The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Advice on ears and apoquel please

LeosMum

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I have a 4yr old yellow lab, Leo. He suffers from itchy ears which develop to infection and he licks his feet. We've had various medications,changed his diet from raw to Wafcol salmon and potato. Vet has now suggested apoquel. Can anyone who has had similar issues give any advice?
Many thanks

How long since you changed his diet? It can take a few weeks on a new food for anything he was reacting to to clear his system.

How long since you changed his diet? It can take a few weeks on a new food for anything he was reacting to to clear his system.
Hi Joanne. He's been on wafcol for a couple of years now.
He's having recurring infections every 3/4 months, so not seasonal.

One of my ferrets has itchy ears at the mo and I am about to try a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda dissolved in a cup of warm water, just to wipe and clean his ears with for a few days and see if that gives him some relief...a nice simple remedy that might be worth trying? I can let you know if it has helped at all later in week...
Also if you are not sure about Apoquel, maybe have a look at alternatives, some dogs respond well with herbal remedies, maybe have a look at the Dorwest site(www.dorwest.com)and see what you think

Or Thornit powder?

Are they definitely itchy and not sore? Ear infections can be really deep.

Just had a quick read up on Thornit powder as had never heard of it before! Sounds a worthy remedy to try also.

We've been using Thornit, it does give him short term relief, but after vet visit yesterday, they said both were infected. The treatment he has is osurnia gel, a pipette in each ear,then repeat treatment next week, £75 this week and next. He definitely has issues because of head shaking, but I want to get to the root of the problem, rather than just constant medication. I have suggested tests, but they say it won't solve it, whjch I understand, but would like to know what causes it.
Feel like I'm losing faith in my vets......

One of my ferrets has itchy ears at the mo and I am about to try a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda dissolved in a cup of warm water, just to wipe and clean his ears with for a few days and see if that gives him some relief...a nice simple remedy that might be worth trying? I can let you know if it has helped at all later in week...
Also if you are not sure about Apoquel, maybe have a look at alternatives, some dogs respond well with herbal remedies, maybe have a look at the Dorwest site(www.dorwest.com)and see what you think
Thank you, I will look at for dorwest.com

I use Quistel once a fortnight for my dogs it keeps their ears clean and kills mites it's an old remedy but works for us,we have never had a ear infection :)

Feel like I'm losing faith in my vets......

You are well within your rights to seek a 2nd opinion from another vet...like you say you would rather try and find out what's causing the problem if possible...

One of my former dogs, Olli, a Spanish Waterdog, suffered from ear infections a lot. Only after testing what caused the infections the appropriate medication could be given which finally worked.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back