the end of the day,Roll on the puppy cup on the 21st Jan we will see if she can go one better , All the best Corky, ( Thats my Opinion)

Lakey said:
I've thought about giving her ago at racing/lure coursing but I am a little worried that getting my whippet pup to want to chase a plastic bag will spoil her  working temperment.
I wouldn't worry, they are bright dogs and know the difference and will always prefer the real thing when given the chance!!!

I started mine on live first, then did a year of racing from the age of 2. It seems to be a worse problem the other way round; if you only ever race, then they can get 'programmed' to a particular distance, and give up on bends or if the track or course is too long; I've seen it a few times with some racing whips at the greyhound track.

We're now doing very well at lurecoursing, to be honest if it moves he'll chase it as far as it goes, and the plastic bags and stuffed bunnies over a variety of distances and terrains keeps him nice and fit for the real thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've thought about giving her ago at racing/lure coursing but I am a little worried that getting my whippet pup to want to chase a plastic bag will spoil her working temperment.

She'll be fine .......All Whippets prefer the real thing .......The problem would be if you wanted her solely to race and she'd been on live (depending on the dog that is) ........

Paul Cork said:
Hi all ,I have found that my bitches that have run live hares are not so keen to chase the lure ,so this year i kept a pup back just for the lure ,and she only knows the lure ,she has run at two meetings this season.First meeting she got to the semi of a 16 dog stake , and the last meeting she was very unlucky in the final against Lamping mans very good little bitch , depends on the dog at the end of the day,Roll on the puppy cup on the 21st Jan we will see if she can go one better , All the best Corky, ( Thats my Opinion)
You got the draw for Saturday Paul? If you have please could you PM me it?

Cheers! :thumbsup:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back