The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Advice Needed Whelping A Single Pup

Roz

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I have bred a couple of litters over the past 10 years without any problems, but would like advice on whelping a single pup. Do vets prefer to do a caesarean on the due date, or let the bitch go for a couple of days to see if she will deliver by herself? Does anyone have any experience in this area?

Thanks, Roz.

Roz said:
I have bred a couple of litters over the past 10 years without any problems, but would like advice on whelping a single pup.  Do vets prefer to do a caesarean on the due date, or let the bitch go for a couple of days to see if she will deliver by herself?  Does anyone have any experience in this area?Thanks,  Roz.

Is it definitely a single? Even at advanced stages of pregnancy, ultrasound or xray evaluation of the uterine contents can be an inaccurate science! Caesarian on the due date isn't recommended at all - there is a large variation in parturition timing and so there's a high risk of pups being born premature this way. I think discuccing this with the vet in question would be the best move, but I imagine they'll wait and see what happens on the day, taking into account the bitch's history. Caesarian sections should be a last resort.

I once had single pup in my Dane, she needed forceps. There were couple of solo Whippets pups announced on k9 recently and i am sure they were born naturally. Are you sure there is only one? Some vets do ceasar at drop of the hat. it all depends how big this puppy is and how big the bitch's pelvis is and how fit she is, if it is first litter it may be more difficult than if she already had a litter previously. :luck:

Lida

Thanks for response. Yes, absolutely sure there is only one puppy. I am concerned because someone on another list has said that she took her bitch to the vet on the due date and also the following day as she was worried, only to be told that she should be patient and wait. The next day, another vet did an emergency caesarean and the puppy was born dead. He stated that the puppy had not been dead for very long. The vet that examined the bitch the previous day confirmed that it was alive. I am obviously worried about this happening again.

Roz.

Roz said:
Thanks for response. Yes, absolutely sure there is only one puppy. I am concerned because someone on another list has said that she took her bitch to the vet on the due date and also the following day as she was worried, only to be told that she should be patient and wait. The next day, another vet did an emergency caesarean and the puppy was born dead. He stated that the puppy had not been dead for very long. The vet that examined the bitch the previous day confirmed that it was alive. I am obviously worried about this happening again. Roz.

That's a risk that has to be taken I'm afraid. Single pup litters have a higher risk of uterine inertia (when the womb doesn't push the pup out properly, and the bitch may not show the outward signs of labour). This in turn increases the likelihood of a dead pup. But caesaring too early can also lead to dead pups. If you are concerned, you can discuss measuring your bitch's temperature with your vet. If it starts to fall you can be reasonably sure of labour within the next 12 hours or so, and they may agree to caesar her then.

Roz said:
Thanks for response. Yes, absolutely sure there is only one puppy. I am concerned because someone on another list has said that she took her bitch to the vet on the due date and also the following day as she was worried, only to be told that she should be patient and wait. The next day, another vet did an emergency caesarean and the puppy was born dead. He stated that the puppy had not been dead for very long. The vet that examined the bitch the previous day confirmed that it was alive. I am obviously worried about this happening again. Roz.

This is going to sound stupid but im breeding from my first greyhound,im an expert on lines and have picked what i reckon is the perfect sire for my dog(sonic flight!!)however on the practical side of things im clueless,for instance when my bitch is about to have the pups do i ring the vet or will i let nature take its course,thats the onlly part im worried about,any advice will be very much appreciated!!

Pepsi Max said:
This is going to sound stupid but im breeding from my first greyhound,im an expert on lines and have picked what i reckon is the perfect sire for my dog(sonic flight!!)however on the practical side of things im clueless,for instance when my bitch is about to have the pups do i ring the vet or will i let nature take its course,thats the onlly part im worried about,any advice will be very much appreciated!!
Google 'book of the bitch' and take it from there - as far as I can see, most breeders see it as the bible!

Have you tried phoning your vet or arranging an appointment to get your bitch checked over and discuss your concerns? Probably the best course of action once you have an idea of the basics.

ILoveKettleChips said:
Pepsi Max said:
Google 'book of the bitch' and take it from there - as far as I can see, most breeders see it as the bible!

Have you tried phoning your vet or arranging an appointment to get your bitch checked over and discuss your concerns? Probably the best course of action once you have an idea of the basics.

another devotee of 'the book..' absolutely a must have, this was the book that told me about hormone injections, which stopped my vet getting too scalpel happy when my girl had inertia. good luck :luck:

Definitely, learn all about it, so you understand what is going on, but healthy fit young greyhound should have no problem whelping her litter! :luck:

Lida

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back