The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Advice For A Nervous Wreck.....

Bill_J

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi all,

We have two fantastic whippets (boy & girl) and are totally addicted to them! We decided to let them have one litter of pups, purely so we can keep a pup and two other members of our family have expressed a wish to have one.

Yesterday our girl, Nelly, gave birth to 7 beautiful pups!! We are totally in love with them (already) and my wife has already expressed concerns about letting them move on to new homes when they're ready! There will be tears ahead...no doubt!

A a new mum, Nelly, has handled everything fantastically well and all 7 pups look to be content and feeding well. It's my wife and I that are the nervous wrecks! This is the first litter (and possibly the last) either of us has had the joy to be involved with.

Nelly is parti colour - fawn and white. The father is black. The pups are 5 x Black with white chests and 2 x grey/silver with white chests. I'll post photos of the pups in a few days.

This a quick question about keeping our dog away from Nelly.......obviously we've kept him away from her since the pups were born but at what stage should we introduce him to the pups? My instincts tell me to wait until the pups are weaned and out 'investigating' their surroundings. Any advice?

Welcome to K9 Bill J - and Congratulations on your puppies :cheers:

No advice sorry as Ive never bred dogs before - but Good luck :luck: with them and Look forward to your pictures. :thumbsup:

hI

IVE A LTTER AT 6 WEEKS AT THE MOMENT , SEE WHIPS GEN , WHO WANTS A BET , MARK TWO FOR PICCYS

My males really dont like the pups around them at all :- " ,but Ive known other people whose males have even gone in the `nest ` with them (w00t) , the best thing to do is see how he reacts to them , Not just yet obviously , maybe when they are up and running ( about 3/4 weeks ) . Some of my other `girls ` like to have a bit of interactive with them and some are totally freaked out by them Even if they have had pups of their own ,

All dogs are differant , as we humans are ;) I dont like babies at any cost :- " much prefering animals , whatever species ;) .

You will have to play it `by ear ` and also see how `mum `reacts too .

Look forward to seeing some pics , what is the pedigree of the parents too , always makes for interesting reading you know :cheers:

and Welcome to K9

Jackie and the [SIZE=14pt]MULCAIR WHIPPETS [/SIZE]

any help you need I am sure on of us on K9 can help or advice :thumbsup:

congratulations on your litter :cheers: :cheers:

look forward in seeing some piccys :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Many congrats on your litter of pups, don't have any advice, as I've not bred any whippets, but wanted to welcome you to K9, and also can't wait to see some pics of the little beauties.

Andrea

*mum* to Tascha and Mysti

Welcome to k9 Bill :cheers: Don't have any advice but could we pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeze have some pics of your babies they sound lovely :wub:

All those blacks and no photos of them. Can't believe that you have posted on here about a litter of pups and not put any photos on. Just too cruel. :D

I've not bred a litter but I've know of people's dogs who have helped clean pups. It all depends on the dog and bitch I think.

cant wait to see the piccies.all dogs are different,my stud dogs would run a mile at the sight of a pup.they were terrified of them!ive had bitches who have kidnapped another bitches pup and started to get milk and feed them!(ill have to write a book one day!)i would wait till they are about 4 or 5 weeks old let the male see them and smell them but do it under control just in case.after gradually introducing them bit by bit he should be ok with them when the litter are ready to go and youre ready to keep the ones you want.just use common sense and dont leave him alone with them in case there are any problems :)

Hi

Congratulations m8y , your puppies sound beautifull :)

Nice One :)

Hi. Welcome to K9 and congratulations on your litter of pups. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Looking forward to seeing some pics. :wub: :wub: :wub:

:wub: Hi we introduced our pups to the rest of the family at about 6 weeks but their father and my other 2 males would have nothing to do with them. Just to be on the safe side we put a cage in the corner for the males as a bolt hole to hid in. Needles to say you only had to mention the puppies are coming in and 3 of them flew to the cage. The only one who would put up with them was my younger male although he had to be stopped as he was a bit to rough for them.Also my greyhound was quite happy to let them climb all over him as long as he could get on the chairs to get away from them when he had had enough of them

As others already said; I think you are going to find your male will want to have nothing to do with the pups. But if your male lives normally in the house he is probably feeling confused for being excluded from all the excitement. I would let him to just come in the room, provided Nelly allows it.

