The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

About to take the plunge.... all advice welcome!

Katalyst

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi there!

So... afer 10 years of saying "one day...." I am going to look at a dog on thursday. Now... he may well end up not being right for me but this is a major step and has been a long time coming.

So.... basically, I am looking at lurchers. I particularly love the look of saluki crosses so have been aiming in that direction.

I work as a zoo keeper/animal technician/teacher at a college sited on enormous and beautiful grounds ranging from arable land to woodland. I have my name put down for a staff kennel already and only work until 5pm with an hours break which is usually spent mooching around the grounds anyway.

My brother and his fair lady live with me and work different shifts which means puppy will very rarely be alone. My mother works in a vet surgery and puppy can spent time there too. So although I work, I don't think it'll be an issue especially as pup will be able to come with me once he's ready.

So my questions.... brace yourselves for the essay....

I have done a lot of reading but as always, the advice is broad and conflicting.

I and am aware of salukis' selective hearing and that they can be a bit difficult to teach reliable recall. All advice and suggestions from saluki lurcher owners is appreciated. What works and what doesn't?

The pup I am going to look at is being fed on CSJ puppy food. Obviously should I choose him, he will remain on this in the interim but is this a good enough quality food for the long term? If not, suggestions please!

I intend to do a partially raw diet. At what age do I need to start introducing raw food and is it best to avoid rich bits like liver initially or is it a case of everything in moderation? I am always banging on about the importance of a varied diet but I don't want to risk adding too much in too quickly and upsetting his tummy.

Basic training: I have read and read but again, I would appreciate suggestions from people who own saluki crosses.

Insurance... who is worth the dosh and who is best avoided?

Any hints or tips are appreciated enormously. I have spent my entire working life around animals of all shapes and sizes (so routine, constant husbandry etc isn't a concern for me) and have done some training in basic dog grooming and done plenty of dog walking but I have never owned my own dog so this is as daunting as it is exciting. Mostly, I don't want to balls it up and then spend months rectifying a problem I have unwittingly created.

The pup I am going to look at on thursday is a saluki grey hound cross of 12 weeks. He has had jabs and been wormed and deflead. I will be asking a metric butt-ton of other questions when I meet him no doubt!

Thanks in advance for your help everyone.

Kat

Last edited by a moderator:
First I have never had a Saluki cross but as you, have always thought they were lovely. Now sight hounds often do have selective hearing, (I call it occupational deafness, when they are occupied they are deaf). But if you make its recall enjoyable and start as soon as possible its quite possible to have a reasonable recall. I know more about Whippets and the big difference is Whippets are short distance sprinters but Salukis have far more stamina. Also don't forget to keep them both happy and healthy they do really need to be able to run so you will have to find a suitable safe area to let it. The good news though is in common with most sight hounds they are really couch potatoes, when nothing is happening they are relaxed somewhere comfortable.

That's excellent, thank you. I literally live with in sight of a woodland and a park and am about a 5 minute walk from miles of fields. Off lead runnig time shouldn't be a problem.

I am off to look at him on thursday so will let you know what the outcome is :)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back