The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Alizin

maggymills

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Just thought I'd let breeders aware that recently at the vets i work at, we had a female whippet- she had been made pregnant by her brother so was in for the reliable alizin inj. But shocking it destroyed the uterus and gave her peritonits, she had an emergency operation but may still die. She has lost 3kg, down to 9.5kg, its so sad. Apparantly there is only a 1% failure rate, and she was that 1, her owners were distraught, hope she recovers well.

But i thought i would make people aware that there is a slight risk .

There's definitely a risk with any drug used to terminate pregnancy. It sounds like in this case the uterus contracted so strongly it ruptured. Mesalin, the other commonly used 'morning-after' injection also carries risks, mainly about an 8-11% risk of pyometra. And the course of tablets that can be given have been known to leave one big pup in the uterus, which later requires a caesarian section.

I hate using any of these things ... I know accidents do happen but I have seen several bitches have to go through major surgery to save their lives after developing pyo following these drugs. We have to use them far too often. I hope this poor wee girl comes through. :(

Oh that sounds awful - really hope this bitch picks up :luck:

Hope she gets well soon :luck: :luck: :luck:

OK me being thick 'again' :- " would it not have been better to let her have the pups??? or does something happen because it was her brother?? :( or was it just the owner not wanting 'bad pups'

Hope i havent upset anyone

Mmmmmmm I think I would be inclined to let nature take its course as well unless there was a very good reason not to. My Vet is also quite reluctant to give the injections to stop seasons because of the risk of pyometra.

Someone I know who has 2 whippets had an accidental mating (bitches 1st season at 11 months) I'm not sure which drug was used, but the vet assured her there was a 95% success rate - she had 2 very healthy pups!!

As much as I would try to avoid an early mating or a close mating, I would not have any of mine injected, I have heard of many failures and in one instant malformed puppies. O. K. it may not have been the drugs that caused it, but the vet couldn't assure her that it wasn't.

ILoveKettleChips said:
There's definitely a risk with any drug used to terminate pregnancy.  It sounds like in this case the uterus contracted so strongly it ruptured.  Mesalin, the other commonly used 'morning-after' injection also carries risks, mainly about an 8-11% risk of pyometra.  And the course of tablets that can be given have been known to leave one big pup in the uterus, which later requires a caesarian section.
I hate using any of these things ... I know accidents do happen but I have seen several bitches have to go through major surgery to save their lives after developing pyo following these drugs.  We have to use them far too often.  I hope this poor wee girl comes through.  :(

We have just had a young Springer Spaniel bitch develop pyometra last month after Mesalin injections. It was not initially diagnosed, despite that the phamaceutrical trials warnings that this could happen, and she was very ill. Fortuneately, she is fine again now but what does the future hold.

I would have let her have the puppies and then been far more careful next time. Its very sad, I would'nt mess with seasons or anything, I know some show people do and then have real trouble getting the bitch in whelp when they do want to.

I hope the poor little girl pulls through this.

poor 'newt' did pull thru' but last week she came in and had to be put on a drip- dropped back down to 8kg- so sad. We had to remove the sutures as she was allergic to them!- she is such a lovely girl, she just lay on the table on her side while we cut out the stitches- i didnt need to even hold her down- she just wanted to be cuddled :wub: :(

Igot some food down her and let the Owner take her home to care for her- hope nothing else comes up,fingers crossed :wacko:

Hi new on this site, but in this dillema. My Staffie 11 months old, had the injection and two courses of antibiotics(bcause they thought she had the infection) and is pregnant and due in 3 days... Soooo worried pups will be affected. Feeling so upset with our vet. :rant: love Candice

Hope all goes well for you and the pups

So sad when this happens

Let us know how you get on

BTW Welcome to the forum and feel free to ask questions :thumbsup:

How horrible for you and the bitch - I hope it all works out ok

candicewharton said:
Hi new on this site, but in this dillema. My Staffie 11 months old, had the injection and two courses of antibiotics(bcause they thought she had the infection) and is pregnant and due in 3 days... Soooo worried pups will be affected. Feeling so upset with our vet. :rant: love Candice

I am sorry, i am not sure what you are talking about? Has the vet given your pregnant bitch antibiotic and you are worried that may affect the pups? Why be angry with him? If she had an infection she had to have antibiotic or she could have died. Forty years ago it was usual practice for course of antibiotics to be given routinely to pregnant bitches, so i would not worry too much.

OR does your bitch have an unplanned pregnancy and the abortion drug did not work? Why would you be angry with your vet?

No sure Seraphina, but the way I'm reading it is that they had the injection and then later though she had an infection when she was actually pregnant?

Don't know if that's right :blink:

TCx

TC said:
No sure Seraphina, but the way I'm reading it is that they had the injection and then later though she had an infection when she was actually pregnant?
Don't know if that's right  :blink:

TCx

I do not think that there is any doubt when bitch has an infection. I have had a pregnant bitch with infection = smelly brown/green discharge, she got strong course of antibiotic and whelped 15 healthy puppies! She was a Dane :)

I still cannot see why be angry with the vet. Sometimes things work and sometimes they may not.

Do not give ur dogs the alizin injection i made the mistake of getting it done to my staffie and she died the next day she was in perfect health and only 2 and a half yrs old!!!!

Thanks for raising this issue :thumbsup: - it is a useful warning to those of us with a bitch in season! As Grace is at the moment!! Knowing this will make me much more vigilant to avoid an unwanted pregnancy. :b Have to say I was being careful anyway but thought there was a fall back position if the worst happened. Now I know that it isn't a road I would be prepared to risk going down.

:angry: :angry: :angry: At the risk of causing offence: :rant: :rant: :rant:

If you take on a bitch puppy, you should be prepared for when she comes in season and have precautions in place to avoid accidental matings :angry:

All these poor bitches that have had major health problems, or died or have puppies from their first season. People should be more responsible :rant:

Ignorance is not an excuse :angry:

It makes me so sad :angry: The poor, poor girlies

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back