The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Afghan's Doing Agility!!! Some Pics

Wonderful pictures! I used to spend hours and days and weeks as a kid doing 'agility' in the back garden with our Gordon Setter - he loved it! He could jump enormous heights!! Go for it ILKC!!! :lol:

Miss Madam said:
I have a lurcher that i used to do agility with in my garden, but my jumps, see-saw, walking frame etc were all home-made and i just used a childs tunnel, my lurcher a (bed/whip) was actually quite good at it but there was no agility clubs near me & there still isnt and any time i went to country fairs were there was agility demo's i would ask them for info but i got the impression they didnt want to know because of my dog being a lurcher which was very upseting, and i know that you have to be in a club to compete which was annoying because i think my dog would have done well. :)
That's terrible, lots of people told me when i started that you won't do well unless you get a Border Collie! Even my ex hubby used to say as i trundled off to training that it's like playing golf with a cricket bat, using a Lurcher for Agility!!!! Me and Woody have certainly showed them!!! We 'won out' of Starters last May, beating 198 other dogs, most of which would be BC's!!!

BC's are certainly the best for agility with their amazing speed, enthusiasm, intelligence, stamina and to see one storm round the ring is an amazing sight, if you blink you miss them, but i could not live with one :wacko: . For the sake of the 20 odd shows i go to yearly, i could not live with them the other days of the year!!! I like my lazy Lurchers!!!!! Maybe as i get more experienced i'll change my mind though..... :- "

Things are changing though, Newton Heath DTC hold an ABC ("Anything But Collies"!!!!!) final every June at Tatton Park, Cheshire. Border Collies and Working Sheepdogs and their crosses are strictly BANNED!! They have qualifying shows throughout the year all over the country where the top 4 qualify for the final. At the final all the other rings stop and everyone crowds round the ABC ring to watch the finalists run their hearts out, the atmosphere is fantastic. Some shows also award ABC rosettes to the highest placed ABC winners in each class :thumbsup: I'm hopeful for Woody as last year we came 7th at a qualifier so maybe we'll do a bit better this year, we have a qualifier in Leeds soon so watch this space!!! :luck:

Gina, me & jac are St Helens & Astley area - where would be our nearest clubs?

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back