The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

A Question From Hubby

kim & Tilly

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
[SIZE=14pt] Ok Hubby is convinced :unsure: :wacko: that if you feed raw chicken wings to a dog then the raw chicken will get on the dogs paws and then be walked into the house or if the kids play with her they will catch some deadly raw chicken disease... :x :blink: :- " [/SIZE]

So to either put his mind at rest (w00t) or show what a fool I am, :- " is there any risk at all from catching something from your dog after you have given it raw chicken??? :teehee:

Please let me know :thumbsup: :p

Can't answer for anyone else, but my dogs don't actually touch the chicken with their paws. All four paws are on the ground, and they chomp and crunch with just jaw. And I let mine eat their in or out of the house - there's never a trace of it left, and with a reasonable standard of hygeine (presumably your kids wash their hands regularly, especially before they eat their own food) I don't imagine there's much risk of catching anything :blink:

Have to agree with Helen although I have stopped giving mine them for a while because not only did they not touch them with their paws but thry practically swallowed them whole (w00t) a wide majority of people on here feed raw chicken and I have never personally read of any poisoning or the like so I think your kids will be fine, I always wash my own hands and anything else which has come into contact with raw chicken as a precautionary measure anyway :thumbsup:

Speaking as one who most likely poisoned herself through not being careful enough about washing her hands when feeding her dogs chicken wings it can happen. But I was handling the wings.

Some of my dogs do put the wings down on their bedding to eat them so I suppose that the bedding could become contaminated. (w00t) And when they are eating the wings then they do touch their paws and lower legs. Depends on how the dogs eat them I think. Not a part touchs anything other than the inside of Mouse's mouse for example, two or three chomps and the wing is swallowed. But with most of my dogs if I think about seeing them eat their wings then yes bits of the wings do touch the bedding and their legs and the wings do move and touch the sides of their muzzles.

I don't have children so I've never thought about it. It's not such a silly question as it first appears to be.

They don't hold them between their paws like they would if they ate something like a rib bone or marrow bone.

Haven't a clue how much of a health risk it would be though.

This is going to sound silly................BUT is it safe to feed chicken bones to dogs?

I had always been led to believe it was'nt, but I am going back a good while here,maybe things have changed.

Also my dogs wont eat ANY meat unless it is cooked??? Is this normal???????????

Because of the intensive rearing of chickens for food production they aren't very old before they are killed these days. So the bones aren't that brittle they are still fairly soft. Well that's what I've read in the BARF books/web sites.

Which is why it's safe to feed them raw but not cooked. Cooking makes them brittle.

I've had dogs that won't eat raw chicken wings. My cats never would either. :(

Tally my deerhound won't eat raw tripe which is a shame as he could do with putting on weight and that does it so well.

I know that on a US sighthound list I'm on two vets on there wouldn't BARF feed because of the number of dogs that they had to perform life saving ops on to remove compacted bone from dogs. But I've never heard of this happening to any of my friends dogs who BARF feed.

Again with the risk of looking stupid .........what is BARF diet?? :b

05whippet said:
Again with the risk of looking stupid .........what is BARF diet??  :b
BARF is an abbreviation of bone and raw flesh, you can buy it from most pet shops and it is just what it says on the packet, basicaly raw minced meat. i used to feed my pups on this stuff until i got my own mincer. you can buy it in all sorts of variaties like chicken, beef an tripe, game. it only costs a few pounds which is round about what you would pay from the butcher for the same stuff. you can feed it raw or boil it up, but beware... dont cook the tripe in the house because it STINKS.

quote...Also my dogs wont eat ANY meat unless it is cooked??? Is this normal???????????

why worry about feeding raw chicken then if they dont eat raw meat?????

Last edited by a moderator:
ALEC01 said:
quote...Also my dogs wont eat ANY meat unless it is cooked??? Is this normal???????????

I was,nt worried about feeding RAW chicken,I was concerned about feeding chicken bones and in my case they would've had to be cooked as mentioned mine wont eat raw flesh.

But thank you to Beejay for clarifying this for me regarding NOT feeding them cooked!!

ALECO1..........I was only asking as I did,nt know

Hi o5whippet the best thing to do is ask quetions if your not sure, most people on hear do give sound advice and help. Keep asking. :))

Bones And Raw Food. (BARF)

A typical BARF diet would consist of meaty bones. The bones, gristle and sinews are very important. Fed with pulverised raw veggies. As well as this routinely - not every day - the dogs would be fed eggs, yoghurt, offal some people as well supplement the diet with vitamins, minerals and oils. The idea of it is to try to supply the dogs with as close a diet as possible to what they would eat if they were wild dogs. So the diet can be unbalanced on a day to day basis but must be balanced over a couple of weeks.

Some people will also feed a good quality wholemeal biscuit. But other people believe that a dog wouldn't naturally eat cereals so don't feed those.

Because of the importance of feeding bones, gristle and sinews rather than pure meat, chicken wings are ideal. For larger dogs chicken carcasses are fed and also turkey necks. The emphasis is not on meat but on some meat +. It has been proven that pups raised on steak for example can have long bone development problems.

BARF feeders believe that feeding this way they'll ensure that their dogs are healthy and develop and grow properly. They believe that complete foods can lead to dogs developing skin complaints and other health issues some of which are life threatening. Also the complete puppy foods cause puppies to grow too quickly too soon and thus not properly. Something which I think has been proven with feeding giant breed puppies complete puppy foods. Now most Giant breed pups if fed on a complete food are fed either adult or junior or the more recently developed giant puppy foods.

Also feeding bones to young pups is good as the action of chewing helps them exercise the muscles in their necks and chests which is also good for their development. If you watch a dog chewing on a bone they move their bodies whilst doing so. Then of course there is the psychological needs of the dog. AND the fact that feeding bones means nice clean teeth. :thumbsup:

The minced pet foods that we buy contain ground up bones, gristle etc too. So the bones are still in there. But you lose the physical and psychological effects of feeding intact bones.

:thumbsup: Thank - You Beejay I've found this makes for very interesting reading

Also went onto the FAQ regarding feeding,so it's nice to be informed about things :thumbsup: The way dogs are now fed has changed so much over the years,first it was raw meat (greyhound & lurcher men especially Plummer were reknowned for this) then that was frowned upon and it was tinned meat with mixer,then that was changed to dried extruded kibble and now we've gone full circle back to raw flesh again with veg.

As said all very interesting :D

05whippet said:
ALEC01 said:

I was,nt worried about feeding RAW chicken,I was concerned about feeding chicken bones and in my case they would've had to be cooked as mentioned mine wont eat raw flesh.

But thank you to Beejay for clarifying this for me regarding NOT feeding them cooked!!

ALECO1..........I was only asking as I did,nt know

05whippet, i wasnt trying to sound sarcastic i must have misread the post.

Have any of you guys tried A food Called "Australian Formula" it is a Greyhound Feed that is far and away the best in my opinion.There is no need to feed any supplements with this feed.Although i do like to give my dogs including the missus,s Whippet bones at least once a week as this helps keep their teeth healthy.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back