All my dogs are very close and my bitches are generally happy for everybody to have a sniff (under my supervision) when the pups are couple of days old. But once they established what all the strange smells and noises are, they usually walk away with sort of YUK expression on their faces and do not go back until the puppies start playing.

You can look at my last litter and how my other Whippet helped with the nursery duties.

http://www.k9community.co.uk/forums/index....c=9362&hl=blimp

Can't wait to see the pics of your babies!

Lida

Last edited by a moderator:
:cheers: Welcome to K9 can't wait to see some pics of your new family :cheers:

My last litter - Layla let her half brother Otto (not the father of the pups) have a look when the pups were a couple of days old but I don't think she would have wanted him to come any closer and after he had satisfied his curiosity I kept him away.

Generally speaking though I don't let other dogs or bitches near mother and pups in the early stages - and even when they are older I find younger adults and males too rough with pups.

Ditto to what's been said - You've really got to work it out for yourself and find what you and your dogs are comfortable with.

Looking forward to seeing pics of the babies :wub:

Thanks to all for your kinds words and great advice. I'll get some pics on here at the soonest opportunity.

is this the same bitch that you got last year?if so she only about 15 months old (w00t) sorry if i got my facts wrong.

Hi Bill .............All those blacks .......Heaven :wub: ........My male was desperate to see the pup's as soon as they were born (even though they wern't "his").......He even had to be kept away from the vet after she dew clawed them :oops: .......I used to let him have a quick look as long as "Mum" was comfortable........Then as soon as the babes were up and about I brought them downstairs during the day to "interact" with the grown ups (supervised of course)........... :luck: :luck: with the babies and we will need photos asap :thumbsup:

Have to agree with Jax on this one Bill 'play it by ear'

Watch the mum very carefully the first time you try and let him near them any signs of stress take him away. She may be fine, the mother of our last litter didnt mind the others visiting her pups at all. But we have had one who was very protective and wouldnt let the others near for a long while.

Interesting post,as other's have said,play it by ear.

So far, I've only bred 1 litter of whippies.As all of our dogs and bitches live in the house with us,and,my bitch whelped in our living room.Whilst the whelping was going on,I did shut all of my other dogs except 1 outside,but,as soon as the bitch had finished whelping,and her and the pups were settled in a bed, all of our other dogs were allowed access to them.

Our bitch did not mind any of our whipetts and 1 Grey sniffing,licking and cleaning her pups.We only had 1 bitch (a Grey) who Gypsy would not let anywhere near her pups.

If I was you,I would think exactly how you wish to assist your bitch in rearing these pups.As Bj has already mentioned,if your dog is used to being close,and,at the moment is being secluded,I would seriously consider allowing him access,supervised access,and follow your bitches wishes on this matter.If she tells him to bugger off and leave his family alone,it would be a very stupid dog to ignore this warning.

I personally think that separation from any family members (human or canine) can be detrimental.If their father does not meet these pups until they are older,if he doesn't like them,it will take longer for him to accept them.

I appreciate that my views are not the same on puppy rearing as everybody else's.A lot of ppl I know and respect threw their hands up in horror,that I allowed my dogs to mix with,nurse/care for Gypsy's pups.

Reasons that I remeber being

1) What about bringing infection in ?

2) Aren't you worried that yours dogs/other bitches may harm the pups ?

As I carried on exercising my other dogs,unless I disinfected them every time they re-entered the house from going outside.I decided to run this risk,which with normal hygene, I believe to be minimal.

A pup that is just born,or a few hrs old,is no threat to any of my older dogs,either in pack position or anything else I can think of.So why would my dogs want to harm or attack them ?Plus,they have their mother with them,who has just proved to the whole pack that she is the top bitch and her word is law and the final answer :thumbsup: ..........like most woman ? :p .

We do not know, what your facilities are like.So can only picture your set-up,you need to decide what you wish,for the happy weeks ahead.

Lyd

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back