The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Alizin

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
:angry: :angry: :angry: At the risk of causing offence: :rant: :rant: :rant: If you take on a bitch puppy, you should be prepared for when she comes in season and have precautions in place to avoid accidental matings :angry:

All these poor bitches that have had major health problems, or died or have puppies from their first season. People should be more responsible :rant:

Ignorance is not an excuse :angry:

It makes me so sad :angry: The poor, poor girlies
I 100% agree with Eves post

:angry: :angry: :angry: At the risk of causing offence: :rant: :rant: :rant: If you take on a bitch puppy, you should be prepared for when she comes in season and have precautions in place to avoid accidental matings :angry:

All these poor bitches that have had major health problems, or died or have puppies from their first season. People should be more responsible :rant:

I haven't taken offence, but I'd be interested to hear what precautions you think are appropriate. Grace is always under close supervision when in season and I have a very secure garden (even the cats can't get out) but I can't imagine not taking her out for a walk for three weeks. We'd both go bonkers. Even with her on a lead it is just remotely possible a male dog could rush up and take advantage. What would you do in that situation? I think if it happened I would try to pick her up and get her out of the way but it might be a tricky one.

...but accidents do happen, a labrador cross once climbed my 6 foot fence into the garden and mated my Tibetan Spaniel years ago, she had been out there less than a minute and I had the door open. yes there are many irresponsible people around...but accidently matings do happen!!!

I agree, accidents do happen. It is just that they happen too often. :(

A lot of people take on a bitch puppy without thinking through the long term needs and consequences of seasons. Accidents are mainly due to a failure of owners to educate themselves as to exactly what problems need to be faced and the behaviour of both bitches and dogs when a bitch is in season.

A dog after a bitch in season can be very determined and sometimes quite agressive if deterred from his intentions. :devil: :ninja: :pirate: I used to walk my unspayed bitch late at night and carry a bitter apple spray and a walking stick. Mostly, I just spent a lot of extra time with her in the garden playing ball and frisbee. Not much fun for either of us but a lot better than the other possible consequences. I do think that bitches not required for breeding should be neutered after their first season or at about 14 months. I know that this is not an option for show dogs however but owners who show are pretty clued up on dog behaviour.

Hi new on this site, but in this dillema. My Staffie 11 months old, had the injection and two courses of antibiotics(bcause they thought she had the infection) and is pregnant and due in 3 days... Soooo worried pups will be affected. Feeling so upset with our vet. :rant: love Candice
welcome

good luck with the whelping i hope all goes well.

the vet didn't force you to have this inj and i't s not his fault it didn't work these things happen

we had this injection although it was a looong time ago and the drugs are better now but please keep a close eye on the pups even if all seems ok

...but accidents do happen, a labrador cross once climbed my 6 foot fence into the garden and mated my Tibetan Spaniel years ago, she had been out there less than a minute and I had the door open. yes there are many irresponsible people around...but accidently matings do happen!!!
Yep, happened to my bitch years ago as well. I had a Weimaraner/ lab cross. I was keeping her in the garden and well supervised. Or so I thought until a local border collie scaled the 5 and a half foot fence...beautiful litter of pups and all got good homes but she was too young. She was spayed asap.

Another reason why I only have boys now!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back