The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Acid reflux and tummy upsets.

gspmad

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi all. My four year old gsp has always been prone to being sick! (Acid reflux) Recently she has been to the vets because she had sickness and diarrhoea. There was blood in her bile and in her bowel movements! The vet prescribed the human meds Zantac. This with a bland diet made her much better. What I’m asking is for some suggestions of probiotics or holistic treatment I can give her to alleviate her symptoms and maybe avoid a trip to the vets. Thanks

@JoanneF Raw Green Tripe contains high amounts of lactobacillus acidophilus, a healthy probiotic, so yes @gspmad you could use raw green tripe.

Lintbells YuDIGEST PLUS Digestive Health Supplement For Dogs (Pets at home sell this). Also you could have a consultation with your vet to see if they can give your dog antibiotics or the other option could be surgery.

It's not something I've looked into but yes, it does contain probiotics. It's also an excellent food in general and very gentle on the stomach, and is recommended in a number of places for acid reflux in dogs. HOWEVER I wouldn't recommend trying anything like this without the go-ahead from your vet - at least check with them that it won't do any harm to give it a try.

It's not something I've looked into but yes, it does contain probiotics. It's also an excellent food in general and very gentle on the stomach, and is recommended in a number of places for acid reflux in dogs. HOWEVER I wouldn't recommend trying anything like this without the go-ahead from your vet - at least check with them that it won't do any harm to give it a try.
were would you buy raw green tripe from? I'm wondering because a friends dog has acid reflux.

were would you buy raw green tripe from? I'm wondering because a friends dog has acid reflux.

A raw dog meat supplier would probably be your best bet. I feed it in a chicken mince mix occasionally - my supplier does sometimes sell 100% tripe but it's just too stinky!

A raw dog meat supplier would probably be your best bet. I feed it in a chicken mince mix occasionally - my supplier does sometimes sell 100% tripe but it's just too stinky!
okay thank you, much appreciated.

As already mentioned by JoanneF and JudyN. Wet green tripe has good natural probiotic properties, it is a good all round healthy product for our dogs to eat. However, it smells really BAD !!!:eek::eek::eek: PHEW!
I am sure though that the smell, however unpleasant to us, must be worth a try especially if it saves on expensive vet bills. If it does not work, at least it will have done no harm.

There are raw meat suppliers, some with wetter products than others, depending on where in the country you or they are.
"Bulmer's" feeds have lovely wet products but from their main depot you have to order a minimum of 150lbs for delivery. Down here in the south there is a supplier who sells smaller amounts of their products!
"Landywoods" used to supply quiet nice wet products (always worth a try).

I have recently been given a load of fresh deer tripe, I have bagged each one up and put them in the freezer (dog freezer), Mmmm lovely :rolleyes: lucky doggies.

@excuseme, what do you mean by 'wet' products (as opposed to other types of raw)? It's not a term I've come across before.

"Wet", has not been squeezed, and the natural juices have not been squeezed out from the product. It has been minced or can be found in chunks. (it is juicy and wetter! more like it has just come from the abattoir)
Unlike some pre made raw products that can be found in compact blocks or as a crumbly mince.
Please don't misunderstand me, (there is no way I am saying that pre made raw is no good, it is a lovely product, pleasant/easy to use) my puppies are eating this now.

I don't mean to confuse anyone, I will stop using the word "wet".

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back