The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Advise Needed-Disturbed Sleep Pattern After Surgery

shyvas

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hello All

I`ve been helping my elderly cousin to care for her dog who has undergone surgery a month ago for teeth surgery. The pet is approx. 13 years old (small/medium crossbreed who is a rescue dog) and had 20 teeth extracted.

Prior to the surgery she would sleep 12 hours and would wake up at around 8/8.30 am or until my cousin would get up.

The procedure went well aside the fact that the stiches still bothered her until last week. We took the pet back and more stiches were removed. She was also given some anti inflammatory medication which has helped. The major issue is that since she has recovered her sleep pattern has changed drastically and she wakes up every morning at 6 am and demands to get up.
Would there be a link to anesthesia or some other issue that we may not have though of?

She seems her old self, goes for walks and eats like a horse. I`d be grateful for any useful advise or tips to get her back to her old sleeping habits.

Thank You.

I'm pretty sure I've read on here that anaesthesia can mess with a dog's (or human's) brain for some time, so I suspect that's what has happened.

As for how to get her back to her old routine... The first question is how much of a problem this is - would your cousin be able to manage if this was the 'new normal'? She could try blackout blinds in the room the dog sleeps, to block morning light.

Also, is she eating more than previously, and has her diet changed to take into account her lack of teeth? It might be that a change of diet means she wakes up hungrier... or needs to toilet earlier than she used to.

I'm pretty sure I've read on here that anaesthesia can mess with a dog's (or human's) brain for some time, so I suspect that's what has happened.

As for how to get her back to her old routine... The first question is how much of a problem this is - would your cousin be able to manage if this was the 'new normal'? She could try blackout blinds in the room the dog sleeps, to block morning light.

Also, is she eating more than previously, and has her diet changed to take into account her lack of teeth? It might be that a change of diet means she wakes up hungrier... or needs to toilet earlier than she used to.

My cousin is nearly a 100 yrs old so having to wake and get up at 6 am is a major issue for her. She has blinds so it`s not the daylight that is bothering the pooch.

As she had 20 teeth removed (no upper and lower ones left) we put her onto a pureed diet which she loves. I make sure that she is getting the same amount of kibble (pureed) and vegetables as before. I also give her a snack of pureed apples and soft pb soft biscuits. So, she can`t be hungry and she drinks the same amount of water prior to the surgery. I also make sure that she goes out on her walks to piddle.

I also think that the medication has messed up with her brain but what can be done? I`m a believer of homeopatic remedies for animals but my cousin is in the US where it`s not easily available.

Thank you for your response.

There is one thing that I can think of - it might be worth a shot.

You could try pre-empting her. For a week or so, get up at 5.45 and take her out. The idea is that she learns to anticipate being taken out. After a week, take her out at 6.00. If she is expecting to be taken out, she hopefully will wait for you. Then, after a few days take her out at 6.15; then after a few days of that, 6.30. Continue the pattern until you reach a good getting up time.

There is one thing that I can think of - it might be worth a shot.

You could try pre-empting her. For a week or so, get up at 5.45 and take her out. The idea is that she learns to anticipate being taken out. After a week, take her out at 6.00. If she is expecting to be taken out, she hopefully will wait for you. Then, after a few days take her out at 6.15; then after a few days of that, 6.30. Continue the pattern until you reach a good getting up time.

Thank you so much for your response. However due to her age and health issues, my cousin cannot manage to do such a schedule.

Does the dog sleep in her bedroom? If not, it might be worth considering whether it's doable - if the dog wants company, being in with your cousin might be enough to settle down for a bit longer - maybe even cuddled in bed?

Is it possible to give her a walk, or play games (don't have to be active - just get her brain working) when she would normally settle down to sleep, so delaying her bedtime? Also, if she wants to go out, particularly for a poo, first thing, juggling mealtimes may help.

But you also have to consider that as both your cousin and her dog get older, it will be come harder for her to care for her dog. If you don't have a contingency plan, it would be worth thinking about one now. Depending on your circimstances, if you can't find any other solutions, it might even involve you or another family member sleeping there overnight.

Does the dog sleep in her bedroom? If not, it might be worth considering whether it's doable - if the dog wants company, being in with your cousin might be enough to settle down for a bit longer - maybe even cuddled in bed?

Is it possible to give her a walk, or play games (don't have to be active - just get her brain working) when she would normally settle down to sleep, so delaying her bedtime? Also, if she wants to go out, particularly for a poo, first thing, juggling mealtimes may help.

But you also have to consider that as both your cousin and her dog get older, it will be come harder for her to care for her dog. If you don't have a contingency plan, it would be worth thinking about one now. Depending on your circimstances, if you can't find any other solutions, it might even involve you or another family member sleeping there overnight.

She sleeps on the bed between my cousin and her husband. They have to retire early due to their age so everyone is in bed at around 9 pm. Prior to her operation, they would normally go to bed at around 8 pm. So no games or walks.

My cousin manages well with walks. vet visits etc. The plan if something should happen is that the pet would live with her younger daughter.

The vet thinks that she may have a urinary tract infection but my cousin decided against her having the bladder procedure. This morning she was up at 6 am once again.

my cousin decided against her having the bladder procedure. This morning she was up at 6 am once again.

Is that in the dog's best interest? (Or your cousin's, if this is the cause of her early rising.) Would it not be treatable with antibiotics?

Is that in the dog's best interest? (Or your cousin's, if this is the cause of her early rising.) Would it not be treatable with antibiotics?

She doesn`t have any symptoms of UTI and was on a course of antibiotics after the op.
I want to ask the vet which drug they used to put her under but my cousin is reticent. I have
noticed that many Americans don`t seem to be very assertive when it comes to asking questions.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back