The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Advice Please From You Horsey K9ers

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I know just what you are going through as I have the same thing with my 15 year old ID x TB Roscoe. He had to be retired in June and he has arthritis. He has always had a superb topline, always been clipped out in winter etc. This winter I have been determined not to clip him as he's not working - so difficult to see him looking like a teddy bear! I feed him Dodson and Horrell Pasture Mix and Dengie Alfa A, with some Bailey's Outshine (brilliant stuff) and some super codlivine, with sugar beet as a top dressing. He also has hay ad lib, 24 hours a day. Although really sad to see the top line go, remember that if they are not in work you will see a vast difference. I fed Roscoe on haylage last winter and thereafter he wouldn't touch hay, so unless you are prepared to feed haylage constantly be aware ;)

Roscoe made me laugh today. Under saddle he is very lame bless him. But today he was galloping around his paddock bucking and rearing and squealing like a very sound 2 year old - no hint of lameness!

I know just what you are going through as I have the same thing with my 15 year old ID x TB Roscoe. He had to be retired in June and he has arthritis. He has always had a superb topline, always been clipped out in winter etc. This winter I have been determined not to clip him as he's not working - so difficult to see him looking like a teddy bear! I feed him Dodson and Horrell Pasture Mix and Dengie Alfa A, with some Bailey's Outshine (brilliant stuff) and some super codlivine, with sugar beet as a top dressing. He also has hay ad lib, 24 hours a day. Although really sad to see the top line go, remember that if they are not in work you will see a vast difference. I fed Roscoe on haylage last winter and thereafter he wouldn't touch hay, so unless you are prepared to feed haylage constantly be aware ;)
Roscoe made me laugh today. Under saddle he is very lame bless him. But today he was galloping around his paddock bucking and rearing and squealing like a very sound 2 year old - no hint of lameness!
they are tinkers aint they!!! amazed to see shetland i know with terrible laminitis , hobbled everywhere til a bucket was in sight and then he would challenge any racehorse!!! (w00t)

im impressed with outshine, i lost my old boy at 31 nov 08 and it was the only thing that stopped his weight dropping further, i was putting a whole bag of alfa oil , and outshine mixed in for him to eat ad lib , as well as haylage, i too went down the every food on market route with the other horse i lost at 31 in 07, i spent silly amounts on various feeds to no avail , she had anal cancer ver advanced however she was still so bright and still fizzy even on the day she was pts , feeding older horses is at times complex but when you get the balance right they can go on for many more happy years with minimal distruption to normal horse feeding

they are tinkers aint they!!! amazed to see shetland i know with terrible laminitis , hobbled everywhere til a bucket was in sight and then he would challenge any racehorse!!! (w00t)

im impressed with outshine, i lost my old boy at 31 nov 08 and it was the only thing that stopped his weight dropping further, i was putting a whole bag of alfa oil , and outshine mixed in for him to eat ad lib , as well as haylage, i too went down the every food on market route with the other horse i lost at 31 in 07, i spent silly amounts on various feeds to no avail , she had anal cancer ver advanced however she was still so bright and still fizzy even on the day she was pts , feeding older horses is at times complex but when you get the balance right they can go on for many more happy years with minimal distruption to normal horse feeding
Angel44 - Roscoe - lovely name. From what you've written I'm on the right track just need to change his feed a little. And as for your haylage comment, that is extremely helpful as Storm is very fussy and once on haylage can't see him wanting to go back to hay, although at the moment the hay he has is wonderful but still never as tasty as haylage - not that I've tried it lol!!!!!!! It's hard seeing him loose condition and look like a horse that isn't worked, but he is truly enjoying life and that is all I can wish for. Roscoe sounds so like Storm, sometimes when he his cantering round the field I do think to myself should I get him back into work but I have tried on and off for 4 years that I am leaving him retired. You missing riding Roscoe?

Poshtotty - so sorry to hear about your horses, what fantastic ages they lived til - well done you. Your right you can spend so much money of feeds and keep trying so many out that it becomes ridiculous. I just want a good balance for Storm without too much diet change so he can live as long as he can happy and healthy. There has been some really helpful comments for me on this and Bailey's Outshine certainly looks like a good one to change him onto.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back