The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

A Whippet As A Family Pet

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
kitty said:
It's not so easy to get a whippet rescue, rae.. there  is a waiting list. I dont know how long it'll be before those dogs in the link are  ready to be rehomed. I think I am a bit low on the list, too, because I am not experienced and dont have a dog already.
Anyway, it's really good to hear your whippety stories of how your dogs fit into your family life.

there are often collie x whippets coming up for rehoming. presumably you  have a totally different temperament to deal with then... anyone know about this mixture?

(is it sacriledge to talk about whippet x's here... ;) )

Well, I went to Battersea Dogs Home on the weekend. They are coming to do a home check, hopefully this week. So we shall see.

I guess that the whippet x question really IS sacriledge here..... :- "

kitty said:
I guess that the whippet x question really IS sacriledge here..... :- "
Of-course it isn't! A lot of us have whippet crosses of one sort or another. :thumbsup: I can't remember what my avatar pic is :wacko: but if it's white with brindle patches then it's my Oliver, and he's a whippet x terrier. :wub: :wub:

Good luck with whatever dog you get. :luck: :luck:

Well I hope it isn't sacrilige as I ONLY have whippet crosses (though you'd be hard pushed to tell with two of them). One of them is a 3/4 whippet, 1/8 grey and 1/8 bearded collie- so is sort of the collie cross you are talking about, and one of them no-one can tell isn't a whippet (at least a non-ped), sooooooooo- on the temperament front, yes the beardie cross is very different. She had an awful strart in life so that affects her temperament, but appart from that she is much more active than the others- much less inclined to sleep between runs and when she is calm enough (she is very easily scared due to her back ground) for training I think she's sharper and less inclined to say that she's not in the mood for it than whippets.

I have added a photo to show you some whippet crosses. The little smooth coated black one is 3/4 whippet, 1/8 grey and 1/8 beddlington. The white one is 1/2 whippet and 1/2 greyhound and the hairy one is the beardie cross. The little one is 19" tall and the others are 22" tall. The bigger ones are both rescues and are turning into fantastic little dogs, but both were very hard work to start with, imo worse than a puppy.

I think that as far as temperament goes it is important to find out as much as possible from the rescue center- what has happened in their past can really affect their temperament, and I knew that the hairy one was going to be a difficult case as he hadn't lived in a house and hadn't really had much human contact before the rescue got her.

GOOD LUCK with finding a lovely companion :luck:

Family_group.JPG

OEH said:
Well I hope it isn't sacrilige as I ONLY have whippet crosses (though you'd be hard pushed to tell with two of them).  One of them is a 3/4 whippet, 1/8 grey and 1/8 bearded collie- so is sort of the collie cross you are talking about, and one of them no-one can tell isn't a whippet (at least a non-ped), sooooooooo- on the temperament front, yes the beardie cross is very different.  She had an awful strart in life so that affects her temperament, but appart from that she is much more active than the others- much less inclined to sleep between runs and when she is calm enough (she is very easily scared due to her back ground) for training I think she's sharper and less inclined to say that she's not in the mood for it than whippets. I have added a photo to show you some whippet crosses.  The little smooth coated black one is 3/4 whippet, 1/8 grey and 1/8 beddlington.  The white one is 1/2 whippet and 1/2 greyhound and the hairy one is the beardie cross.  The little one is 19" tall and the others are 22" tall.  The bigger ones are both rescues and are turning into fantastic little dogs, but both were very hard work to start with, imo worse than a puppy. 

I think that as far as temperament goes it is important to find out as much as possible from the rescue center- what has happened in their past can really affect their temperament, and I knew that the hairy one was going to be a difficult case as he hadn't lived in a house and hadn't really had much human contact before the rescue got her.

GOOD LUCK with finding a lovely companion  :luck:

Thanks everyone, and particularly to OEH for showing me your lovely dogs and explaining to me about the whippet x thing. I have a love of collies, but I cant give a collie what it needs, living in London, but am tempted by getting a dog with a BIT of collie in it...

you dont see a lot of whippet x's though.. or at least, I am not looking in the right places... have seen lots of lurchers x collie.. but that is a much bigger dog to be dealing with.

Impressed OEh with your dogs and your skill at sorting out a rescue dog who hadnt lived in a home before. Must be VERY rewarding. good job! :thumbsup:

Please don't think i'm being "funny" here ........but what make's you think a Whippet or collie x will be easier than a straight forward collie ?? .........I have 2 pedigree Whippet's that are sooooo much more demanding than my farm bred Border Collie, (who's competed at obedience and was well on the way to being a good agility dog)........Both Whippet girls really NEED constant training, boundrie's, working etc ............Also the last Whippet x Collie I fostered was barking mad who's idea of a good time was to kill anything that moved (other than humans or other dogs)........even after 3 years of constant training and channeling ....... :luck: :luck: in your search

Strike Whippets! I dont think at all you are "being funny"... you are just telling me that I am probably wrong. Which I'm not surprised to hear!

The only basis I have for thinking whippets are 'easier' to have in an urban environment than a collie, is because of what whippet owners and collie owners have told me. i dont have any experience of my own to call upon.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back